Living in Point Cook

Guest Ruth and Don

Guest Sunshine on Leith
hi, port melbourne is around 25/30 mins drive except on bad days!!! i think point cook is a safe place to live and im quiet happy to walk alone after dark with the dog!!!

not 100% sure what you mean about your wife driving ie; shes already passed her test but not sure about the roads? if thats the case buy a tom tom theyr brill! 2; shes not passed her test then little bit unsure as they have strong restrictions about who and what time your allowed passangers ect!!!

broadband well i have it!!!!!! started out with wireless then on to adasl (think thats right) mr is the gadget man!! i only talk to the computer and hope it behaves!!! hee hee. hope this helps a little??? tess xxxx

Hi Tess,

Just a quick note to let you know have settled in to Point Cook and we are loving it, what a place, it has everthing right on our door step, you dont have to travel far for anything you need, the kids are at Point Cook primary, and are having a great time they have met so many friends already, I have also landed the job of coaching point cook jets U12s soccer team so its non stop, but i have to say it really is a fantastic place, cheers

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JONTY
Hi.

We arrive in Point cook on 8th May... Would love to meet up too. Hope to log back on here soon and we can organise a meet somewhere in Point cook around the 12/13th - how about lunch/coffee???

Elaine

Hey Elaine

We arrive in Point Cook on the 7th May I would love to meet up and have coffee or/and lunch the company would be good

Speak soon

Mel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JONTY
Hey Elaine

We arrive in Point Cook on the 7th May I would love to meet up and have coffee or/and lunch the company would be good

Speak soon

Mel

Hey Elaine

Have you arrived yet? How are you finding things? I have been to the town centre a few times quite nice. If you fancy some company I am more than happy to meet up.

Im going to spend Mon trying to get the kids set up for school,apart from that I free

Mel

Guest sabretiger

Hey all if anyone is feeling like a cofee meet up etc would love to meet you either at werribee plaza or point cook town. been here almost 6 months and settling slowly.... take care all and safe journey for those arriving if i can help anyone in any way just let me know and will do what i can. xx jean

Guest JONTY
Hey all if anyone is feeling like a cofee meet up etc would love to meet you either at werribee plaza or point cook town. been here almost 6 months and settling slowly.... take care all and safe journey for those arriving if i can help anyone in any way just let me know and will do what i can. xx jean

Hi Jean

I would love to meet up for coffee. I will have the kids with me until next week if I can get them into school

What day suits you?? If ok can we meet in Point Cook town not sure of any other areas yet

Melanie :yes:

hi girls,

OK how about we meet up either tomorrow (Thursday) or Tuesday for a coffee.... I have the children for a week or two anyway due to not sorting out schools yet (they are 12 and 15) , so they could either come with me or stay at home....

Shall we meet in the coffee house on the corner in point cook centre (almost opposite coles entrance??)

my email address is ray@signfocus.fsnet.co.uk

Elaine

Guest sabretiger

Hi Elaine.

Sorry i have not been in touch it was my birthday so not been on here .. lol

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Wonder if you can help, i know this post is quite old but we are in the process of apply for visas and are looking at places that would be good to live in. Point Cook looks really nice and a short ish commute into Melbourne centre.

Can someone please give me an up to date review of the area?

I have read a comment about there possibly being ferrys from the new habour (dont know if its finished yet!) to Melbourne.

Is it a nice place for Brits to meet new people? As we will be arriving without knowing anyone.

I know it will take a while for our visas to complete but we would like to get an idea now of where we would like to be.

Thanks in advance

Ben & Lou

x

Hi

Wonder if you can help, i know this post is quite old but we are in the process of apply for visas and are looking at places that would be good to live in. Point Cook looks really nice and a short ish commute into Melbourne centre.

Can someone please give me an up to date review of the area?

I have read a comment about there possibly being ferrys from the new habour (dont know if its finished yet!) to Melbourne.

Is it a nice place for Brits to meet new people? As we will be arriving without knowing anyone.

I know it will take a while for our visas to complete but we would like to get an idea now of where we would like to be.

Thanks in advance

Ben & Lou

x

Hi Ben and Lou

I have been living in point cook for 2 half yrs now.....theres soooo many brits here that its beeen nicknamed pommi cook!! lol. What would you guys like to know?? Its really fast and upcoming surbub with schools and town center ever increasing...altho we doooo need a good pub! Whatever the questions you may have i could try and answer them. The new marinea (wrong spelling) isnt even started yet! it will be in werribee south. It takes around 20mins off peak in the car to the cbd.

good luck

tess xxxx

Just really what the area and people are like really?

We currently live in Holmfirth, which is between Leeds and Manchester & when we get our visa we will be moving there without knowing anyone.

So basically is it easy to meet new people?

Schools wouldn't be an issue for us as yet as we dont have any children at the moment, though we are getting married next year so children should hopefully follow.

I saw a post on here where a guy said that the reason property is so cheaper is because it is upwind from a sewage place? As you have lived there for quite a while could you tell me if this is true and if it is a probelm?

It is quite hard to find a nice area in a totally different country without seeing, though the internet is fab wiith google street view etc.

We are planning to come out after the wedding next year for a visit to get a feel for the area but we have decided to apply for our visas without actually ever visiting Australia, just because the visa process is so long and we would like to move over there not too long after the wedding.

Is there a nice beach around there?

Are most things in walking distance?

Is Melbourne a nice city? (as in better than London?)

Are neighbours usually friendly?

I have also read that it is souless and you dont see your neighbours for weeks on end, with this meeting new people might be hard.

Think thats it for questions at the moment

Sorry if i have gone on a bit

Thanks

Lou

xxx

Just really what the area and people are like really?

We currently live in Holmfirth, which is between Leeds and Manchester & when we get our visa we will be moving there without knowing anyone.

So basically is it easy to meet new people?

Schools wouldn't be an issue for us as yet as we dont have any children at the moment, though we are getting married next year so children should hopefully follow.

I saw a post on here where a guy said that the reason property is so cheaper is because it is upwind from a sewage place? As you have lived there for quite a while could you tell me if this is true and if it is a probelm?

It is quite hard to find a nice area in a totally different country without seeing, though the internet is fab wiith google street view etc.

We are planning to come out after the wedding next year for a visit to get a feel for the area but we have decided to apply for our visas without actually ever visiting Australia, just because the visa process is so long and we would like to move over there not too long after the wedding.

Is there a nice beach around there?

Are most things in walking distance?

Is Melbourne a nice city? (as in better than London?)

Are neighbours usually friendly?

I have also read that it is souless and you dont see your neighbours for weeks on end, with this meeting new people might be hard.

Think thats it for questions at the moment

Sorry if i have gone on a bit

Thanks

Lou

xxx

Hi Lou,

Theres good and bad in every country and here's no different!!!

I can say that i have never smelt the sewerage works and i cant say that the houses aren't all that cheap either! They have gone up in price so much in the few yrs iv been here and they are nowhere near as well built as the uk!!! We have some lovely beaches near here in Altona, werribee south and st kilda which is where "young and trendy" hang out...loads of restaurants and hip pubs! if im honest i do prefer mornington/brighton on the east side but its way more expensive and my o/h work is in the west!

Theres always something going on in the city and i feel so safe walking around even after dark, which is a big change! Even the nite clubs (not that i go that often) are safe and they are strick about serving drunks....you can be lifted if your deemed to have had too much!! i come from Glasgow and altho my heart belongs there, im safer here....if that makes sence?

I find that Melbourne people are sooo friendly its unbelievable......i went into the bank to open a account and they heard my accent and they had someone who came from scotland, so they told her to come and "chat".. I came out with a number to call for a job interveiw!!! now would you get that in London????

Down side is yes you can go weeks on end without seeing your neighbours as the houses all have internal doors into their garages...so out of house into car and go... I find if you put yourself out and about enough then you will meet people! The socail life is soo different out here as you tend to be having bbqs and get togethers in each others houses ect! once you have jobs you usualy socailise through them...

I hope this answers some of your questions as i know before we make the leap......nothing makes sence and you can go round in circles:arghh:

Keep asking questions as i dont mind.

Tess xxxx

• 2 months later...
Guest discodave555

We moved over in January. For the first 4 weeks we stopped in the city which was great. However the apartments are small and very expensive. We found that the city is very expensive for what you get. We looked around and moved to Point Cook, the train service is regular into the city and only takes 30 mins.

I found that most of the houses are a lot more modern with central heating, a lot of the older houses dont have heating and it is needed in the winter.

The houses in Point Cook are twice the size and half the renting cost as it is in the city.

As people have said before it takes time to meet people as people tend to keep themselves to themselves...

However I like the area and love the house. Enjoying life so far!

You will need a car if you live outside of the city I would say as there is so much to see over here, in the city and out.

Hi all,

I am new to this thread and am also looking at Point Cook, it seems to have everything and is close to the city. I have 3 daughters so the information you provided was great. We are hoping to get over by sept all going well.

We will initially be looking at short term rental accommodation until we get sorted, does anyone have any suggestions on this. I read on another forum that geelong has a lot of holiday rentals and is close to point cook ( any feedback on this is appreciated).

Thanks Gina

Guest Fate will decide
Hi all,

I am new to this thread and am also looking at Point Cook, it seems to have everything and is close to the city. I have 3 daughters so the information you provided was great. We are hoping to get over by sept all going well.

We will initially be looking at short term rental accommodation until we get sorted, does anyone have any suggestions on this. I read on another forum that geelong has a lot of holiday rentals and is close to point cook ( any feedback on this is appreciated).

Thanks Gina

Hi Gina,

We have 3 daughters also and are looking at moving to Point Cook after Christmas.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for, good luck with your move!

Sarah

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gina I have been here in point cook for 8 weeks and love it. If there is anything you would like to know let me no. I have two daughters ages 7 and 9 they go to point cook school. They love it. We love point cook. Where are you coming from too. Take care sharon xxx

Hi gina I have been here in point cook for 8 weeks and love it. If there is anything you would like to know let me no. I have two daughters ages 7 and 9 they go to point cook school. They love it. We love point cook. Where are you coming from too. Take care sharon xxx

Hi

we are moving to Melbourne next year sometime,we are in the last stages of our visa!

i read on the internet that the schools were not that good in point cook??

my children have never been to an english speaking school before so its important to find a

friendly if poss not to big school.Our girls are 12,10 and 7. We have lived in France for the past 6 years.I am looking forward to being able to speak english but a bit worried for our girls.any info on the school would be great.The older two can read and write in english but our youngest does not yet,Is point cook just a mass of estates?? is there a pub?!

thanks

julie:jiggy:

Hi ya err no there is no pub but lots of places to eat and drink. Point cook is massive, youl will need at car. The houses are stunning. The town has all you need. As for school there a few new ones being build. I love it here, all depends where you choose to live. The catchment area are so tight and the schools very stricked on where you live. My girls are 9 and 7 and go to point cook. They love it. I was Told to stay well clear of careen ballick school. Was told 4 times in one week and 3 of them was Aussie lady's , they said if you put yur kids in there youWILL be moving them out to another school after a few months.I listened some people I kmow didn't .shame really as the houses in alamanda are sooooooooo stunning but **** school. And school must come over the house. We had had to do. There are 2 other schools too. I haven't heard a bad word about point cook college, but at the end of the day you need to come see it and get a feel yourself. It's a very big school too. Teachers , head, everyone is very helpful and friendly. We have been so very lucky since we have been here. Good luck with it all thanks Sharon xxx

• 1 month later...
Guest DawnMcBride
Hi Lou,

Theres good and bad in every country and here's no different!!!

I can say that i have never smelt the sewerage works and i cant say that the houses aren't all that cheap either! They have gone up in price so much in the few yrs iv been here and they are nowhere near as well built as the uk!!! We have some lovely beaches near here in Altona, werribee south and st kilda which is where "young and trendy" hang out...loads of restaurants and hip pubs! if im honest i do prefer mornington/brighton on the east side but its way more expensive and my o/h work is in the west!

Theres always something going on in the city and i feel so safe walking around even after dark, which is a big change! Even the nite clubs (not that i go that often) are safe and they are strick about serving drunks....you can be lifted if your deemed to have had too much!! i come from Glasgow and altho my heart belongs there, im safer here....if that makes sence?

I find that Melbourne people are sooo friendly its unbelievable......i went into the bank to open a account and they heard my accent and they had someone who came from scotland, so they told her to come and "chat".. I came out with a number to call for a job interveiw!!! now would you get that in London????

Down side is yes you can go weeks on end without seeing your neighbours as the houses all have internal doors into their garages...so out of house into car and go... I find if you put yourself out and about enough then you will meet people! The socail life is soo different out here as you tend to be having bbqs and get togethers in each others houses ect! once you have jobs you usualy socailise through them...

I hope this answers some of your questions as i know before we make the leap......nothing makes sence and you can go round in circles:arghh:

Keep asking questions as i dont mind.

Tess xxxx

Hi Tess,

me and my family are also from Scotland. We are just outside Glasgow, a small seaside town called Helensburgh. We moved to Point Cook in June of this year and have settled in the Alamanda Estate. How long have u been in Oz? Where have u settled.

Love hearing about people from back home settling here too

Dawn xx

Guest MichelleNZ

Hi everyone, we (me, oh & two kids aged 6 & 8) will be moving to Melbourne in early Nov. Still trying to decide where to settle, keep jumping between the South East and Point Cook areas!!

Can anybody tell me what the train links are like into the CBD from Point Cook - I'm guessing Point Cook covers quite a large area, so do people bus to the train stations or drive or walk, are the bus connections regular?

My only other questions is re schooling... we will be renting to start with then once we are settled we will look to buy, so if our children are enrolled in a school, if we happened to move out of the school zone, would they have to then move schools? I have emailed a couple of the schools, but haven't received any replies!

Thanks! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, we (me, oh & two kids aged 6 & 8) will be moving to Melbourne in early Nov. Still trying to decide where to settle, keep jumping between the South East and Point Cook areas!!

Can anybody tell me what the train links are like into the CBD from Point Cook - I'm guessing Point Cook covers quite a large area, so do people bus to the train stations or drive or walk, are the bus connections regular?

My only other questions is re schooling... we will be renting to start with then once we are settled we will look to buy, so if our children are enrolled in a school, if we happened to move out of the school zone, would they have to then move schools? I have emailed a couple of the schools, but haven't received any replies!

Thanks! :biggrin:

hi, i can't answer your question about schools as my daughter is only 3 but i know that you are zoned into certain areas for certain schools and most the poeple who i know want to move out of sanctuary lakes as the zone that puts them in is not the greatest of schools.

As for the trains, the nearest station is aircraft which is about a 6 minute drive, people drive bike and catch buses to the station, mainy people go from laverton which is literally a minute further away by car but means you are travelling in zone 1 only rather than zone 1 and 2 which makes it more expensive.

If you catch the express from laverton it takes 25 to melbourne the other train which stops at all stops takes about 35 mins.

Hope this helps please feel free to ask if there is anything else i can help with

:biggrin:

Hi All

Hoping to arrive early 2012. We have 2 cats that love the outdoors. I have heard that certain areas insist that cats are kept indoors either 24/7 or at least overnight. Can anyone shed any light on rules in Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes. I think if they had to be kept inside they would be better off staying in the UK.

Thanks

Simon

Archived