Moved to OZ on 457 returned to UK lost everything so would we do it again?

Guest crystalrose

Guest crystalrose

:sad:Hi Guys

I just felt I should write a post and share my wisdom with you all. Hope you are sitting comfy and I will begin.........

Around Feb 2008 I decided after a few glasses of wine to post hubbies CV around the world, OH is a scaffolder by trade and at the time we both had good jobs and owned our houses. I received a response from a company in NZ who after a few months flew OH out to Sydney. He was there around a week and subsequently offered a position in Australia. We were soo excited although quite apprehensive. As neither of us are on the most wanted list and do not possess a degree we were granted a 457 working visa. OH gave up his job in UK and flew out in Oct 2007. I was left behind to pack and sell furniture, the children and I even ended up a week with a near bare house. I joined OH in Jan 09 we gave up both houses as neither had any real equity in them anyway. When we arrived in Perth I fell in love it is absolutely beautiful we stayed in Port Kennedy and Warnbro and were looking to eventually move to Secret Harbour. Things started to change with OH job and the job he was promised Senior Technical Advisor was not really the job he was doing. He was sometimes expected to work weekends without pay and the recession started to hit OZ. We were in a furnished rental which we extended and at the last moment our permanent rental fell through, so we had no where to live and panicked with that, feeling really homesick and my mum constantly asking when we were coming home, we decided to return to the UK in March 08. A relative let us stay in their caravan a bit of a squash with three children but we had no furniture which I hasen to add did not arrive back until Oct and is still in storage costing a fortune. I think as soon as we landed at Heathrow in March I knew deep down we had made the biggest mistake of our lives and have continued feeling this way ever since. To make matters worse my sister moved out to Perth as a PR and is loving it her hubbie is a police officer. We managed to find a two bed cottage just before xmas to live in until Feb and hope to be offered Social Housing.

We were lucky in the fact we left our car here with family who gave us it back when we returned only an old Volvo but so realiable, sadly someone drove into the side of me before xmas so it is written off and I am going to buy another one. I had a brand new car in OZ on finance, which I lost lots of money on when we left. We ended up spending all our savings and are starting from scratch. The lucky thing is hubby was offered his job back in the UK as soon they knew he was back. Would we do it all again the answer is simply "YES" we would. We had a fantastic experience and so wished we there now and would go back tomorrow if he could find a suitable sponsor. But sadly deep down I don't think it is ever going to happen although he has lots of experience in his trade and travelled around Australia working for the six months he was out there I don't think there are many companies sponsoring on 457 anymore in his field. We will continue to live in hope and pray.

If you are considering going out go for it but please think really really carefully about returning too soon don't make the terrible mistake we did!!

Good luck to everyone going out you will soo love it like we did!!!:biggrin:

Guest guest30085

Hi

Just wanted to say what a fantastic positive attitude you have even after all youve been through.:notworthy:

Carry on with your dreams and I hope you manage to find a way back over there :hug:

Guest the owens

hi ya u 2 suppose it,s really difficult to no what to do in a situation like you found yourselfs in, you did what you thought was right at the time, never say never keep those chins up and stay positive

Guest annemarie and brian

Thanks for a great post and i hope someday you can return to that place you love.

good luck

annemarie xxx

Guest crystalrose

Thank you all for reading my post and your lovely comments!! We have looked at every option to return but unless OH could get sponsorship in Scaffold Management or Scaffolding then sadly there is really no hope for us. PR is a no go as occupations not on most wanted list and neither of us have a degree. If only we could go back a year!! I guess you never know what the future holds and can hang on to your memories and dream, at least we know if we ever had the opportunity again we would not make the huge mistake of coming back.

Guest scot2oz

Thanks for your post.

We got our visa granted in May 2009 and validated in October 2009 so basically we are ready to go. We got a 175 pr visa which i hear is really good but sometimes i start to get cold feet about it all. we ere hoping to be in oz in October 2010 as we are going to rent our house out and sell our car. Reading your post has kinda reassured me that you sometimes only get one chance and well we have a golden ticket really so whats the worst that can happen.

I hope veryything goes good for you and you get back there soon.

Guest crystalrose
Thanks for your post.

We got our visa granted in May 2009 and validated in October 2009 so basically we are ready to go. We got a 175 pr visa which i hear is really good but sometimes i start to get cold feet about it all. we ere hoping to be in oz in October 2010 as we are going to rent our house out and sell our car. Reading your post has kinda reassured me that you sometimes only get one chance and well we have a golden ticket really so whats the worst that can happen.

I hope veryything goes good for you and you get back there soon.

You are really lucky I would give anything to be in your shoes!! The trouble is you don't always know what you have until you loose it.

Good luck and have a wonderful time living the dreamx

Guest kevinboomer

hey guys,

Great post. Nice to hear someone coming back and being honest about how they made a mistake!

Good on yer!

Alot of people come back and slate Oz. I happen to think life's what you make it , not where you live.It's just window dressing.But a more beautiful and diverse country you won't find!!

We start our new life on 28th Jan and have sold house , everything. No ties apart from family (biggest one of course)

Good luck

Kev&Lisa

Guest Bernicem80

Thanks for being so honest in your post.

You guys have taken it all so well.

We too are on a 457 visa and I sometimes worry that if things go wrong then we will be heading back to the UK. But you are right in saying that this is an experience and if we never tried it we would have never have known!

Hope all goes well for you in the UK and I hope that u do get the chance to get back out here.

(Kevinboomer - we are from Chichester as well! Small world! Well should I say, WERE from Chichester!)

:biggrin:

• 2 years later...
Guest crystalrose

Hi Everyone

3 years since returning from OZ and losing everything. We have experienced a very though three years HOWEVER still want to return to OZ more than anything. Just looking for that special employer who will sponsor my hubby as a scaffolding manager. Ready to do it all again except this time will def not be returning!!

Hi Everyone

3 years since returning from OZ and losing everything. We have experienced a very though three years HOWEVER still want to return to OZ more than anything. Just looking for that special employer who will sponsor my hubby as a scaffolding manager. Ready to do it all again except this time will def not be returning!!

Don't give up, can either of you retrain for a job that you can get pr with?

Archived