Have people treated you differently when going home?

Guest pegasus 90

Guest pegasus 90

We have decided to return to U.K after living in Oz for nearly ten years, and since we have announced we are going home we have noticed a distinct shift in how friends & family over here are treating us. I wondered whether anyone else on PIO has experienced the same. Sometimes it is completely blatant & other times it is very subtle; but it seems like we are being treated like we are lepers!. Lack of phone calls, lack of invites, , people giving us a wide berth etc. What is it about returning home does this to people?

Is it because it makes them look inwards to their own decision to live here?. We have never questioned their decision to live here. We have been absolutely shocked with the reaction of some people; some have even been angry WTF??

We don’t hate Australia and don’t engage in Oz bashing, it’s just that we have done nearly 10 years and we feel our time here has naturally come to an end.

Anyone else been through this, cos I just don’t get it!

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I do not think this is just about going home, members also complain about this type of attitude when they announce to friends and family that they are moving to Australia. I think it’s more to do with people’s attitude and the way everyone deals with this sort of news from friends and family. Its almost like a fear of losing someone.

Good luck with the move.:hug:

Guest proud2beaussie

To be perfectly honest with you Pegasus if I had friends who reacted that way I would start to question what sort of friends they are,I can understand them being disappointed when you tell them but if they are real friends they should be happy to accept that you are doing what you think is best for you,as for family reacting badly well hopefully they will get used to it in time.

From my point of view,as an Australian I wish you the best for the future,and I hope you have lots of happy memories from your time here.

Cheers

We have decided to return to U.K after living in Oz for nearly ten years, and since we have announced we are going home we have noticed a distinct shift in how friends & family over here are treating us. I wondered whether anyone else on PIO has experienced the same. Sometimes it is completely blatant & other times it is very subtle; but it seems like we are being treated like we are lepers!. Lack of phone calls, lack of invites, , people giving us a wide berth etc. What is it about returning home does this to people?

Is it because it makes them look inwards to their own decision to live here?. We have never questioned their decision to live here. We have been absolutely shocked with the reaction of some people; some have even been angry WTF??

We don’t hate Australia and don’t engage in Oz bashing, it’s just that we have done nearly 10 years and we feel our time here has naturally come to an end.

Anyone else been through this, cos I just don’t get it!

Do you think it might be that your friends feel like you are rejecting them - not just that Australia isn`t what you want right now but also that their friendship isn`t enough to keep you here?

It may also be a coping mechanism to distance themselves from you now, rather than waking up one day and you not being there, they may not even realise they are doing it. It happens a lot when people move out to Oz too.

Hi , i think i know who is writing this post :) I think yes, some people will think " well what's wrong with oz ? " and so does this make me a ' boring person ' , and 'why do they think they are soo special' if you get my drift . It's a bit like how those who don't like oz so much get pushed aside sometimes , cos ' they don't fit the mould '. Then there is the fact that , well if your buzzing off ' why bothe?'.

Or it could be that they are soooooooo heart broken that they are letting go of you gently :cute:

hey, at least your off , who gives a monkeys !

Guest pegasus 90
Hi , i think i know who is writing this post :) I think yes, some people will think " well what's wrong with oz ? " and so does this make me a ' boring person ' , and 'why do they think they are soo special' if you get my drift . It's a bit like how those who don't like oz so much get pushed aside sometimes , cos ' they don't fit the mould '. Then there is the fact that , well if your buzzing off ' why bothe?'.

Or it could be that they are soooooooo heart broken that they are letting go of you gently :cute:

hey, at least your off , who gives a monkeys !

I think you are on the money there. Christmas day (our last) was ruined when family members thought it would be good to spend an hour telling us what a Sh1thole U.K was, and that we would lose all our money, doom & gloom, immigrants, blah blah etc etc. What makes it worse is that the only reason they are in Australia is because of me; without my sponsorship none of them could have made it into the country!!!

Oh well; that'll teach me for doing my best to help family eh?

Some of our other friends (who have only been here a few years) seem to give us a wide berth; not sure whether they think it is catching ! LOL. Perhaps they feel they need to be around people who are positive about living here, which is strange as we don't really discuss our move.

It is really strange (not least disappointing) how some people have reacted to our decision.

Archived