do I lose my permanent residency if my de facto relationship breaks down?

Guest spuntik

Guest spuntik

Hi there,

Im not British, but I have found this forum really great, so I have a question. I have been with my aussie partner for 6 years but we have been living in my country in Europe. Now, we would like to settle in Australia. I think that gaining a de facto visa should be no problem considering the length of our relationship but I wanted to ask one question:

Once I get my permanent residency, will it be affected somehow in case my aussie partner leaves me?

I know, Im picturing the worst scenario there is, but you cant influence other people´s behaviour.

Thank you heaps!

Linda

Hi there,

Im not British, but I have found this forum really great, so I have a question. I have been with my aussie partner for 6 years but we have been living in my country in Europe. Now, we would like to settle in Australia. I think that gaining a de facto visa should be no problem considering the length of our relationship but I wanted to ask one question:

Once I get my permanent residency, will it be affected somehow in case my aussie partner leaves me?

I know, Im picturing the worst scenario there is, but you cant influence other people´s behaviour.

Thank you heaps!

Linda

Not unless evidence comes to light that your relationship was not exclusive, genuine and continuing at the time of application.

Guest wanderer

Yes Spuntik,

PR usually means what it infers and that is permanency.

What rusty is inferring is that it would be required to be shown that a person has made a fraudulent application in the first place for a PR to be withdrawn and given in most cases you initially apply for TR and then receive PR on review two years after granting of TR, there's every chance that a fraudulent application may have been discovered earlier than PR granting, most likely in the processing stage.

Other ways you could get a PR withdrawn would be to become a very serious criminal or member of a terrorist organisation.

Guest Gollywobbler
Yes Spuntik,

PR usually means what it infers and that is permanency.

What rusty is inferring is that it would be required to be shown that a person has made a fraudulent application in the first place for a PR to be withdrawn and given in most cases you initially apply for TR and then receive PR on review two years after granting of TR, there's every chance that a fraudulent application may have been discovered earlier than PR granting, most likely in the processing stage.

Other ways you could get a PR withdrawn would be to become a very serious criminal or member of a terrorist organisation.

Who is rusty? Not a contributor to this thread, evidently. Westly hasn't inferred anything. He has simply told the OP what the relevant law is.

Cheers

Gill

Guest spuntik

so obviously it seems like my PR will not be dependent on my relationship with my partner, thats what I wanted to know. The relationship is genuine and exclusive and I might be able for my PR to be granted rightaway, as we have been together for more than 5 years. Thanks a lot everyone!!!

Archived