• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sal 222
"When we were on the show the cost of living bit was thrown together and although useful as we realised some things are so much more expensive then we thought it's not to be taken too seriously. I agree with the other comments have a look around on line and do the maths in the same way you would budgeting where ever you live. I have noticed high cost items here are;- running a car (each!), toiletries, bedding and white goods. However, shopping local at farmers markets is the way to go...lots of lovely fresh food supporting local people...Like most things over here don't expect to do things the same as you have at home....I have just put up a bog site which shows real life interviews of people making the move - and people on the BBC WDU programme ..it's nothing like poms in oz which is just fantastic..it's more about peoples 'real life experience' - stories really (like a book on line). Poms in Oz is such a fantastic resource for us - anyway check it out feedback would be great - Sal"

Hi Sal, saw the programme today and enjoyed watching and hearing your views/feelings of Oz. The decision to move isn't easy for anyone is it? with everyone having ties whether be it family or Business.

Meeting people already there giving words of wisdom gave your OH a positive outlook and I'm glad he decided to go with it as it looks like you made the right decision in the end. Everything seems to have slotted into place for you and the family, selling the house, Business and your OH finding a new job in Byron Bay.

It looks like a lovely place you're living in and it just shows how you can make it work when you don't dwell on things - which is easier said than done!! Looks like you have settled into the community well and getting out there to make the effort.

It would be interesting to read the on-line blog of other people that have made the move, if you are allowed to give me the details?

I wish you and your family all the best for the future.

Karen

hi - thanks for your comments ... Yes we are settling really well - it's not as easy as we thought though but well worth it..The move is a huge step but the promise of a better life for us and the kids didn't disappoint. Please contact me on my email if you would like to ask any more.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We only really watch WDU to see the houses and the outdoor lifestyle, it is very annoying, well SHE is very annoying and whats the point of the pricing lists, by the time they get there the exchange rate will have changed. Visually Australia looks fantastic and from being there ourselves, it is fantastic, but as a show it doesn't show the true realities of how it is.

I love watching the WDU revisited to see how people are getting on, but some of the episodes seem to just be repeats of WDU, is it because some of the people haven't filmed a revisited episode yet, or don't want to?

The series some times seems to go over old stuff again again when really you want to see where the family is now and how there life is.

One of the old WDU people has started a site you might want to have a read of, she has spoken to some old WDU families and think is going to be adding more.

http://familieswanteddownunder.com/

Tina, Family of Five

I love watching the WDU revisited to see how people are getting on, but some of the episodes seem to just be repeats of WDU, is it because some of the people haven't filmed a revisited episode yet, or don't want to?

This current series which ends Friday is WDU or WDU Revisited, some are 4 years old. It seems most are just fill in's for morning viewing. It is a pointless exercise just showing old WDU's as prices as have changed greatly from original showing across the whole spectrum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I please remind posters that if commenting on this programme, try to refrain from making derogatory comments about those taking part - some of these people are members on here and as such posts will be moderated in accordance with the forum rules regarding personal/insulting remarks

Thanks for your co-operation

Hi Ali

In all honesty let them say what they want. I am sure it isn't going to be on my mind this afternoon while I sip a beer at Mindarie Marina.

Si

I'm sure it won't Si, but it does cause upset for others when people who don't know them are less than kind in their comments

This current series which ends Friday is WDU or WDU Revisited, some are 4 years old. It seems most are just fill in's for morning viewing. It is a pointless exercise just showing old WDU's as prices as have changed greatly from original showing across the whole spectrum.

But thats TV Amaroo, we watch 'Escape to the Country' here and the majority are years old,, it does sometimes say in small letters at the bottom ,'prices in 2008' or whatever but it still interests me as im sure some are still interested in WDU, whether they plan on migrating or not.

Cal x

A bit of a delayed post considering mine was in February when WDU was being shown in UK. They do in all episodes put the date as to when the prices relate to. I was commenting pure and simply on the BBC's seemingly fill in of old episodes, nothing more. Big difference from 'Escape to the Country' and WDU. The problem with WDU is that in most cases the prices given on whatever are normally nowhere near reality. At the moment we have 'Poms in Oz' on its 2nd series which gives a different but far more interesting insight to Pom's who have emigrated. Also running in the papers this week was the story of the couple with 12 children who moved to somewhere near Brisbane. The reports in the papers on costings were queried by many Oz posters as to where they got them from as they were totally different to reality. The major problem with WDU is that anyone who has not visited Oz but takes part in the programme has not got the slightest idea of what Oz is really like when under the scripted care of the BBC for about 7 to 10 days. WDU is nothing more than light entertainment and anyone thinking of emigrating should spend about 6 months researching as most things are available on the net these days. I love Oz with a passion and spend 6 months or so a time when I visit but I doubt I could afford to move and live there at todays cost of living taking everything into consideration.

• 2 months later...
You do mate. Otherwise why post on a thread about a telly programme.

Hi,

I saw some men with cameras filming a couple at a Mindarie school a few months ago, was this you and when will it be on tv? I was hiding behind my sunglasses at the top of steps and tried not to look their way. If I am on the box, I will have to tell my family to look out for it.

Sorry if I've got the wrong people.

Liz

Archived