Occupations requiring recent work experience

George Lombard

Below are links to new Comlaw information on:

1 Which occupations will require a new skills assessment after 1 January 2010, and

2 Which offshore applicants will need to have worked for 12 of the 24 months before the date of the application in the actual nominated occupation.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLa...020AF17?OpenDocument

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLa...09143+-+LI+-+JRT.doc

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLa...143+-+ES+-+Final.doc

No need for offshore applicants to obtain a new skills assessment as far as I can see.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And just to avoid doubt, here are the trades:

From 1 January, applicants for onshore general skilled migration visas claiming trade skills assessments will require specific "job ready" assessments. This is the specification, announced this morning:

This Specification provides occupations required to provide a skills assessment dated on or after 1 January 2010 to support amendments to the Migration Regulations 1994 made to ensure the job readiness of onshore applicants nominating trade occupations and that offshore applicants applying for the specified occupations be excluded from meeting the Australian study requirement.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) 4114-15

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) 4114-11

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Structures) 4114-13

Apparel Cutter 4941-17

Automotive Electrician 4212-11

Baker 4512-11

Binder and Finisher 4913-11

Blacksmith 4123-11

Boat Builder and Repairer 4981-13

Bricklayer 4414-11

Broadcast Transmitter Operator 4992-17

Business Machine Mechanic 4315-13

Butcher 4511-11

Buttermaker or Cheesemaker 4519-13

Cabinetmaker 4922-11

Cable Jointer 4313-13

Canvas Goods Maker 4944-13

Carpenter 4411-13

Carpenter and Joiner 4411-11

Communications Linesperson 4316-13

Confectioner 4519-15

Cook 4513-11

Drainer 4431-15

Dressmaker 4941-15

Electrical Powerline Trades person 4313-11

Electrician (Special Class) 4311-13

Electronic Equipment Trades person 4315-11

Electronic Instrument Trades person (Special Class) 4314-13

Electroplater (First Class) 4126-13

Engraver 4115-21

Farrier 4123-13

Fibrous Plasterer 4412-11

Fitter 4112-11

Flat Glass Tradesperson 4982-11

Floor Finisher 4423-11

Furniture Finisher 4929-13

Furniture Upholsterer 4942-11

Gasfitter 4431-13

Gem Cutter and Polisher 4983-13

General Clothing Tradesperson 4941-11

General Communications Tradesperson 4316-11

General Electrician 4311-11

General Electronic Instrument Tradesperson 4314-11

General Fabrication Engineering Tradesperson 4121-11

General Gardener 4623-11

General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson 4111-11

General Plumber 4431-11

Glass Blower 4982-13

Graphic Pre-Press Tradesperson 4911-11

Greenkeeper 4622-11

Gunsmith 4115-19

Hairdresser 4931-11

Head Gardener 4623-01

Jeweller 4983-11

Joiner 4411-15

Landscape Gardener 4623-13

Leather Goods Maker 4944-11

Lift Mechanic 4311-15

Locksmith 4115-15

Mechanical Services and Air-conditioning Plumber 4431-19

Medical Grade Shoemaker 4943-13

Metal Casting Tradesperson 4125-11

Metal Fabricator (Boilermaker) 4122-11

Metal Machinist (First Class) 4112-13

Metal Polisher 4126-11

Motor Mechanic 4211-11

Nursery person 4621-11

Optical Mechanic 4999-11

Painter and Decorator 4421-11

Panel Beater 4213-11

Pastry cook 4512-13

Pattern maker-Grader (Clothing) 4941-19

Piano Tuner 4999-17

Picture Framer 4929-11

Precision Instrument Maker and Repairer 4115-11

Pressure Welder 4122-13

Printing Machinist 4912-11

Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Mechanic 4312-11

Roof Plumber 4431-17

Roof Slater and Tiler 4413-11

Sail Maker 4944-15

Saw Maker and Repairer 4115-17

Screen Printer 4914-11

Sheetmetal Worker (First Class) 4124-11

Shipwright 4981-11

Shoemaker 4943-11

Signwriter 4422-11

Small Offset Printer 4912-13

Smallgoods Maker 4511-13

Solid Plasterer 4415-11

Stonemason 4416-13

Supervisor, Aircraft Maintenance Engineers 4114-01

Supervisor, Automotive Electricians 4212-01

Supervisor, Bakers and Pastry cooks 4512-01

Supervisor, Bricklayers 4414-01

Supervisor, Cabinet makers 4922-01

Supervisor, Carpentry and Joinery Tradespersons 4411-01

Supervisor, Communications Tradespersons 4316-01

Supervisor, Electrical Distribution Tradespersons 4313-01

Supervisor, Electricians 4311-01

Supervisor, Electronic and Office Equipment Tradespersons 4315-01

Supervisor, Electronic Instrument Tradespersons 4314-01

Supervisor, Fibrous Plasterers 4412-01

Supervisor, Floor Finishers 4423-01

Supervisor, Forging Tradespersons 4123-01

Supervisor, General Fabrication Engineering Tradespersons 4121-01

Supervisor, General Mechanical Engineering Tradespersons 4111-01

Supervisor, Hairdressers 4931-01

Supervisor, Meat Tradespersons 4511-01

Supervisor, Metal Casting Tradespersons 4125-01

Supervisor, Metal Finishing Tradespersons 4126-01

Supervisor, Metal Fitters and Machinists 4112-01

Supervisor, Motor Mechanics 4211-01

Supervisor, Painters and Decorators 4421-01

Supervisor, Panel Beaters 4213-01

Supervisor, Plumbers 4431-01

Supervisor, Precision Metal Tradespersons 4115-01

Supervisor, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Mechanics 4312-01

Supervisor, Roof Slaters and Tilers 4413-01

Supervisor, Sheet metal Tradespersons 4124-01

Supervisor, Signwriters 4422-01

Supervisor, Solid Plasterers 4415-01

Supervisor, Structural Steel and Welding Tradespersons 4122-01

Supervisor, Toolmakers 4113-01

Supervisor, Vehicle Body Makers 4215-01

Supervisor, Vehicle Painters 4214-01

Supervisor, Vehicle Trimmers 4216-01

Supervisor, Wall and Floor Tilers and Stonemasons 4416-01

Tailor 4941-13

Textile, Clothing or Footwear Mechanic 4112-15

Toolmaker 4113-11

Trades Person and Related Workers (not elsewhere classified) 4999-79

Tree Surgeon 4623-15

Upholsterers and Bedding Tradespersons (not elsewhere classified) 4942-79

Vehicle Body Maker 4215-11

Vehicle Painter 4214-11

Vehicle Trimmer 4216-11

Wall and Floor Tiler 4416-11

Watch and Clock Maker and Repairer 4115-13

Welder (First Class) 4122-15

Wood Trades persons (not elsewhere classified) 4929-79

Wood Turner 4921-13

And finally, the explanatory memorandum for these changes is as follows. The critical inference for offshore applicants is that henceforth trades skills assessed applicants will need to show relevant work experience in the assessed trade. If currently working in a supervisor trade you would need to be assessed as a supervisor. Provisions relevant to offshore applicants in bold:

EXPLANATORY STATEMENT

Migration Regulations 1994

SKILLED OCCUPATIONS FOR SKILLS ASSESSMENTS

(SUBPARAGRAPHS 1136(3)(bb)(ii), 1229(3)(ab)(ii) AND SUBCLAUSES 175.211(1), 176.211(1) AND 475.211(1))

1. This Instrument is made under subparagraphs 1136(3)(bb)(ii), 1229(3)(ab)(ii) and subclauses 175.211(1), 176.211(1) and 475.211(1) of the Migration Regulations 1994 (“the Regulations”).

2. Paragraph 1136(3)(bb) provides that if the applicant is not seeking to satisfy the criteria for the grant of a Subclass 887 (Skilled – Regional) visa and has nominated a skilled occupation specified by the Minister is an instrument in writing for this paragraph, the applicant’s skills must have been assessed by the relevant assessing authority, on or after 1 January 2010, as suitable for the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

3. Paragraph 1229(3)(ab) provides that, if an applicant is not seeking to satisfy the criteria for the grant of a Subclass 485 (Skilled - Graduate) visa and has nominated a skilled occupation specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this paragraph, then the applicant’s skills must have been assessed by the relevant assessing authority, on or after 1 January 2010, as suitable for the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

4. Subclauses 175.211(1), 176.211(1) and 475.211(1) provide that, if an applicant has nominated a skilled occupation, which is specified in an instrument in writing for the purposes of the above subclauses, the applicant has been employed in the skilled occupation for at least 12 months in the period of 24 months ending immediately before the day on which the application was made.

5. The purpose of the Instrument is to specify occupations required to provide a skills assessment dated on or after 1 January 2010 to support amendments to the Regulations made to ensure the job readiness of onshore applicants nominating trade occupations. It also provides that offshore applicants applying for the specified occupations be excluded from meeting the Australian study requirement.

6. Consultation was undertaken with the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR).

7. The Instrument, IMMI 09/143, applies in relation to an application for a visa made on or after 1 January 2010.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi George

I'm baffled by this JobReady test.

Let us say that someone is a Hairdresser who has recently completed two years of studying Hairdressing in Oz.

Will she have to get a skills assessment from TRA and also do the JobReady test or it is an either/or, please? If she has to do both, what is the justification for the tautology? Do we even know what the JobReady test will involve and what it will cost?

I've been foxed by this JobReady thing from the start because I can't get my head round where it fits into the jig-saw.

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

The Job Ready test has been in the pipeline for nine months or so, there isn't an onshore student who's unaware of it and those agents who make a living out of onshore students are going to be working up until a minute to midnight on New Year's Eve. This has very little to do with offshore applicants and I'm a tad disappointed at how much capital has been made out of this change by agents who ought to know better.

The rationale is quite straightforward, you can't learn everything there is to know about being a hairdresser or cook in a Certificate III course. And in fact a lot of the graduates in hairdressing can't get jobs since perversely employers want some experience before they'll hire people, so in fact a lot of applicants are going to be working for very low wages in some sort of trainee arrangement before they pass the job ready test.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest The "legdes"

I just don't get why some many occupations which aren't mostly study related are on this list. 1st class metal machinist for example...by defintion and TRA this is not someone who has just worked metal machining...they are qualified but also practical time served before they can even look at the class 1. I take the point with some occupations but not all of these surely???

Just to repeat. These changes have absolutely nothing to do with offshore applicants apart from the need to show recent work experience in the trade. Quite regrettable that there are still offshore applicants who think these changes are highly important. They're not, except fora small cohort who are not working in their assessed trade.

Might as well repeat the operative words from the Department while I'm at it:

4. Subclauses 175.211(1), 176.211(1) and 475.211(1) provide that, if an applicant has nominated a skilled occupation, which is specified in an instrument in writing for the purposes of the above subclauses, the applicant has been employed in the skilled occupation for at least 12 months in the period of 24 months ending immediately before the day on which the application was made.

5. The purpose of the Instrument is to specify occupations required to provide a skills assessment dated on or after 1 January 2010 to support amendments to the Regulations made to ensure the job readiness of onshore applicants nominating trade occupations. It also provides that offshore applicants applying for the specified occupations be excluded from meeting the Australian study requirement.

Cheers,

George Lombard

hi Gill, George,

thanks for the above imformation,couple of points to help me understand the process a little better.

I am now 45,passed vetassess feb 09 lodged visa app mid july 09,recieved qld ss,23rd sept, no c.o

Q

My agent asked me to provide work evidence for 3 out of the last 4 years specifying i had been a joiner, which i did, but was all this necessary?

Q

since im CAT 5 and the processing time for my app are likely to be anywhere from june 2010 to the end of 2012, when my file eventually gets looked at will i be asked to provide new work evidence?

thankyou

jack

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jackster

I am now 45,passed vetassess feb 09 lodged visa app mid july 09,recieved qld ss,23rd sept, no c.o

Noted and the changes described in this thread do not affect you, hon.

Q

My agent asked me to provide work evidence for 3 out of the last 4 years specifying i had been a joiner, which i did, but was all this necessary?

Yes it was necessary. In view of your age you need all the points you can get. Proving that you have worked in a skilled occupation on the SOL for 3 out of the last 4 years is worth an extra 10 points to you for Specific Work Experience. Please see the link below:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

You have applied for the sc 176 visa rather than for the sc 175. The sc 175 requires a minimum of 120 points. The sc 176 only requires 100 points and the sponsoring State provides 10 of the points.

However your agent has been very prudent to bump up your points total as much as he can because one of the ideas being mooted in DIAC circles is whether it might be feasible to select the applicants with the highest points totals for fast tracking, rather than trying to devise another way of awarding priority amongst GSM applicants.

Your agent is doing an excellent job on your behalf (which is very high praise, coming from me!)

Q

since im CAT 5 and the processing time for my app are likely to be anywhere from june 2010 to the end of 2012, when my file eventually gets looked at will i be asked to provide new work evidence?

The only evidence of work experience which is relevant relates to work experience prior to submission of the visa application. You would only be asked for additional evidence if anything in the evidence already provided is not clear when the CO reads your file.

There is nothing for you to worry about - except the frustration of being kept waiting indefinitely with no indication of how much longer you might have to wait for.

A very merry Christmas and a very happy New Year to you and your family, hon. :xmasnorthpole::bells1:

Cheers

Gill

So from what I can work out, those of us on student visas will have to have 12 months worked full time out of the last 24??

But I can't see anything about how you then get the 485 visa without already having that...

From what I can see vetassess has two levels off assessments from the 1st of Jan, one for ex students, so they can get the 485 visa, and one for people wanting PR. Is this likely to be the same for TRA?

OMG

my OH has been SUCCESSFULLY assessed by TRA as a metal machinist... He is now a plumber and has been for the last 6 years but not formal quals.. So if we want to get our application in as a Metal Machinist we have to do this before 1st January..... Better cancel that skiing holiday we had booked... Have I got this right??

OMG

my OH has been SUCCESSFULLY assessed by TRA as a metal machinist... He is now a plumber and has been for the last 6 years but not formal quals.. So if we want to get our application in as a Metal Machinist we have to do this before 1st January..... Better cancel that skiing holiday we had booked... Have I got this right??

Remember that to lodge a skilled visa application you merely have to e-lodge your visa application and pay the Visa Application Charge => try to find a couple of hours before Xmas so you can relax over the festive break.

Best regards.

What happens to the Students who have already lodged in their applications and are on bridging Visas? Including the Ones with the FAKE work Ex of hairdressing and hospitality?

Guest Gollywobbler
So from what I can work out, those of us on student visas will have to have 12 months worked full time out of the last 24??

But I can't see anything about how you then get the 485 visa without already having that...

From what I can see vetassess has two levels off assessments from the 1st of Jan, one for ex students, so they can get the 485 visa, and one for people wanting PR. Is this likely to be the same for TRA?

Hi Blossom

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I think the gist is that you can apply for a subclass 485 visa without having obtained a full skills assessment and without prior relevant work experience. The idea is to give the recent graduate time in which to prove to him or herself and to the Government that he or she is fully skilled and employable in Australia.

They are certainly not trying to sever the link between studying in Australia and then using that as a pathway to permanent residency but they are making it impossible to jump straight out of college and straight into PR on my reading of the burble so far.

I think the acid test will be what sort of work experience employers in Oz are willing to provide to the holders of sc 485 visas.

What subject(s) have you been studyiing and have you now completed your studies?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
What happens to the Students who have already lodged in their applications and are on bridging Visas? Including the Ones with the FAKE work Ex of hairdressing and hospitality?

Hi Calvin

The people who have already applied for onshore GSM visas and are now on Bridging Visas will be able to remain in Oz on the Bridging Visas, despite the difficulties with finding suitable employment.

Apparently DIAC are scrutinising the visa applications from recently trained tradies very carefully. I gather that they hope to weed out applications which are based on fake documents.

Originally DIAC seem to have planned to give themselves until the end of 2011 to complete this task. However there was a meeting between COAG and DIAC in November 2009. (Council of Australian Governments, which is the State Governments.) The rumour is that COAG got DIAC to agree that there is no reason why scrutinising applications should take until Doomsday and that DIAC can complete the task within a year if they put their minds to it. DIAC are rumoured to have conceded the point.

I suspect that a bigger problem is not the integrity of the applications but the fact that there are not enough GSM visas to go round. The total number in the pipeline (onshore and offshore GSM visa applications combined) is about 145,000 applications according to the Minister for Immi when he was interviewed in mid-November 2009. DIAC's planning levels only envisage granting about 60,000 GSM visas a year. DIAC are evasive about whether this means 60,000 primary holders of GSM visas or whether it includes secondary applicants (family members) as well.

Either way, supply is much less than demand and this backlog will take some time to clear. That is the fault of the current and previous Governments alike. DIAC warned them two years ago that a problem was looming which would reach crunch point around now. Neither Government made an effective attempt to get on top of the problem until crunch point had been reached.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Blossom

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I think the gist is that you can apply for a subclass 485 visa without having obtained a full skills assessment and without prior relevant work experience. The idea is to give the recent graduate time in which to prove to him or herself and to the Government that he or she is fully skilled and employable in Australia.

They are certainly not trying to sever the link between studying in Australia and then using that as a pathway to permanent residency but they are making it impossible to jump straight out of college and straight into PR on my reading of the burble so far.

I think the acid test will be what sort of work experience employers in Oz are willing to provide to the holders of sc 485 visas.

What subject(s) have you been studyiing and have you now completed your studies?

Cheers

Gill

I was studying for a diploma in Horticulture, and by the 31st of Jan will have my 900 hours of work! :mad:

I can stay working where I am working for a year, that is not a problem (the temp visa has never been an issue to my finding work, only the 20 hours a week thing), but I feel like the last 900 hours I have done has been a total waste if they are not even counted! I took a pay cut of $8 an hour to 'work in the field' and could really have done with that money while paying for my expensive course and having hubbie also only being able to work 20 hours a week!

And to the be SO close and have another year added on, where they COULD possibly take my job off the list really is devastating. Another year of stress and worry, for the sake of one week. I hope they can live with mucking people around like that. I know we all knew it could change at any time, but ONE WEEK. OMG. Anyway, thanks for your reply. :)

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Blossom

I don't know whether a comedian has chosen Christmas Day on which to publish the details of the JobReady assessment but I am shocked by this thread on British Expats:

Job Ready Test Info : British Expat Discussion Forum

The TRA website now seems to have all the details and the link is here:

Job Ready - Overview

It is totally mind boggling that completion of all four steps of this JobReady thing will potentially cost up to $4,550 AUD, it would seem.

In my opinion it is absolutely unconscionable to this to do this to you and to thousands of other trades skills students who are already in the process of spending a fortune to study for these skills in Australia, especially considering the delays which have been built into the new system and the horrific price of the JobReady thing.

On a broader basis, the colleges teaching trades skills to overseas students might as well shut down straightaway, it seems to me. I think this latest nonsense will knock the bottom out of Australia's third largest export and it will undoubtedly cost a heavy price in terms of people who work in the colleges being forced to join the dole queue instead. If applications from potential trades skills students from overseas collapse - as they might well do - the loss of the export income could force Australia into a double dip downturn, I suspect.

I think the Minister for Immi has taken leave of his senses, frankly. The whole thing is incredibly crude, clumsy, far too costly and I think Australia will come to regret being lumbered with Senator Evans.

Shocked :shocked:

Gill

In my view, I think the objective of these hard new rules are for the Immigration Department to have time to reorganize the house inside and rescue the international education reputation. Also they can have time to catch up the huge queue of processes they already have.

Does it seem that applying offshore will be a easier way, even doing the studies in Australia?

I got this over the mail today...........a Mara agent has sent it to me.

From today (1st of January 2010), applicants applying for an offshore GSM visa who are nominating a trade occupation will no longer be able to meet the Australian Study Requirement. These applicants are now only able to meet the work experience criterion.

Work experience means that an applicant must have been employed in a skilled occupation for a minimum of 12 months of the 24 months immediately before the day on which the visa application was made.

This change relates to the following visa subclasses:

• Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

• Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

• Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)

These occupations are identical to those which require an applicant to meet the job ready requirement as part of their skills assessment should they apply for an applicable onshore GSM visa.

All other eligible applicants are still able to apply for migration based on satisfying the Australian Study Requirement or having the required work experience.

Frequently Asked Questions

I completed my Australian qualification in the last six months and wish to apply for permanent skilled migration under the GSM program. Am I still able to do so?

Your eligibility to migrate to Australia under the offshore GSM program based on meeting the Australian Study Requirement is dependent on your occupation. If your occupation is a trade occupation, you will no longer be able to apply to migrate based on meeting the Australian Study Requirement. Instead, you will be required to have at least 12 months work experience in a skilled occupation within the 24 months immediately prior to applying. If you are applying to migrate to Australia through the offshore GSM visa subclasses and your occupation is not a trade occupation, you are able to seek to migrate based on meeting the Australian Study Requirement within six months of completing your Australian qualification.

I applied for permanent migration under one of the offshore GSM visas before 1 January 2010. I nominated a trade occupation. Will I still be able to meet the Australian Study Requirement as I lodged my application based on this?

Yes. Provided you lodged a valid application before 1 January 2010, you will still be able to meet the Australian Study Requirement if you nominated a trade occupation.

I am applying in a trade occupation. Why am I now unable to meet the Australian Study Requirement from 1 January 2010?

From 1 January 2010, the skills assessment process for applicants nominating trade occupations will be strengthened to ensure the job readiness of the applicant. This process supports the Government’s May 2009 announcement regarding the implementation of a job readiness test to complement existing offshore requirements.

This will be achieved through the introduction of the job ready requirement for onshore applicants and the removal of the work experience exemption for offshore applicants. This exemption provided applicants with the opportunity to meet the Australian Study Requirement if they were unable to meet the work experience criterion. These changes will affect applicants nominating trade occupations and means applicants will be required to demonstrate that they are not only suitably qualified to perform in their nominated occupation, but are job ready and possess work experience.

Guest jessijessi

HI George,

Thanks for your informations.

I would like to know does this new policy posted apply to any categories or only for the trade? TRA?

How about those case in CSL? did the immigration department publish that norminated occupation in CSL must have a same relevant experienc in the prior 12months?

Thanks a lot~!

Jessi

Guest jfa1967

Hi George

We are on a student visa for hairdressing my wife has qualified for the 92 weeks study has the 900 hours also has enough points to go for 886 visa due to her father living here. With the new rules does she have to go on the 485 graduate visa and do the job ready. She does have a job as a hairdresser has done for last 6 months they have taken her on permanent p/t does this affect the above. Our agent never mentioned the new rules so we had no idea that this was coming out. Any help would be gratefully received

rgds Jfa1967

Archived