You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Gollywobbler

Significant Changes to GSM program from 1st Jan 2010

At this time of year I am not able to respond to lots of questions about specific applications - if I do so I will never have time to look after clients, nor have time with family and friends: it is 11.30am on Sunday morning here, and a social gathering beckons!

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

Guest Gollywobbler
Dear Alan,

Thanks for very informative explanation on gomatilda site regarding upcoming GSM changes .I would be extremely thankful if you write me, would these changes effect already lodged onshore trade applications for PR? I mean do we have to give Job ready test and TRA assessment even though we have lodge our applications a long time ago.

thanks

Cathy

Hi Cathy77

The new rules which are the subject of this thread will not affect your visa application because that has already been lodged.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Cathy77
Hi Cathy77

The new rules which are the subject of this thread will not affect your visa application because that has already been lodged.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill for replying me, I was depressed from past two, three days reading over and over same PDF which really made me sick and vulnerable.

Being subclass 886 and minster's hate for onshore applicant made me vulnerable. My heart pounds with every GSM changes. I am afraid I might get heart attack one day.

At least for now I am feeling bit relaxed and can leave my PC which I am glued with since morning and googling evrey possible news, forum which satisfy me.

Once again thanks

Cathy

Guest Thamby
$220 is the fee payable to the WA Government for Sponsorship.

The Visa Application Charge payable to the Department of Immigration is $2,525.

Consider lodging a subclass 175 application and transitioning across to a 176 when the WA sponsorship comes through.

Best regards.

Thanks for your advice Alan and Gill.

I will be drafting an e-mail today ready for the morning.

Cheers

Guest izephyr

Hi Everybody,

As all of you have been waiting for the news on changes of migration program rules, the DIAC has today announced the forthcoming changes in the program. It focus, especially on the 175, 176, 475 visa application where a successful skill assessment is a MUST for all applicant regardless of their location. It means the same rules apply for both the on-shore and offshore applicants.

To read more about the changes please follow this link.

The department has also changed their refund policy which applies to all refund applications made after 21 December 2009; those who already applied for a refund prior to this but the case has not yet been finalized are also covered by the same policy. However, the detail of the policy is not available yet. I think if anybody wish a refund should contact the department to make sure whether they are eligible for a refund or not. To read more about the changes please follow this link.

I assume that there are more changes to come in the program, especially in the prioritization and MODL or CSL or whatever they may call it.

Hope the rest of the news brings something good to us who already applied for a visa and for those who are planning to do so.

Does this imply tht anybody applying for visa with DIAC after 1 st jan have to redo the skill assessments ?

Skill assessment applied on: 9/01/09 rcvd on: 12/03/09 ACT State Sponsorship applied on: 07/04/09 rcvd on: 11/12/09 176 Visa Application made on: 19/02/2010 CO Allocated 12/11/10 Medicals& PCC 13/01/2011 Job Verification 05/05/2011 Visa Grant

Guest izephyr
Does this imply tht anybody applying for visa with DIAC after 1 st jan have to redo the skill assessments ?

The recent changes suggest that you will need to assess your qualifications in the new system, especially for those jobs that are assessed by Vetassess who has already changed their assessment criterion and included "Job Experience" as an important factor. Vetassess suggested that any assessment issued after January 01 2010 will be based on the new assessment criteria; applications submitted on or after 18th Decemebr must satisfy the new requirements for assessment. If you already have your qualifications assessed by Vetassess it will be alright but Vetassess anticipate that the department may ask for a new assessment if there is a significant gap between the assessment issue date and application derangement date.

SO, IT IS UPTO THE DIAC WHETHER THEY WILL ASK FOR A RE-ASSESSMENT OR NOT BUT IT DEPENDS ON YOUR ASSESSMENT AND VISA APPLICATION DATE.

By the way, so far Vetassess is the only assessment authority who changed the assessment criteria and others will just follow.

Guest Thamby

this too is what i am wondering having done TRA in sep 09

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sherin

No it will not include everybody who proposes to apply for a GSM visa in 2010.

It will only affect some of the applicants for onshore GSM visas - that is visas in subclasses 885, 886 and 487. Within these three subclasses, it will also only affect applicants for visas who intend to nominate certain specified trade occupations. It will NOT affect every single new applicant for an onshore GSM visa.

As yet, the announcement by DIAC is incomplete and therefore very unhelpful because it does not specify which occupations will be affected. Without knowing which applications are involved it is impossible to say how many ex-International Students will be affected or which occupations will be involved.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

The recent changes suggest that you will need to assess your qualifications in the new system, especially for those jobs that are assessed by Vetassess who has already changed their assessment criterion and included "Job Experience" as an important factor. Vetassess suggested that any assessment issued after January 01 2010 will be based on the new assessment criteria; applications submitted on or after 18th Decemebr must satisfy the new requirements for assessment. If you already have your qualifications assessed by Vetassess it will be alright but Vetassess anticipate that the department may ask for a new assessment if there is a significant gap between the assessment issue date and application derangement date.

SO, IT IS UPTO THE DIAC WHETHER THEY WILL ASK FOR A RE-ASSESSMENT OR NOT BUT IT DEPENDS ON YOUR ASSESSMENT AND VISA APPLICATION DATE.

By the way, so far Vetassess is the only assessment authority who changed the assessment criteria and others will just follow.

Hello Izephyr

With respect, most of what you have said above is inaccurate and misleading.

The intention with regard to skills assessments is confined to ex-International Students who now (or will later) wish to apply for onshore GSM visas in subclasses 885, 886 and 487. The new skills assessment requirements will have zero impact on those who wish to apply for offshore GSM visas in subclasses 175, 176 and 475.

Also, not all skills will be affected. As yet, DIAC have not published a list of the occupations which will be affected by the need to produce new skills assessments dated on or after 1st January 2010. Without the list of affected occupations, it is impossible to say which skills assessment authorities will be involved.

It is possible that the list of affected occupations will not be published until 1st January 2010 since the Minister is playing cat & mouse with prospective applicants for the onshore visas in order to prevent them from jumping in with immediate applications for sc 885, 886 and 487 visas prior to 1st January 2010 and defeating or diluting some of the impact of the new arrangements by so doing.

This cat & mouse game is a DISGRACEFUL way for a Government which boasts of openness, transparency and accountability in its dealings with the public to behave. Absolutely disgraceful and another nail in the coffin of the Rudd Government, frankly. They have lost control of the skilled migration program and they are resorting to low cunning and underhanded tactics - not brains - in an effort to regain control of it.

Having lured countless thousands of International Students to Australia with an International Education programme that produces $15 billion AUD a year for the Aussie economy - and which provides direct and indirect employment for thousands of Aussies - the Rudd Government is now seeking to shift the goalposts on many of the said International Students by making it harder for them to seek PR in Australia. It is completely immoral to do this to them AFTER taking their money from them, bluntly.

Ultimately the Australian Government and the Australian people will suffer from this dishonest double-dealing by Krudd and his Kronies. International Students will eschew Australia and will probably seek to come to the UK for International Education instead. If the Students abandon Australia in the numbers which I think they will, it could cause a double dip recession in Australia with the loss of much of the $15 billion revenue which is currently Australia's third largest export. It is a foolish, dangerous game.

The only intending applicants for offshore GSM visas who will be affected by the latest changes are those who have not been working in their nominated occupations for 12 out of the last 24 months. It will affect somebody (for example only) such as a Bricklayer who has spent the last 3 years working as an Office Manager or as a Welder instead of laying bricks for his living. Offshore GSM visas are those in subclasses 175, 176 and 475 only.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
this too is what i am wondering having done TRA in sep 09

Hi Thamby

The changes announced so far for 1st January 2010 will not affect you.

However with the Rudd Government's dismal track record, it is not safe to assume that further disruptive changes will not be announced on or before 1st January 2010 and with any changes that we don't yet know about, we cannot assume that as yet unknown changes would not affect you.

Go Matilda, Veronika Hurbis and Visa Bureau all advise that any visa applications that can be submitted before 1st January 2010 should be submitted before then, to be on the safe side and to protect the intending visa applicants concerned. All of the Registered Migration Agents in those three firms have impeccable reputations for competence and honesty. None of them are prone to silly panic but all of them are prone to the proper degree of protection of their clients. Only a fool would ignore the unanimous advice of all three of them. Their unequivocal advice is contained in the articles below:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

NEWS & FAQs

http://www.visabureau.com/blog/post/New-legislation-regarding-Australian-skilled-migration.aspx

The Government's own explanatory statement about the now-announced 1st January changes is here:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/199121D669658226CA25768D0007245F/$file/F2009L04559.pdf

You have told me that you have given your migration agent $3,000 AUD in total so far. You say that your own card has not been debited with $2,525 AUD (or its sterling equivalent) in order to pay DIAC for an sc 175 application without waiting for the outcome of your application to WA for State sponsorship for a proposed sc 176 visa for you.

In your shoes I would INSIST that a sc 175 application must be lodged immediately unless your agent has a cast-iron reason for resisting doing so. Closeness to Christmas is not a viable excuse for not dealing with this. MANY registered migration agents will find themselves working during the forthcoming public holidays and there is no reason why your own agent should not be one of them. These agents choose to try to make a living out of interfering with other people's desires to migrate to Australia in return for far more money than a solicitor in England & Wales would charge for selling the same client's house. The responsibility which goes with that is putting the clients' needs ahead of the agent's own plans for the holidays.

Cheers

Gill

Guest rachbarlow

So just to get this right in my own head (again), if you haver submitted 175 already securing MODL etc, and have passed TRA, but are waiting for WA SS to transfer to 176, we SHOULD be ok?? However I know that there are no guarentees like normal!!

I don't know what we would do without you Gill!!!!! :notworthy: I know that I am not on my own in thanking you for your constant input, updates and helpful advice!!

Rachx

Guest Gollywobbler
So just to get this right in my own head (again), if you haver submitted 175 already securing MODL etc, and have passed TRA, but are waiting for WA SS to transfer to 176, we SHOULD be ok?? However I know that there are no guarentees like normal!!

I don't know what we would do without you Gill!!!!! :notworthy: I know that I am not on my own in thanking you for your constant input, updates and helpful advice!!

Rachx

Hi Rach

Yes - on present showing, you should be immune from the changes which are the subject of this thread.

I don't trust the Australian Govt and they may be hatching up further changes that we don't know about - and can't find out about yet. However your sc 175 visa application is safe so far and you do not need to do anything prior to 1st Jan 2010 as far as anyone can say at the moment.

Cheers :12:

Gill

xx

Guest charw
Hi Rach

Yes - on present showing, you should be immune from the changes which are the subject of this thread.

I don't trust the Australian Govt and they may be hatching up further changes that we don't know about - and can't find out about yet. However your sc 175 visa application is safe so far and you do not need to do anything prior to 1st Jan 2010 as far as anyone can say at the moment.

Cheers :12:

Gill

xx

Who else can trust??:laugh:

Rachx

Oh, that's true!!!

If there was something like a trade union for Aus migrants Gill would be indisputable leader of it.

And I wish it was.

Living in Perth since June 2010 :biggrin:

Guest Violet S

Hi Gill,

Oh no... that's mean it will effect me... my nominated occupation is librarian while my job is teaching... :-(

what should i do now? I don't know which category can i fit into after this new rules...:-(

Violet

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Oh no... that's mean it will effect me... my nominated occupation is librarian while my job is teaching... :-(

what should i do now? I don't know which category can i fit into after this new rules...:-(

Violet

Hi Violet

You have already submitted your visa application back in September 2009, so the new changes will have no impact on your current application for an sc 475 visa.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Violet S

Oh praise God. thanks, Gill.

Will have to wait patiently for the gift from God in His time.

Violet.

Guest Thamby
Hi Thamby

The changes announced so far for 1st January 2010 will not affect you.

However with the Rudd Government's dismal track record, it is not safe to assume that further disruptive changes will not be announced on or before 1st January 2010 and with any changes that we don't yet know about, we cannot assume that as yet unknown changes would not affect you.

Go Matilda, Veronika Hurbis and Visa Bureau all advise that any visa applications that can be submitted before 1st January 2010 should be submitted before then, to be on the safe side and to protect the intending visa applicants concerned. All of the Registered Migration Agents in those three firms have impeccable reputations for competence and honesty. None of them are prone to silly panic but all of them are prone to the proper degree of protection of their clients. Only a fool would ignore the unanimous advice of all three of them. Their unequivocal advice is contained in the articles below:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

NEWS & FAQs

New legislation regarding Australian skilled migration

The Government's own explanatory statement about the now-announced 1st January changes is here:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/199121D669658226CA25768D0007245F/$file/F2009L04559.pdf

You have told me that you have given your migration agent $3,000 AUD in total so far. You say that your own card has not been debited with $2,525 AUD (or its sterling equivalent) in order to pay DIAC for an sc 175 application without waiting for the outcome of your application to WA for State sponsorship for a proposed sc 176 visa for you.

In your shoes I would INSIST that a sc 175 application must be lodged immediately unless your agent has a cast-iron reason for resisting doing so. Closeness to Christmas is not a viable excuse for not dealing with this. MANY registered migration agents will find themselves working during the forthcoming public holidays and there is no reason why your own agent should not be one of them. These agents choose to try to make a living out of interfering with other people's desires to migrate to Australia in return for far more money than a solicitor in England & Wales would charge for selling the same client's house. The responsibility which goes with that is putting the clients' needs ahead of the agent's own plans for the holidays.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

She said she will lodge the 175 at my request i have the money in their account ready for to lodge 176 so she will use the money to go ahead with the 175 straight away.

How long would it take to transfer to 176?

Thanks

Thamby:biggrin:

Seems like 'immediate' changes to GSM will be the trend for future as well. Why is Chris Evans doing this? Has the global economic downturn impacted Australia that much? I think NOT!

Chris Evans reminds me of a history lesson where one 'bad' ruler decides the fate of hundreds of thousands of people. Chris Evans - you are no Santa!!

Gill, this is purely a suggestion: As we are anticipating some more announcements soon, this thread will be a hot topic for discussion in coming weeks. I reckon this thread should be placed in 'Sticky Threads'.

Merry Christmas Everyone :hug:

Guest izephyr
Hello Izephyr

With respect, most of what you have said above is inaccurate and misleading,..

,..spent the last 3 years working as an Office Manager or as a Welder instead of laying bricks for his living. Offshore GSM visas are those in subclasses 175, 176 and 475 only.

Cheers

Gill

i'm sorry for the incorrect information. Please moderate the post so that it can be helpful for the people. In no way, my intention IS to mislead my fellow PIOers.

Thanks

Gill, this is purely a suggestion: As we are anticipating some more announcements soon,

Yes, we haven't seen the new MODL announcement yet and its transitional procedures from CSL.

So, New Year - New Battle.

Let's rest well to have enough energy for jumping over new hurdles!

Living in Perth since June 2010 :biggrin:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi tcillc

Thanks for your suggestion. However whilst I've been asleep in the UJK (it is now 9am here) George Lombard has been able to provide a list of the occupations which will be affected by the recent announcement that this thread deals with.

George's information is much more valuable than this thread so I have made George's thread sticky instead. It is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/74783-occupations-requiring-recent-work-experience.html

Merry Christmas, hon, and all the very best for the New Year :xmas3:

Cheers

Gill

xx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi izephyr

Please don't worry about a thing. These new changes - announced five minutes before the start of the holidays - are very confusing and I am struggling to understand what the heck is going on now..... Hasn't this Minister caused enough trouble for one year with all the inept tinkering around that has been going on since last December?

George Lombard's new thread is working wonders to make the latest changes easier to understand. It is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/74783-occupations-requiring-recent-work-experience.html

A very merry Christmas to you and you family and here's hoping for plain sailing for you in the New Year, hon. :santatrumpet:

Cheers

Gill

xx