Medical Insurance for 457 Visa (Epilepsy)

marcus285

Hi,

My company are sending me to the Brisbane office for 2 years and we are currently in the process of applying for the 457 Visa for my wife and I.

We are at the point now where the Visa has been paid, and uploading all the supporting documents. My company have asked that I cover myself and my wife using private medical insurance.

We have been told to specify that my wife suffers with controlled eplilepsy in the application, and provide a supporting document from the doctor which we have. The main issue we have is getting the appropriate medical insurance. We are confused as to which type of policy to get, as we have been told that we wont get a policy that covers the epilepsy. But we a re worried that if the policy doesnt, then immigration could turn down the application.

Does anybody have any advice regarding pre-existing medical conditions, and which companies they have used? Our main priority is to be accepted by immigration. The condition is well controlled using medication and the policy with AXA which we inquired about excludes epilepsy and even the medication. She could probabaly still get the medication sent over though.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Salntel

Hi Marcus

I have epilepsy and have medical insurance with Medibank Private. I have no problems getting medication on prescription which I pay about $33 per month. The medication is not free here like in the UK, but you can claim excessive costs back through your tax return.

If your wife needed to go to hospital, then the cost is usually covered by medicare.

Medical insurance seems to be quite complicated but as I only need to visit my GP I have a basic hospital and extras cover (for dental, optical etc). I had no problem getting insurance though.

Hope this helps.

Sally

Guest Tor12345

Hi Marcus and Sally

Thanks so much for bringing the subject of epilepsy and Medical Insurance up, as I have just been offered a job in Melbourne, for which they are going to sponsor me on 457, but I'm worried about the medical insurance (I have partially controlled epilepsy). And now as it is Christmas everything has closed down and I'm not sure what is going to happen (they want me to start work in February).

They are trying to get BUPA to cover me, but I don't know if they will-do you know any other insurance companies I can try if I need to? Do you think it will be a problem?

Thanks

Torie

Guest Salntel

Hi Torie

Do you need medical insurance to cover you for your epilepsy? If not, you will need to disclose it when you apply for medical insurance, but I didn't have any problem getting insurance.

If I need meds I go to my GP for a script. They can then refer you to a neurologist if you need one. The majority of these costs are covered by medicare (the Australian equivalent of the NHS).

I use medibank private insurance but there are lots of others. The website iselect is good at comparing prices of different companies.

Hope all goes well for you.

Sally

Guest guest36187

I have epilepsy and I am covered by HBA. We were told the same as you when we had our 457.

You`ll have no hassles and meds are available here. Not free as in UK. I miss that part!

We have ended up going with AXA, which is very expensive and doesnt include any pre existing medical conditions, which we are told is standard practice. But we arent bound to a contract so when we have susses out the market a bit more will go with somebody else, perhaps in AUS.

We were told that we were required to have private medical insurance to proceed with the visa, but as far as I am aware we should only face problems if we cant convince immigration that the epilepsy is under control?

Anyway the application is in now, so we are just hoping for the best.

Thanks for all the feedback

Guest Jackie Smith

I came here on a temp 457 visa. I was toild that the only company which provides full cover for 457 visa holders is Medibank - this includes full cover for all sorts of yukky things like repatriation of your body in the event of death etc. The cover is not cheap - I think it was about $300 per month but it was paid for by my employer. I thought it was a condition of the 457 visa that employers pay this on your behalf - might be worth looking into as you will definitely want the full cover and it could save you a fortune if you can get your employer to pay.

Hi Marcus and Sally

Thanks so much for bringing the subject of epilepsy and Medical Insurance up, as I have just been offered a job in Melbourne, for which they are going to sponsor me on 457, but I'm worried about the medical insurance (I have partially controlled epilepsy). And now as it is Christmas everything has closed down and I'm not sure what is going to happen (they want me to start work in February).

They are trying to get BUPA to cover me, but I don't know if they will-do you know any other insurance companies I can try if I need to? Do you think it will be a problem?

Thanks

Torie

My husband is diabetic and it caused no issues re visa 457/or PR which we have just got, My employer pushed me to get private health insurance but i never did, however on the email confirming my 457 it states quite clearly that your Australian employer is responsible for any and all health costs incurred by you or your family whilst working on the 457.

Also just being nosey but where are you going to work in Melbourne?? xx

• 3 months later...
Guest Tor12345

Hi there

Sorry for dealy in responding-I made it over to Oz in the end, but not until the end of March-and have been working crazy hours ever since! I'm in the Docklands area....how about you?

Cheers

Torei

Archived