British Airways to go on strike at Christmas

kernow43

Guest proud2beaussie

Kernow,

I spoke with my friend who is a London travel agent,as well as a friend at Qantas sales in London and another at STA travel in London,all three said that reports of price gauging by airlines,including Qantas to take advantage of the BA strike are without foundation,I have also checked the UK websites of Qantas and Singapore Airlines and the highest price that I have been able to find for a return trip LHR to MEL,departing 25 Deceember and returning 7 January (traditionally amongst the busiest travel dates of the year) is £2302.00 or $4175.00,those fares are fairly high but certainly not unusual in my experience,it's a case of supply and demand,the fares rise as available seats are booked.

By the way the 5% price rise was for travel ex Australia so it's not really relevant to travel from the UK.

At the moment I can see no evidence of predatory pricing by any airline,let alone Qantas.

Kernow,

I spoke with my friend who is a London travel agent,as well as a friend at Qantas sales in London and another at STA travel in London,all three said that reports of price gauging by airlines,including Qantas to take advantage of the BA strike are without foundation,I have also checked the UK websites of Qantas and Singapore Airlines and the highest price that I have been able to find for a return trip LHR to MEL,departing 25 Deceember and returning 7 January (traditionally amongst the busiest travel dates of the year) is £2302.00 or $4175.00,those fares are fairly high but certainly not unusual in my experience,it's a case of supply and demand,the fares rise as available seats are booked.

By the way the 5% price rise was for travel ex Australia so it's not really relevant to travel from the UK.

At the moment I can see no evidence of predatory pricing by any airline,let alone Qantas.

Thanks for that Nigel, but the report did say it was on Tuesday, so perhaps it is not happening now. I am surprised that Qantas has not picked up on the SMH report.

You must have very good contacts in UK to be able to ring in the middle of the night Nigel lol:wink:

Guest proud2beaussie

Kernow43,

If there was any evidence of predatory pricing by any airlines,including Qantas,I would be the first to report on it,my business relies on getting the best fares possible for my customers whilst still being able to make a reasonable commission,in a competitive airline market such as we have now I think any airline that cynically tried to make profit out of others misfortunes would suffer in the long term.

I have seen reports in the UK media of airlines raising fares by 40% since the strike was announced but as yet I haven't been able to substantiate those reports,if I see any evidence that it's true then I give you my word that I will post it here,and that includes if Qantas is involved.

As for the last comment on your post then yeah I have friends in the industry in the UK who are nightowls,I often get calls from them at very strange times.

Kind regards

Nigel

PS:Just got an email that says Eurostar drivers are also going on strike-I wouldn't want to be travelling in the UK this christmas!

Guest proud2beaussie

I've just heard a report of someone being quoted the equivalent of $9000.00 for a one way from London to Sydney on the 26th on Cathay Pacific,I'm trying to find out if that is what's called a "published" fare,which is a bit like what you may be quoted to buy a new car from a dealer-often bears little resemblance to what you would actually pay,however if it is a real quote then that is evidence of profiteering IMO and is OTT.

Seems as though it is a power struggle with the unions.Another aspect

lhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6825375/British-Airways-strike-analysis.htmlhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/6828055/BA-strikers-are-a-disgrace-to-their-profession.html

Guest proud2beaussie

BA has been a basket case for the last ten years Kernow,it has suffered due to poor management in many areas.

It has an ageing fleet which although safe is tatty looking,it's hard product in business class is way behind airlines like Singapore and Emirates,it has poor schedules on key European routes and it's crew often leave a lot to be desired,I haven't paid to fly on BA for 5 years,nor would I while the current management continues to give itself pay rises while the structure of the airline suffers.

I don't support cabin crew pulling a strike at a crucial time for the airline,they need all their staff on deck in an attempt to win back some of the passengers they have lost,but the current management has a lot to answer for in the mess that a once great carrier finds itself in.

BA has been a basket case for the last ten years Kernow,it has suffered due to poor management in many areas.

It has an ageing fleet which although safe is tatty looking,it's hard product in business class is way behind airlines like Singapore and Emirates,it has poor schedules on key European routes and it's crew often leave a lot to be desired,I haven't paid to fly on BA for 5 years,nor would I while the current management continues to give itself pay rises while the structure of the airline suffers.

I don't support cabin crew pulling a strike at a crucial time for the airline,they need all their staff on deck in an attempt to win back some of the passengers they have lost,but the current management has a lot to answer for in the mess that a once great carrier finds itself in.

I think that is realistic comment Nigel, sad though it may be, but then look at Flyglobespan what they have been through. Why is it that governments have bailed out the banks, but don't care for the airlines?

Guest proud2beaussie
Why is it that governments have bailed out the banks, but don't care for the airlines?

A fair question mate,and one that I certainly don't have the answer for,maybe we should ask Mr Brown?.

Guest proud2beaussie
He's too busy big noting himself in Copenhagen!lol

Perhaps Mr Rudd could ask him on our behalf then? he's with him I think.:biggrin:

Perhaps Mr Rudd could ask him on our behalf then? he's with him I think.:biggrin:

I did hear today that all the ladies & gents in the ah entertainment industry in Copenhagen are offering freebies, Kevin would like that, cheaper than the bars of New York, say no more as I am going off topic!:Randy-git:

Guest proud2beaussie
I did hear today that all the ladies & gents in the ah entertainment industry in Copenhagen are offering freebies, Kevin would like that, cheaper than the bars of New York, say no more as I am going off topic!

Consider yourself severely told off then.:wink:

Guest proud2beaussie

Well that's good news I guess but it's really just delaying resolution of the underlying issues,BA management must come up with a plan that puts the airline on a firm footing for the next 10 years,the current CEO and management team have presided over the fall of a great airline from a position at the top of the worlds airlines to the current position where BA is seen as not much better than some of the low cost carriers which is a great shame IMO.

They need to get some funding in place to renew their fleet now rather than wait till 2012 when they get their first A380,they need better trainined crew and ground staff and they need a new website.

If they can get these issues fixed then 10 years from now they may still be operating under their own brand,if not then I predict that within 2 to 3 years the BA brand will be swallowed up by an airline like Delta.

Apparently, 14,000 cabin crew workers were involved in the strike.

80% voted in the ballot.

There was a 92% vote for action to be taken.

Willie Walsh (BA boss) wants the staff to take a pay cut - he had a 6% pay rise last year. Plus he got an extra £90,000 into his pension fund. He was chief exec. at Aer Lingus for 3 years, he cut a third of the workforce.

I think it's a sad day for workers and unions.

And I expect there will be some very unhappy cabin crew over this period - and a lot of complaints from customers!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie
I expect there will be some very unhappy cabin crew over this period - and a lot of complaints from customers!!!!

Unfortunately Sue from my experience with BA,and that of many of my clients,that wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary.

As I said in an earlier post BA has been a basket case for the last 10 years and they have been left behind by the likes of Emirates and Singapore Airlines, a great shame IMO,in the 80's and 90's BA was a leading airline,however at the moment they are second rate.(my opinion only of course).

Guest proud2beaussie

I think the only hope for them is to get the unions onside with the management which means give and take on both sides,come up with some concrete plans to improve things,create a whole new advertising campaign to entice passengers back,get some money in (don't ask me how,maybe a capital raising like Qantas did earlier this year)lease some new aircraft,cut some routes and increase services on the remainder,all of those things,together with a new attitude from management may save them.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nigel

I think the first thing BA needs to do is to get rid of Willie Walsh. He does not have the support of his staff and the passengers are sick of the uncertainty. I wouldn't want shares in BA.

Cheers

Gill

Guest siamsusie
remainder,all of those things,together with a new attitude from management may save them.

Prima Donnas the lot of them (employees included), without passengers there is no airline, and for me their partners in crime are no better either:laugh:

Archived