Australian student visa - Evidence of Funds

Guest ninjadude

Guest ninjadude

Hi everyone.

I am Alex, and I am applying for student visa in Republic of Serbia (Assessment Level 3 country). I have downloaded application document checklist and I have one question about the amount of money they require and evidence for that.

My cousin will be my sponsor. He owns a company in Brisbane and he has sent me his Bank Statements from 3 bank accounts and all are from 3 previous months, sponsorship letter and evidence about paying tax. The problem is this request:

"Money deposit from:

A financial institution

-in your name or the name of another individual

-funds in a money deposit must be held for at least 3 months immediately prior to the lodgement of your visa application.

Note: The 3 months saving history requirement does not apply if you are applying for a further student visa to finish a course of study, and you have successfully completed at least 75% of that course".

On his bank statements is obvious that he did not held the amount of money I need for two years of living in Australia (2x18000$) plus fees for two years of studying (8000$ because he already paid one year) plus plane tickets. The sum is near 50000$

On his sponsorship letter he wrote that I will live at his house and that he will literally give me the money for everything I need. So, finally, :laugh:, my question is....

Does this request include him and does he need to have this 50000$ held for 3 months on his account or this 3 bank accounts statements are enough to provide the evidence that I wont have any problems with living and studying? (on that bank account he has that amount of money, the problem is that money hasn't been hold for 3 months).

Guest turbopaul

Where did you get the figure of $50000 was needed ? as my sister in law has recent been refused a student visa because they say they didn't think she had access to enough funds, but that did take them over 3 months to do the maths for that. she had access to $44k and had 6 months of the course paid.

call me a Cynic but i think the aus gov as refusing a lot of visa just to earn from the application process, as there is no right of appeal.

Guest ninjadude

The lady from the embassy here told me to count the costs. I didn't say that 50000$ is the correct number, I said it is near that, or I didn't, it doesn't have a big influence on the question. Anyway, as I said I have the letter from my cousin were he declares that I will live at his house, with his family, that he will pay for all my costs for studying, living....So he didn't hold that amount of money because he owns a company and that is impossible. He has a lot of incomes but also a lot of costs to pay. They need to understand that that is a company's accounts and that is the way companies do their job :D

Did your sister had a sponsor (and sponsorship letter) or that money was on her account?

My first year of studying is paid, and I have access to that money and I will declare that on visa application.

I only worry about this request that the money need to be held for 3 months.

Anyway, I don't know what to say to you, if they have refused her application for that I can maybe expect the same answer :S.

I don't think it is because they earn a lot of money refusing visas. That's nothing if you compare that with the money Australia earns with the whole industry which is growing really fast every year.

If your cousin is relying upon a company to show funds he must not only show connection to the company, but also the company must show sufficient funds for period of study, and income streams. That is not just cash flow incoming but actual income that can be taken out of company to cover all costs for duration of the study.

Difficult to advise without more details....

Belgrade Embassy personnel will be simply following visa checklist, in new year you need to show AUD1500 per month, not AUD1000......

Where did you get the figure of $50000 was needed ?

We lodged an application for a student visa for a client to come and study here from an AL3 country only last week and, from memory, we had to show about AUD54,000 in the sponsor's bank account.

The numbers are easy enough to work out.

Guest ninjadude
We lodged an application for a student visa for a client to come and study here from an AL3 country only last week and, from memory, we had to show about AUD54,000 in the sponsor's bank account.

The numbers are easy enough to work out.

Did you need to show the bank statements from the last 3 months and did you hold that amount of money for that period or you just showed the bank statement from the previous week or something similiar?

Guest ninjadude
If your cousin is relying upon a company to show funds he must not only show connection to the company, but also the company must show sufficient funds for period of study, and income streams. That is not just cash flow incoming but actual income that can be taken out of company to cover all costs for duration of the study.

Difficult to advise without more details....

Belgrade Embassy personnel will be simply following visa checklist, in new year you need to show AUD1500 per month, not AUD1000......

About what you need more details, just say and I will write?

As I said I will live at his house and he declared that he will pay everything. Because of that those costs for me are probably lower because I already have a house there. I have his bank statements from 3 accounts, his company exist from 1993 and I think that is enough proof that he is in a position to support me.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Advice Please- My cousin has just returned from Perth on one year working Visa- she is now home and wants to go back on a student visa which she is told is possible just looking at the chat above I dont think she is aware of the condition of money having to be in an account for 3 months is this the case always?? As in if she were to get a letter confirming she can borrow whatever sum is required will that not cover her for her application???

Guest ninjadude

She can take a loan, then the money doesn't need to be held 3 months, she just need the bank statement and a proof that she got a loan, but it needs to cover the expenses for 2 years living in Australia. That means costs of living, studying (University fees) and plane tickets.

Guest Gollywobbler
thanks that is very helpful- can i ask if you know then if 50,000 is what they require?

Hi Luckyluke

Does your cousin hold a British passort? I believe that the UK is AL1 for Student visas whereas Serbia is AL3.

DIAC might not be as fussy with the AL1 applicants as they are with higher Assessment Levels. Be sure whether you are comparing genuine like with like, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Guest ninjadude
thanks that is very helpful- can i ask if you know then if 50,000 is what they require?

I wrote you how I got that amount of money, that is for me, I will repeat the calculation 18000$ times 2 (years), for living costs, 2500$ for the plane ticket (that's for me), and University fees 8000$ (because cousin paid me for one year).

Now compare this with the amount of money she needs, but before that check everything on the website of Australian embassy, because probably it's not the same for Serbia and other countries ;)

I hope I helped you.

Guest Gollywobbler

HI Alex

As a matter of interest, what are you planning to study, please?

I ask because I am wondering whether DIAC's latest announcement today will be likely to affect you after you graduate?

Australian Immigration - Legislation Change Update

It is impossible to say which occupations will be affected because as far as I know the Government has not published the Gazette Notice listing the occupations that will come under the new rules.

However we know that the aim of the new rules is to ensure that visa applicants have recent, relevant, work experience in the occupations that they will nominate in their visa applications. The pundits say that the changes are primarily aimed at International Students studying trades skills courses, which won't include you.

I'm not sure what, if anything, they might do to make things more difficult for people who have studied for non-trades occupations. Hence I am curious about what you have decided to study.

Cheers

Gill

Guest ninjadude

Hi Gollywobbler

I will study economy, program is Bachelor of Economics at the University of Queensland, Brisbane. After the 1st year I will take the IELTS test again and apply for double degree program which will include Law and Economics, of course.

Will those new rules affect me after I graduate and how?

Which courses they include in trades skills courses?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alex

Trades skills are the occupations currently described in ASCO Group 4. The first digit of each 6 digit number is its ASCO Group number, so please click on the link below and just glance through the job-titles beginning with a 4:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

None of the Group 4 occupations have any effect on your own plans.

Let us say that you complete a combined degree in Economics and Law. Currently:

Economist 2522-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Legal Professionals not elsewhere classified 2521-79 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

In both cases the occupations are in ASCO Group 2 - which is "Professionals." The relevant skills assessment authority for both occupations is Vetassess:

Applying for a general professional occupation - VETASSESS

Please click on the link above and then study all the links in the Vetassess description.

Please also ensure that you read this document carefully:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/download/qualification_assessment/vetassess_announcement_final_with_occ.pdf

You might find that once you have completed your degree, you will not be able to get a full skills assessment from Vetassess. If so, you would be forced into spending up to 18 months on a temporary subclass 485 visa, or leaving Australia in order to gain relevant work experience elsewhere:

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

Let us consider an employer such as KPMG. A combined Law & Economics degree would be a good combination from their point of view when considering their graduate intake for the relevant year:

KPMG - Home

However visa hassles for you might act as a deterrent with an employer such as KPMG. Please see what Mark Webster says about all this:

Author Mark Webster: GoArticles.com

I think this is enough for you to try to get your head round for the moment and without reading Mark Webster's advice in detail myself, I would get lost in trying to work out all the considerations for you - you would not be the only one of us to get lost in this maze!

Cheers

Gill

Guest ninjadude

Thanks for this Gill

I will read all carefully when I get enough time. But from all of this you mentioned I should expect a lot of complications when I finish my studies.

However, I hope I will figure out something when the time comes. It is easier when you do everything inside Australia, I hope it is.

Thank you one more time,

Alex

Guest kate1973

My plan was to study Social Science and apply for PR after that. I thought there would be no problems with my assessment as I have more than 10 years experience in Welfare Work, but if I read correctly and finish my degree after 2.5 years this does not count as I would need 12 months experience in the 24 months before applying? Is this correct? That would be ridiculous as someone with a diploma and 12 months experience would be able to apply and someone with a degree and a lot of experience cannot apply because they attended University for the last 2 years:arghh:

Guest Gollywobbler
My plan was to study Social Science and apply for PR after that. I thought there would be no problems with my assessment as I have more than 10 years experience in Welfare Work, but if I read correctly and finish my degree after 2.5 years this does not count as I would need 12 months experience in the 24 months before applying? Is this correct? That would be ridiculous as someone with a diploma and 12 months experience would be able to apply and someone with a degree and a lot of experience cannot apply because they attended University for the last 2 years:arghh:

Hi Kate

I don't know how the 1st Jan 2010 changes will affect you.

There are two aspects to this for you, and possibly also for Alex (ninjadude.) The first is this paragraph of the announcement:

Visa applicants who nominate a skilled occupation which has been specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing, must have had their skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority, on or after 1 January 2010, as suitable for the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

The relevant "instrument in writing" will be a Gazette Notice, which has not been published yet and it might not be published until 1st Jan 2010. Until the Gazette notice is published it will not be possible to discover which occupations will be affected by the new scheme.

That bit resolved - hopefully before too much longer - the next issue will be whether or not an onshore uni graduate will have to be able to prove recent, relevant work experience in order to be able to get a pre-migration skills assessment before applying for an onshore GSM visa (ie subclasses 885, 886 or 487.)

I suspect we need to wait and see what happens in reality once the Gazette notice has been published and people start making onshore GSM applications again during 2010, plus see what the migration agents say once they have had some experience of working within the new rules.

Best wishes

Gill

• 9 months later...
Guest Sagarmotiani

I can really use some advice, I am from Pakistan(AL-4) I've applied for a bachelors in engineering[electrical and electronic] program which is a four year program. I submitted the student visa application today and provided three bank statements:

1. Running finance of PKR 10 million = 125000AUD Approximately

2. 7500 USD = 8000AUD ( just as a back up)Approximately

3. 3million PKR = 35000AUD(just as a back up) Approximately

Now the thing is My dad might use the money in the third (3million) account. My question is if he takes out some money from the account is that going to be a problem? please i could really use some help

Archived