Living in Point Cook

Guest Ruth and Don

Guest Ruth and Don

Hi, We are considereing renting in Point Cook, I visited it in October and liked Point Cook senior school also thought that the shopping centre was lovely. However I have some questions that i wondered if a local could answer; How bad is the traffic into Melbourne during rush hour? Is it going to ages to get to work in Maribyrnong?Where is the nearest the train station? As it is a new suburb are there local clubs eg sports, social etc for teenagers (13 & 16)? Is sancturary Lakes difficult to access without a car?

You certainly get a lot more house for your $ on the rental market but I need to be sure as I dont want to have to move the kids once they are in school.

Thanks everyone - we leave the UK on Christmas Day :v_SPIN:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi

we have been looking at Point Cook it looks great, new areas and fantastic cheap new houses in an up and coming place. I have only heard 2 negatives about it and one is that the internet connection is either hit and miss, or not there at all, but it will be better in the future, surely. And secondly someone said it was a souless area with no history and was just big new estates, which is what we want, give me new and modern any day over old and quaint, but we are all different, best of luck i hope people reply, i would like to know about Point Cook,

jim

Guest Prickles83

Hey Guys,

There seems to be lots of people moving to point cook in the new year- me included. I think this gives a pretty good indicator to what the area is like!

I think it will be useful for us to report back to everyone else about the area- i arrive 2nd January

Keep in touch!

Ruth and Don

I am one of the many POMS that live in Point Cook and i really like it. There are both good and bad points to Point Cook as there is with anywhere.

Firstly, let me tell you the bad in my opinion. The broadband is hit and miss and you will struggle to get ADSL, you will probably have to get wireless. Unfortunately this is not just Point Cook, Oz is general is no where near what the UK is. The transport links are not brilliant. There are bus services but you have to go further out before going back into the city. There is a new train station being built at Williams Landing (just across the freeway) but beacuse Point Cook is so huge this will only be accessible to many Point Cook residents by car. The traffic into the city is to be honest what you woudl expect in a city. 30-40 mins to CBD on a good day and hour and a half on a bad. in my opinion the best way into the city in rush hour, is car to the train station and then train it in. To get to Maribyrnong, at a guess you woudl have to get the train to Footscray and then the tram to Maribyrnong. Check out the trains. To be completely honest, i reallly believe you need a car in Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes.

Now for the good. The rent is much cheaper than closer to the city and the houses are much better. We moved from Spotswood to Point Cook just over 6 months ago and we pay less for a bigger house with a bigger yard! The shopping centre has been extended since your visit in Oct. Don't get me wrong, it's no major shopping centre but pretty good to kill some time and have a coffee or a meal. I have no kids but from what my friends with kids tell me the schools and clubs in this area are pretty good. There are so many families out here that they woudl have to be pretty good. When the kids start school you shoudl find out what is where.

i can understand people's pont about having no soul but to be honest it's the people that make a community not the houses. Yes, it is all new huge estates but in those huge new estates are lots of friendly people and that is the most important thing when you are moving to the other side of the world.

Hope to see you soon

Leanda xx

Guest Ruth and Don

Thanks Leanda, that is really helpful,

It sounds to me like my biggest callenge will be traveling to work. Unfortunatly I have to drive to work as driving to appointments is part of my job.

I think I need to try it out at 7.30 am and then decide.

Hi,

We have lived in Point Cook for just over a year now. We rented initially, then bought a house in October. We love it here. Yes, it's new and modern, but that is exactly what we were looking for after living in London!

My OH works in the CBD. So he drives to Laverton then get the train to the city. The express take 20 mins. Driving in would take 20mins during the day, but rush hour in the a.m. is a nightmare over the Westgate. But you would take the Princess Hwy to Maribyrnong, so traffic is alot better.

I have made some fab mates here and with a new baby it is a safe, clean and strller friendly place to live :)

Any Point Cook catch ups- would love to join in!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We have lived in Point Cook for just over a year now. We rented initially, then bought a house in October. We love it here. Yes, it's new and modern, but that is exactly what we were looking for after living in London!

My OH works in the CBD. So he drives to Laverton then get the train to the city. The express take 20 mins. Driving in would take 20mins during the day, but rush hour in the a.m. is a nightmare over the Westgate. But you would take the Princess Hwy to Maribyrnong, so traffic is alot better.

I have made some fab mates here and with a new baby it is a safe, clean and strller friendly place to live :)

Any Point Cook catch ups- would love to join in!

Cheers

Hi everyone. we are planning to move to Melbourne - and when I saw Point Cook I just thought it looked beautiful (and especially the prices of houses!!). There was a mention of a Senior School in Point Cook on a blog - do you know what ages of children that is for and is it a good school? What other schools would be nearby as I have a 15year old 13 year old and soon to be 8 year old. Thanks

Guest Ruth and Don

I can help a little bit at the moment but in a couple of weeks will have more info. Point Cook senior does years 10, 11, and 12 so this will cover your 15 year old. It has a web site look it up! I have a 13 year old too and as i can see they are still in the primary school. There are two but I don't know anything about them at this stage. When I know more I will let you know however it will be a few weks because the children don't go back until Feb. Have you looked up Point Cook on the internet there is a lot of info. Seach from Google au. Hope this helps.

I can help a little bit at the moment but in a couple of weeks will have more info. Point Cook senior does years 10, 11, and 12 so this will cover your 15 year old. It has a web site look it up! I have a 13 year old too and as i can see they are still in the primary school. There are two but I don't know anything about them at this stage. When I know more I will let you know however it will be a few weks because the children don't go back until Feb. Have you looked up Point Cook on the internet there is a lot of info. Seach from Google au. Hope this helps.

Hi Ruth and Don. I take it you have just moved there. I have looked at the internet to check for schools but for some reason, I could only see junior schools, but I will have another look. Do you like Point Cook? Would you recommend the area? Did you find a rental property OK? I have sooooo many questions to ask!!!!:confused:

Hi everyone. we are planning to move to Melbourne - and when I saw Point Cook I just thought it looked beautiful (and especially the prices of houses!!). There was a mention of a Senior School in Point Cook on a blog - do you know what ages of children that is for and is it a good school? What other schools would be nearby as I have a 15year old 13 year old and soon to be 8 year old. Thanks

Both of your children will be covered in Point Cook Senior School. I don't have kids so I can't offer too much advice but try www.pointcooksenior.vic.edu.au/aboutus.html and that should give you the info you need x

Both of your children will be covered in Point Cook Senior School. I don't have kids so I can't offer too much advice but try www.pointcooksenior.vic.edu.au/aboutus.html and that should give you the info you need x

Hi Leanda. Thank you for your information, I have been on the web-site and the school looks lovely. I was wondering if there is anyone on this site, whose children do go to the school as it would be great to get some first hand advice as to what they think of it.

Hi Leanda. Thank you for your information, I have been on the web-site and the school looks lovely. I was wondering if there is anyone on this site, whose children do go to the school as it would be great to get some first hand advice as to what they think of it.

hello and weclome to all those who are in/coming to point cook. my name is tess i have one son called shaun who just about 12 and is sports mad. i have been in point cook for a year and love it. for anyone who not got here yet the move itself is very challenging with the mixed emotions and all that is familiar gone! only one peice of advice for that is get yourself out there, you only get what you put in! theyrs loads of brits here only too will to lend a hand/give advice without judgment as we have all been there! if its friends that you need then give me a pm and i will orginize of a meet up with few girls for coffee.

the schools are also confusing but as long as you choose carefully i cant see there being a problem. point cook senior is a very new school so theres not much in the way of reports, but a few of our kids do go to the school and so far all good reports. primary schools that have good rep are point cook, seabrook and all catholic pr but these are fee paying! dont touch any of the carranballac schools you have been warned!

travelling around does really need a car as bus services are poor and a short journey which would normally take 10 mins by car can take up to 3/4 hour altho it has air con! santuary lakes dont even have a bus route so be warned car is a must! looks very much like spain in my opinion! if i want to go into the city i normally park at laverton and go by train which is a lot easier!

think i have covered most things if you have a question then i will be all too willing to try and answer them. if you want to meet some people again i wont mind orginizing that too, just pm me and we can take it from there! tess xxxx:wink:

Hi Tess. Thank you for the information. Which school does your son go to? Is it just the Catholic schools which are fee paying? And how much does it cost per term (as I have 3 children aged 15,13 and 8). I'm sure it will be VERY EXPENSIVE!! Are you glad you made the move to Australia??

hello! my son used to go to carranballic/boardwalk... there are two!!! nightmare. so now hes going into year 7 which is equivalent to secondary and im sending him too emanuel college which is fee paying. the fees are $3000 a year which you pay up. if you have more than one child you get a discount on 2nd and 3rd not sure how much tho! some of the other schools have a good name for themselves but i went with the closest school which you would normally do in the uk...... i have now learned my lesson and take word of mouth advice, but what can you do when you know no one! the school year starts on 1st feb and the school altho new and still parts of it still being built as we speak its other all boys school has very very good rep.

having said and had the dissapointment of the last school i love it here and glad iv made the move. we have been here a year today and altho busy and emotional rollercoaster i think i have become stronger in myself. hope this helps but i dont mind helping out with any questions you might have. i wish i had someone to bounce questions off of. tess xx ps up early as just back from uk on hols and still jetlaged!!!

I was wondering why I was getting such a quick reply from Australia!!! Hope you had a good time on your hols. It is fantastic to have people to speak with prior to going over there, especially to an area I am hoping to go to as well. I take it your sons school is a mixed school i.e. girls and boys? Speak soon (when you have had a good sleep).

ha ha yes im still on uk time very fustrating!!! was doing my weekly shopping at 6.30am yesterday!!! at least it was empty!! yes 99% of schools are mixed with boys and girls, its just the other emanuelle school is only for boys!! which is in altona. when are you going to make the move? tess

Our daughter has her GCSE's to do in May and we have to be there before end of October 2010. I have heard GCSE's mean very little in Australia, but she is so close to doing them now, that it would be a shame for her not to do them. We have thought about going for a holiday in June/July to validate the visa's (but as you know that would be very expensive!!). Catherine

Guest Sunshine on Leith
ha ha yes im still on uk time very fustrating!!! was doing my weekly shopping at 6.30am yesterday!!! at least it was empty!! yes 99% of schools are mixed with boys and girls, its just the other emanuelle school is only for boys!! which is in altona. when are you going to make the move? tess

Hi Tess,

Should be moving to Victoria in the next 4-6 weeks, I have looked on the net until my heed is bursting, but the more I look at Point Cook its starting to feel good, I have 2 kids boy 11 & girl 7 are there schools in the area to take both, my young lad is footy mad, is there places to go to keep them active enough?

I will be working in Port Melbourne,, would this journey cause any problems.

Any info would be great

J

Guest jchristanthio

bought a piece of land at featherbrook point cook. anyone can recommend a good reliable builder? or builder to avoid?

Hi everyone. I have read and heard that Broadband is still not available in Point Cook at the minute. As we have 3 children who will want to keep in contact with their friends (which is essential) when we emigrate, we would like to know if anyone knows when exactly it will be up and running. Catherine

hi j, i know how everything is scary at the moment!!! but you will be fine as soon as you get here. theres loads for kids to do here its just a matter of where and what time theyr on!!! ie summer or winter sport. also whats in your budget as they all like fees upfront for the year!! everyone especally the schools are sports mad and encourage it. talking about schools the schools here all take from 5yrs(prep)-16yrs(grade9) altho from grade 7 onwards is classed as high school and you could take him out and put him into a senior school which will then do him till grade 12!!! sounds bit confusing but its a personnal choice.

if you need info just ask if i can help i will. tess xxx

Guest Sunshine on Leith
hi j, i know how everything is scary at the moment!!! but you will be fine as soon as you get here. theres loads for kids to do here its just a matter of where and what time theyr on!!! ie summer or winter sport. also whats in your budget as they all like fees upfront for the year!! everyone especally the schools are sports mad and encourage it. talking about schools the schools here all take from 5yrs(prep)-16yrs(grade9) altho from grade 7 onwards is classed as high school and you could take him out and put him into a senior school which will then do him till grade 12!!! sounds bit confusing but its a personnal choice.

if you need info just ask if i can help i will. tess xxx

Hi Tess,

Is Point Cook the type of place you can open the front door and let the kids play, as long as the kids are happy lifes a lot easier. Is the journey up to Port melbourne Ok, I dont mind up to 45mins each way, I know you will have bad days. Is there any areas you would recommend or not in Point Cook. Have you any idea how long it would take for the wife to get driving. Any info on the broadband thing

Thanks again for the infoTess

J

Guest sabretiger

hi hun just wanted to ask if there is any kind of u.k. meet up place for peeps. been in hoppers crossing for 10 weeks from south wales u.k missing everyone need a friend . any ideas jean 0405458823 thanks for reading aged 45

hi, port melbourne is around 25/30 mins drive except on bad days!!! i think point cook is a safe place to live and im quiet happy to walk alone after dark with the dog!!!

not 100% sure what you mean about your wife driving ie; shes already passed her test but not sure about the roads? if thats the case buy a tom tom theyr brill! 2; shes not passed her test then little bit unsure as they have strong restrictions about who and what time your allowed passangers ect!!!

broadband well i have it!!!!!! started out with wireless then on to adasl (think thats right) mr is the gadget man!! i only talk to the computer and hope it behaves!!! hee hee. hope this helps a little??? tess xxxx

If you are leaving to go to work in Maribrynong at 7.30am the traffic shouldnt be soo bad to drive.

Normally traffic starts to build if you leave at 8am!!

I live in Altona Meadows neary Point Cook. Point Cook being the new estate/area doesnt have the same facilities as explained be fellow melbournians listed above. Their very correct in stating internet connections limited and bus services will need to be used in order to get to the nearest train station.

I cant offer advice, as per person its an individual choice. However, there are suburbs surroundign Poitn Cook that offer these other services. Such as Altona Meadows, Laverton and a place that is in the making Manor Lakes in Wynham Vale. In my opinion these areas are more likely to increase in market value as it will be in a ZONE 1 area for public transportation.

:) Always happy to help,

-Ree.

Archived