Snow on the driveway

OilDigger

Firstly a happy and prosperous 2010 and new decade to all at PIO. :cool:

So have any of you missed clearing the snow off your drive this winter :biglaugh: Spent a pleasant 30 minutes removing an inch of soft snow yesterday which was a a relief from the ice I had to remove 3 days earlier following the Christmas snow I had left [dozy bugger].

So after 2 massive lighting bolts, thunder and a power cut before midnight, the obligatory fireworks and champagne after midnight have now woken to four more inches of snow and it's still bleaching down :no: so I guess it's out with the snow shovel again and some serious sledgeing with the kids, just as well it's the holiday weekend as everything will be comming to a stop.

Still only 48 days to go until we are living in the Perth sunshine and thats just maybe makes all this snow special for us all.

Snowball fight anyone !!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes, I miss the snow, maybe this next year we will have to go to the ski resorts, especially now Geoff has told me about the bus that runs up there.

Kate

Guest siamsusie
Firstly a happy and prosperous 2010 and new decade to all at PIO.

So have any of you missed clearing the snow off your drive this winter Spent a pleasant 30 minutes removing an inch of soft snow yesterday which was a a relief from the ice I had to remove 3 days earlier following the Christmas snow I had left [dozy bugger].

So after 2 massive lighting bolts, thunder and a power cut before midnight, the obligatory fireworks and champagne after midnight have now woken to four more inches of snow and it's still bleaching down so I guess it's out with the snow shovel again and some serious sledgeing with the kids, just as well it's the holiday weekend as everything will be comming to a stop.

Still only 48 days to go until we are living in the Perth sunshine and thats just maybe makes all this snow special for us all.

And then WA starts to consider winter down in Perth, bring some nice warm fleeces:wink: enjoy your journey and the snow lol

Best wishes

Susie

And then WA starts to consider winter down in Perth, bring some nice warm fleeces:wink: enjoy your journey and the snow lol

Best wishes

Susie

Thanks Susie having been in Perth April may 08 and August 09 we know it gets a little cooler, but as poms coming from zero degrees and snow believe me it will be tropical for us well into the season when folks dig out their winter coats and boots :wink:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Oildigger

The Aussies in Perth have gone soft. They've all got electric blankets on their beds for the winter months these days. No kidding. Have a look in the shops when you get there.

I don't know why they don't simply instal central heating in the houses instead. What is the point of those Scandinavian "log effect" fires which only heat one part of the house?

Cheers

Gill

Guest siamsusie
Hi Oildigger

The Aussies in Perth have gone soft. They've all got electric blankets on their beds for the winter months these days. No kidding. Have a look in the shops when you get there.

I don't know why they don't simply instal central heating in the houses instead. What is the point of those Scandinavian "log effect" fires which only heat one part of the house?

Cheers

Gill

Really? thats a bit naff. If its cold you have to have proper heating Gill or at least wood fires.

:wubclub: I love the smell of log fires.

Susie

Hi Oildigger

Cheers

Gill

Yeah with you there Gill our pom friends who have been there 20 years are wrapped up in layers,, fur slippers etc. Me, Mrs and kids in shorts and tee shirts.

My kids went in our friends pool in Sydney in August, they took pics just to show someone had used the pool in winter.

Still give it two or three winters and I guess we will be the same, reckon I'll get one of those big pot bellied fires just to keep the chill off when that time comes.

Firstly a happy and prosperous 2010 and new decade to all at PIO. :cool:

So have any of you missed clearing the snow off your drive this winter :biglaugh: Spent a pleasant 30 minutes removing an inch of soft snow yesterday which was a a relief from the ice I had to remove 3 days earlier following the Christmas snow I had left [dozy bugger].

So after 2 massive lighting bolts, thunder and a power cut before midnight, the obligatory fireworks and champagne after midnight have now woken to four more inches of snow and it's still bleaching down :no: so I guess it's out with the snow shovel again and some serious sledgeing with the kids, just as well it's the holiday weekend as everything will be comming to a stop.

Hi there

We fly to Perth on 14 February so more or less the same time as you. Who are you flying with and where will you be staying? We are going with Singapore Airlines and have a short term rental for a month in Secret Harbour whilst we look for something more long term.

Guest siamsusie
I'm not sure i would feel safe with an open fire in a timber framed house. I remember the news every night in Qld (in the winter) there was stories of family homes being destroyed by fires caused by log fires.

I had some nice oil filled radiators that worked well.:wink:

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service : The Winter Wrap - Winter Fire Safety

Sorry I meant cast iron fires, with fans (wood heaters) with doors, we are always careful to have the chimneys cleaned though. :wubclub:, also have excellent quality fire guards when kids are around.

Hi there

We fly to Perth on 14 February so more or less the same time as you. Who are you flying with and where will you be staying? We are going with Singapore Airlines and have a short term rental for a month in Secret Harbour whilst we look for something more long term.

Hello Deb,

We are flying Emirates via Dubai on the 17th, staying with friends in Woodvale for the first 2 to 4 weeks and will be contacting the agents next week to look for rentals for us in that area as the kids are going to North Woodvale school, not sure if that will be a final settling point as much depends on where I find work etc.

Hello Deb,

We are flying Emirates via Dubai on the 17th, staying with friends in Woodvale for the first 2 to 4 weeks and will be contacting the agents next week to look for rentals for us in that area as the kids are going to North Woodvale school, not sure if that will be a final settling point as much depends on where I find work etc.

Hi what sort of work are you looking for? My oh is a Gas Fitter/Plumber.

I'm not sure i would feel safe with an open fire in a timber framed house. I remember the news every night in Qld (in the winter) there was stories of family homes being destroyed by fires caused by log fires.

I had some nice oil filled radiators that worked well.:wink:

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service : The Winter Wrap - Winter Fire Safety

Aldo,

It was our friends in Melbourne where I saw the fire, all enclosed thing big cast iron monster with a door etc.

Wouldn't want one with little kids around and I suppose you would have to stop the kids horse play when the bugger was on, but did the job exceptional well in heating the house, but point taken must be the equivalent to chip pans in Scotland :biggrin: there fire safety tele ads are always banging on about chip pan fires.

Not dis-similar to my other half then. He has qualifications in oil and gas only the domestic type.

Well while we remain a hydrocarbon hungry world I'm sure we will continue to find employment and until those bright girls and boys find a suitable, sustainable and economical alternative it'll be keeping the wheels turning, heating on and lights burning.

Archived