register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest jane99

Help! Homesick single Mum in Sydney!

Guest jane99

Hello. Well have made it through the first 6 months and the festivities but am starting to feel a little homesick. However I am determined to stay positive. I need ideas of how my son and I aged 12 can get out together and meet new people. Can anyone make suggestions? :err:

Thanks Jane

Guest tomatohead
Hello. Well have made it through the first 6 months and the festivities but am starting to feel a little homesick. However I am determined to stay positive. I need ideas of how my son and I aged 12 can get out together and meet new people. Can anyone make suggestions? :err:

Thanks Jane

Why not join one of our womens football teams .

Guest jane99

Thanks, an idea but I am rubbish at things like that! At school when they were picking the teams, there was always me and the smelly girl left at the end!! I have joined your facebook group, so let me know if you have another meet up. Jane

Guest tomatohead
Thanks, an idea but I am rubbish at things like that! At school when they were picking the teams, there was always me and the smelly girl left at the end!! I have joined your facebook group, so let me know if you have another meet up. Jane

Sorry to labour the point but what about your son im part of balmain junior soccer club we have 98 teams with players ranging from 5 yrs to 60 yrs and all abilities from the down right useless to the very good we have womens teams mixed teams we are always looking for managers who are usually parents or helpers of any kind to get involved we have B B Q days xmas parties and it is a great social network and it is only round the corner from you how good or bad you or your son are at football will not be an issue cheers Tom

Guest jane99
Sorry to labour the point but what about your son im part of balmain junior soccer club we have 98 teams with players ranging from 5 yrs to 60 yrs and all abilities from the down right useless to the very good we have womens teams mixed teams we are always looking for managers who are usually parents or helpers of any kind to get involved we have B B Q days xmas parties and it is a great social network and it is only round the corner from you how good or bad you or your son are at football will not be an issue cheers Tom

Thanks Tom. Perhaps we should come along and see then. Can you give me info about where and when please. Jane

Guest tomatohead
Thanks Tom. Perhaps we should come along and see then. Can you give me info about where and when please. Jane

Have a look au the website . Balmain and district football club . Loads of information and contacts on there . And if your bored and would like to meet for a coffee im andrew 0458488010

Guest jane99

Thanks Tomatohead for your soccer suggestion. We are looking into it. Am pushing this up again to see if anyone else has an idea!

Guest wiccanwitch

what about bowling or swimming there are normally lots of kids at these ?

Guest SophieB

Hi Jane,

I can't help you with suggestions for ways to meet new people but I will be in Drummoyne in April if you fancy a coffee/big chat. My kids are littlies I'm afraid but it shouldn't matter. I could even try driving over to you on my own :unsure:. You can pm me if you like?

Sophie

Guest jane99
Hi Jane,

I can't help you with suggestions for ways to meet new people but I will be in Drummoyne in April if you fancy a coffee/big chat. My kids are littlies I'm afraid but it shouldn't matter. I could even try driving over to you on my own :unsure:. You can pm me if you like?

Sophie

Thanks Sophie. I would love that. Drummoyne is very nearby. Have PM you. Jane

Guest mutikonka

Hi Jane

If you're son is bored over the holidays and wants to meet up with some English-Aussie kids of the same age, then we are not that far away, in Strathfield. We have two boys, age 12 and 10, and when they're not playing computer they like all the usual boy stuff - skateboarding, swimming and going to the movies as they call them here. If the weather's good I usually take them down to one of the beaches at the weekend for some bodysurfing/boogy-boarding, if your son [and you] would llke to come along.

We've been in Sydney 10 years but I still get terribly homesick at Christmas. We've made a few Aussie friends, but would like to meet up with some other Brits in Sydney.

cheers

Michael

Guest jane99
Hi Jane

If you're son is bored over the holidays and wants to meet up with some English-Aussie kids of the same age, then we are not that far away, in Strathfield. We have two boys, age 12 and 10, and when they're not playing computer they like all the usual boy stuff - skateboarding, swimming and going to the movies as they call them here. If the weather's good I usually take them down to one of the beaches at the weekend for some bodysurfing/boogy-boarding, if your son [and you] would llke to come along.

We've been in Sydney 10 years but I still get terribly homesick at Christmas. We've made a few Aussie friends, but would like to meet up with some other Brits in Sydney.

cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael, Im sure he would love that. We both would. He has made lots of friends at school, but is missing them over the holidays. We have been to the beach a few times, but it isnt that much fun for him playing on his own.

I think it was Christmas that was making us feel both so low. I am back at work this week and already feeling lots better. If you remember you have given me advice before as I am working in Strathfield.

We hope to hear from you soon. Jane

Guest thebexta

Hi Jane

I WAS living over on the NB for many years but moved out west a couple of years back so I'm not much cop 2 u, but I noticed there's a thread in the Aus States forum under "NSW" called "Meet other mums for coffee on the northern beaches" which might be right up your street, from my experience u couldn't be in a more heavily pommy populated area of syd!! I only joined this site yesterday and after quite a few years of struggling to build up a circle of friends I was over the moon to find it. Good Luck, feel free to get in touch if u get overly lonely, I'm married with two younguns but can still natter :)

Guest wanderer

There's all sorts of sports and activities that kids can get involved with Jane, either with parents as supporters or also active and no need to be a star, the SLSA for one where he can get training and be with plenty of kids his own age and all clubs have associate members too for support at functions etc.

The Chinese dragon boat clubs are seeming to become more popular too and then if you like the outdoors, there're quite a few bushwalking, birdwatching or other naturallist clubs about Sydney.

And what about Scouts for a lot of training and mixing with others, weekend hiking and camping etc.

Cricket and Tennis are always popular and plenty of junior competitions run at club levels.

It's probably not always going to be that there'll be an interest that you both share actively and Mums can become part-time taxi drivers but plenty of the above are activities that might take up the best part of a day and you do not need to be around unless helping out [possibly rosters for parents to help/supervise].

And then check out whether there's a Police Citizen Youth Club in the area for that can be another good supervised activity option.

So lots of things that poeople can get involved in and maybe just a case of exploring a few ideas with the lad.

Guest jane99

Well it's 2 years since I started this thread. Thought I might revisit Poms in Oz. You will be glad to hear I am no longer homesick. My son is now 15 and we are very happy here and settled. I have lots of friends but despite hateful online dating I'm still single!! Where to find nice single middle age men in Sydney?!?!

Hi

i just joined this forum hoping to get some advice about making friends. My husband and I arrived here in February with our daughter who is 14. Did you join the clubs suggested to make friends? Feeling a bit lonely Can't help with a date though sorry.