Jump to content
Guest chrismoo

New and unsure how to move forward!

Recommended Posts

Guest chrismoo

Hi all,


My name's Christina, I am 26 year old working in London as a Housing Officer for Wandsworth Borough Council. I am currently in Oz on holiday visiting family but I'm heading back to the UK on Friday.


I have been mulling over the possibility of moving to Oz for some time now. I am an expat at heart, having been born in the Middle East and I have enjoyed my life in the UK but I long for the better weather, beaches, and a better life. My last 3 weeks here have just clarified my thoughts and I am now very keen to see how I can move forward.


I'm single, no kids, no mortgage, so it would be fairly straight forward in that respect. Just my dog Hooli to think about, who I'd want to bring with me of course (have read all about Dr Bob so thanks for the info!)


I've been reading this forum, and I've approached various agencies as well as spending a lot of time on the Australian Immigration website. However, all this has done is thoroughly confuse me!! MODL, SOL, CSL... so many lists and I'm not sure how they apply to me and what route to go down!


I have spoken to quite a few Poms over here my age and most of them have told me to get a 12 month working holiday visa and then just get sponsored when I'm over here, they all seem to have done this and been successful. However, when I looked on the immigration website, it seemed to suggest this was not really the right thing to do as the working holiday visa is designed for what it says on the tin, so I feel like doing this, when I know in my heart that my aim would be to come to Oz with the intention of staying for an extended period/permanently, would be dishonest.


My current job seems to appear on the SOL list... under Community Worker. What does this mean for my visa prospects? I also have an Uncle and Aunt in Sydney who would be willing to sponsor me. I did the test and apparently have 115 points?


It's all so confusing! Any help would be really, really appreciated!





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Christina. 'tis good to hear you are enjoying Australia.


This article might be of interest for starters:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News


As to visa strategy, a Working Holiday Maker visa might be an element of it, particularly if you are looking at employer sponsorship to facilitate the desired end.


If you are looking at a skilled visa that does not require an employer to sponsor you, be aware that:


- Community Workers are assessed by VETASSESS, and as yours is a 50 point occupation you will require a qualification that is at least equivalent to an Australian degree to obtain the migration assessment letter from VETASSESS.


- Different skilled visa strategies can have very different processing timelines.


Explore this forum for further comments, and maybe have a chat with one or two migration advisors to help formulate your plans - most migration advisors will give you some time at the outset as a freebie.


Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now