Living in Point Cook

Guest Ruth and Don

Guest Sunshine on Leith
If you are leaving to go to work in Maribrynong at 7.30am the traffic shouldnt be soo bad to drive.

Normally traffic starts to build if you leave at 8am!!

I live in Altona Meadows neary Point Cook. Point Cook being the new estate/area doesnt have the same facilities as explained be fellow melbournians listed above. Their very correct in stating internet connections limited and bus services will need to be used in order to get to the nearest train station.

I cant offer advice, as per person its an individual choice. However, there are suburbs surroundign Poitn Cook that offer these other services. Such as Altona Meadows, Laverton and a place that is in the making Manor Lakes in Wynham Vale. In my opinion these areas are more likely to increase in market value as it will be in a ZONE 1 area for public transportation.

:) Always happy to help,

-Ree.

Hi Ree,

Whats it like for kids In Altona Meadows, I did like the look of the place, I really need somewhere were the kids will make friends and be able to get outdoors, I moved from Scotland to Dubai, but its very restricted to what the kids can do, are there many Brits around this area, any info on the schools, boy 11 girl 7

Any info would br great

Cheers Ree

J

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Ree,

Whats it like for kids In Altona Meadows, I did like the look of the place, I really need somewhere were the kids will make friends and be able to get outdoors, I moved from Scotland to Dubai, but its very restricted to what the kids can do, are there many Brits around this area, any info on the schools, boy 11 girl 7

Any info would br great

Cheers Ree

J

Hi again,

I have a couple of nephews attending Seabrook Primary school which is nearby both Altona Meadows and Point Cook. They've had a few upgrades over the past years, I would deffinately consider it a decent school. And what I find important is that they don't seem to have a high turn-over of teachers, which seems to be quite common these days. Approximately 20 children in each classroom with one teacher.

I also have an older neice(13) who attends a high school in Point Cook, she actually enjoys it - which i think says alot for someone her age!

There is also a private school in Truganina.. my partner and I just bought a new house out that way. Being a newly developed area though it would be rather hard at getting around.. but deffinately lots of improvements to come and an area to keen an eye on!

Theirs alot of facilities surrounding Altona Meadows and Point Cook, a big favourite includes Altona beach. Its about a 5-10 minute drive! My nephew goes to a swimming pool for lessons each week in Laverton and its one of his favourite days of the week.

Not sure how it is overseas, but theirs heaps to do outside in Aus.. we just had to buy a walkie talkie for the 7 year old nephew for christmas to go with his new bike. Lots of bike trails, parks, soccer/football ovals.

The Point Cook shopping centre has just gotten abit of an extension, although Werribee Plaza is larger still.

Im not sure about if theres alot of Brits, but they seem to be populating more so recently. Others on this site, seem to be looking in both Werribee and Point Cook.

Guest jackief

Hi

Anyone know a good place to look for a place to rent - going to be working for Victoria University on the Footscray Campus. Anyone know what it is like there - any info appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am also interested in all the same things. My hubby and I are waiting for our visas (should be in the next couple of weeks) then he is moving over to Sanctuary Lakes and we will follow at the end of April (with two boys 12 and 15).

When we get out there would love the chance to meet up with other mums/mums with boys of a similar age who are into footy etc......

We have been lucky enough to have sold our house - in the last week! so once visas come through its all systems go (although I am sooooo nervous).

Any tips/help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Elaine.

www.myschool.edu.au

New controversial website thats been created about both public and private schools!!

I think its a great tool to now be able to access from overseas whilst considering which school has the right facilities etc for you.

Guest Ruth and Don

Hello,

Sanctuary Lakes is lovely. We came over a month ago (nearly) and i have a boy who is 13 nearly 14 and very into soccer but as yet has not found a team to play for. We are still looking as point cook is apparently not tha good a team (only what the kids have told him) and Altona are amazing and require more commitment than Henry wants (two nights training and week + matches sat and sunday). We are going to try Werribbe and see if they need players. I will keep you posted. If you need any other info about stuff for boys ask and i will try and find out. Congratulations on selling you house and good luck. My husband is coming out in april too - Seems like a long time away but hopefully time will go fast.

• 2 weeks later...

hello all,

just a quick request for information from all you lucky people who have already made the move. my wife and i are hoping to move to point cook in the next couple of months and i am at the stage of looking for bank accounts. any recommendations on accounts without fee's? atm locations within the area.

all help appreciated.

jim

Hi Leanda. Thank you for your information, I have been on the web-site and the school looks lovely. I was wondering if there is anyone on this site, whose children do go to the school as it would be great to get some first hand advice as to what they think of it.

Hi it was quite a few years ago but my son went to point cook primary, and I was really impressed (it was the 2nd year it opened) the staff were easy to talk to and never rushed you and explained things, for a new school it was very well equipped with computers, and they held work shops to explain how to teach children to read etc, they wanted parents and the school to work as one.

Since then the school has grown so things may of changed but I hope not

Hi

Anyone know a good place to look for a place to rent - going to be working for Victoria University on the Footscray Campus. Anyone know what it is like there - any info appreciated.

www.realestate.com.au

be careful of areas around Footscray, and Sunshine a new area that may suit your needs is Cairnlea.

If you click on this map, it will show you suburbs that are close to footscray

map of tarneit - Google Maps

then click on the top map click rent, then Victoria, type in the suburbs and your away..... you can pick price range no of bedrooms etc, the only advice i'd give is try not to rent a new house, the walls mark with little effort so you will loose your bond

hello all,

just a quick request for information from all you lucky people who have already made the move. my wife and i are hoping to move to point cook in the next couple of months and i am at the stage of looking for bank accounts. any recommendations on accounts without fee's? atm locations within the area.

all help appreciated.

jim

Bargain with ANZ www.anz.com

There everyday savings account - unlimited anz withdrawals normally costs $5 permonth. It is very easily waved (ex-staff)

Cheers, and goodluck.

• 3 weeks later...

hi there,

We are moving from Newcastle to Melb later this year, we have seen some excellent housing in Sanc Lakes and the golf course looks good. we have two kids 4 and 2. Just wondering if its any good, is there much to do, people OK schools good, any advice well received.

Cheers

macca

hi there,

We are moving from Newcastle to Melb later this year, we have seen some excellent housing in Sanc Lakes and the golf course looks good. we have two kids 4 and 2. Just wondering if its any good, is there much to do, people OK schools good, any advice well received.

Cheers

macca

Hi Macca,

It is a very nice place to live. Have a look at myschool.edu.au its a government website that has reviews on Melbourne schools individually assessed. Its a very useful tool!

Lots of nice places to eat, and the golf course is very popular although I have to admitt I'm not really into the sport myself. Great friendly people. I live local to Sanctuary Lakes. Lots of new attractions being built! Happy moving, hope you and the family settle in nicely.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ReneeB

I have to drive from Point Cook to Maribyrnong every day, although I don't start till 9.30, it normally takes me about 30 mins to 45 mins, on a really bad day it's taken just over an hour. If you head down all the back roads you can avoid the freeway and it's usually pretty free flowing.

I actually live in Altona Meadows, but my child goes to day care in PC adn we're looking at purchasing land at Saltwater Coast. We looked at living in the East and although it does have the period homes and more history, the West is much easier to get around and is close to the city to get the best of everything. You only have to go to Williamstown or Yarraville to get a bit of history (gorgeous cinema in YArraville that is independant, so you don't have to sit through lots of adds- and they do 2 mother and baby session a week so you can take your baby adn get out of the house!).

We've lived in Williamstown and further out in the 3.5 years we've been in Melbourne and although I'd love to move back to willi if I had the money, prices are too high and you get much more for your money in Point Cook.

Guest JONTY

Hey guys

We are living in Adelaide at the min and are moving to Melbourne at the end of April,we to have been looking at point cook. We have 2 girls age 15 and 9, the houses seem nice school seems nice from what I can see on the net. I have never been to Melbourne so hoping I will like it.

I would love to meet up with any of you new guys that are also moving to Melbourne

Mel

Guest JONTY

Hi

I have just been reading about Point Cook. I haven't been to Melbourne but we are moving there in a few weeks and I agree Point Cook looks really nice so we have decided that we will move there and give it a go .It seems to be near the beach city and cheaper houses than the rest of Melbourne LOL

Mel

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JONTY

Hi there

just reading this thread we are living in Adelaide at the min and are moving to Melbourne in less than 2 weeks. I visited Melbourne for the first time on Sat we are also looking at Point Cook. It seems like a nice place. I called Point Cook Senior today and the principle told me he couldn't take my 15yr old daughter until June the 21st which is a bit beyond the joke. I will wait till I get there and if they still say no Im sure there is an MP to help.(I hope)

We arrive on the 7th May so if anyone fancy`s a coffee would love to catch up

Melanie

Guest sabretiger

Hi

we arrived in melbourne from u.k. just 5 months ago . we have a 15 year old girl with us and she goes to the Grange at hoppers crossing.. We live right across the road from werribee plaza would love to meet some new friends a.s.a.p. just up road from point cook. P.m me if anyone would like to meet chat coffee etc. thanks

jean xx

Hi

we arrived in melbourne from u.k. just 5 months ago . we have a 15 year old girl with us and she goes to the Grange at hoppers crossing.. We live right across the road from werribee plaza would love to meet some new friends a.s.a.p. just up road from point cook. P.m me if anyone would like to meet chat coffee etc. thanks

jean xx

Hi Jean. We don't live there just yet!! But are hoping to in the very near future. We are heading out there for a holiday on 23rd June for 2 weeks (for validation). We have a 15 year old as well (she will be 16 on 9th May), and we would love to meet up with you for a chat. Let me know if that would be ok. Thanks Catherine (sorry I don't know how to pm).

Guest sabretiger

u can always use the library in point cook to log in if you stuck. i have sent you a p.m. hun u can send one back by clicking on my name. take it easy and see you soon safe journey. jean xx

Guest sabretiger

hiya all to p.m. me you click on my name i have sent p.m.s to all those replied and have given you my email and mob number to get in touch for that coffee and chat. happy travelling. see you sooneyyyyy xxx

Archived