British Airways to go on strike at Christmas

kernow43

Kernow the link you posted doesn't work (well for me at least).

This one should work.

British Airways Cabin Crew to Stage Christmas Strike (Update4) - Bloomberg.com

Thanks for that Nigel, just on the conditions of cabin staff they are paid almost double of Virgin Atlantic! Quote"For example, a crew member flying to Tokyo for a four-day trip would receive allowances of £935 in addition to both salary and hotel costs"

Appears just like greed, as they have to work just a wee bit harder to cover for the loss of 1 person out of 15. No wonder Britain is going down the sewer!:arghh:

Guest proud2beaussie

If the strike goes ahead(it may not) then it may cause severe disruption to anyone travelling with BA on the UK-AUS route,if there are any PIO members booked to travel with BA in the next few weeks I urge them to contact the airline to clarify whether any other arrangements have been made for their flights.

It may be necessary to make arrangements to travel with other carriers and travel insurance may not cover any extra costs incurred in all cases,either contact BA or your travel agent.

If the strike goes ahead(it may not) then it may cause severe disruption to anyone travelling with BA on the UK-AUS route,if there are any PIO members booked to travel with BA in the next few weeks I urge them to contact the airline to clarify whether any other arrangements have been made for their flights.

It may be necessary to make arrangements to travel with other carriers and travel insurance may not cover any extra costs incurred in all cases,either contact BA or your travel agent.

We have friends coming out[hopefully] with BA on Boxing Day. I believe any travel insurance after November 2 will not be taken into account.

B.A are trying to stop the strike on "legal grounds" somehow btw.

Hi Pablo, I think they are trying to block it by saying some of the ballot was illegal because of staff who had left were in the ballot, but it is believed that the number is too small to count.

Guest proud2beaussie

Latest Qantas News Qantas Statement on British Airways Industrial Action 15 December 2009

Qantas said today that industrial action by British Airways (BA) cabin crew from 22 December would have no impact on Qantas operations between Australia and the United Kingdom.

Qantas Group Executive Government and Corporate Affairs, Mr David Epstein, said the airline's first priority was to its customers, including those booked on codeshare services operated by BA.

"All Qantas services between Australia and the UK will operate as scheduled over the Christmas and New Year period," Mr Epstein said.

"The action does, however, have the potential to disrupt the travel plans of Qantas customers booked on BA services.

"We have been working with BA overnight and today, and have determined we have sufficient capacity across the 12 days to accommodate Qantas ticketed passengers booked on BA codeshare flights between Australia and the UK on existing Qantas services.

"This will provide certainty for Qantas customers travelling to and from the UK."

Qantas will provide alternative options, where possible, for other affected customers, such as those booked on BA services into Europe out of London. These will include allowing changes to bookings without penalty and, on some routes, opportunities to travel on other carriers.

Customers will be contacted over coming days regarding their options. Some flexibility may be needed regarding changes to travel dates and times.

Updated information will be available on qantas.com as it becomes available, and customers will be contacted by their travel agent, or by Qantas where their booking was made directly with Qantas.

"We will continue to liaise with BA regarding its plans for the period between 22 December and 2 January, and closely monitor what further action we can take to minimise impacts on our customers," Mr Epstein said.

Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (3995)

Guest proud2beaussie

The cabin crew union have been in negotiation with BA management since the middle of the year when BA announced a £440m loss and the cabin crew were asked to take a pay cut ,the union has been threatening strike action for some time,I'm not surprised that they have decided to pull a strike at the busiest time of the year for the airline-it makes good industrial sense to hit the management hard when they need all their staff working.

Guest proud2beaussie

My information is that the Qantas strike probably won't go ahead,the management is meeting with the unions about it in order to head it off.

Guest Prickles83

I have flights booked with Cathay but from Newcastle to London the flight has a Cathay Pacific Flight number but says British Airways are operating the flight. Is this what they mean by code share?

The cabin crew union have been in negotiation with BA management since the middle of the year when BA announced a £440m loss and the cabin crew were asked to take a pay cut ,the union has been threatening strike action for some time,I'm not surprised that they have decided to pull a strike at the busiest time of the year for the airline-it makes good industrial sense to hit the management hard when they need all their staff working.

Rip off airline Qantas has a handful of economy seats available London to Sydney at over $A7000 return. talk about kicking people when they are down! One reason I never use Qantas.:arghh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Kernow as I have posted already the fare increase was announced to the industry well before the strike was announced,and calling Qantas a rip off airline is uncalled for and not justified on the facts.

Also fares always rise as we get closer to christmas and new year,it's not unusual,a friend booked a premium economy seat with Air NZ only a week or so ago and the fare was close to $6000.00 so I'm not surprised to see a $7000.00 figure quoted.

Kernow as I have posted already the fare increase was announced to the industry well before the strike was announced,and calling Qantas a rip off airline is uncalled for and not justified on the facts.

You did Nigel, I think you quoted a 5% increase. This is a bit more than 5%.

Guest proud2beaussie

Where exactly are you getting this $7000.00 figure anyway? my access to the Qantas system gives me a return fare for flight departing christmas day and returning on the 3rd of January of $2692.00,so what dates are you quoting and can you post a link to them?

Where exactly are you getting this $7000.00 figure anyway? my access to the Qantas system gives me a return fare for flight departing christmas day and returning on the 3rd of January of $2692.00,so what dates are you quoting and can you post a link to them?

Some airlines, including Singapore Airlines, have already sold out their London to Sydney economy seats for the duration of the strike.

Qantas, which has code-share arrangements with BA, had a handful of economy seats available for 3942 pounds ($7000) return by late Tuesday, while Thai Airways had combined first class/economy tickets for about 6000 pounds each.

However Emirates still had available seats for about 1458 pounds return.

BA turns to courts to ground Christmas strike plan

Guest proud2beaussie

I'm afraid that I have to go out now to see a client Kernow but while I'm out I will ring my friend who is a travel agent in London and see exactly where the SMH got the figure of $7000.00 from,I very much doubt that it will be anything more than an urban myth.

But I'll let you know later and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to apologise.

I'm afraid that I have to go out now to see a client Kernow but while I'm out I will ring my friend who is a travel agent in London and see exactly where the SMH got the figure of $7000.00 from,I very much doubt that it will be anything more than an urban myth.

But I'll let you know later and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to apologise.

Thanks Nigel, if it is an urban myth I am sure Qantas would take the SMH to task for denigrating them in such a fashion.

Guest Gollywobbler

Errmmm, Nigel!

How many people want to visit Oz for a week or so on the dates you suggest? Visiting Oz is not worth it for such a short stay except for business reasons, surely?

According to the British papers today, the other airlines have sufficient capacity to carry all the BA passengers booked on scheduled flights out of the UK and the papers say that there isn't a major practical problem with the scheduled flights. (It sounds like the others - led by Singapore Airlines - are licking their commercial chops. The passenger will not only use the competitor but will also curse and avoid BA for the next decade - bad joss travels fast in the long haul game and it is sticky bad joss.)

I don't know about package holidays (eg to join a cruise ship in the Caribbean) when the flight to or back from the Caribbean is with BA. Are those ordinary scheduled flights or are they some sort of charter arrangement?

Thanks

Gill

Archived