10 months in, UK - Melbourne on $10k!

Guest Hearne_Family

Guest Lilypad

Just to add to the 'Hearne family' tips for money saving. I use 'freecycle' in Cardiff and have already joined freecycle in Canberra (we're not there yet - but I'm prepared)! Just do a google search for freecycle and your location and see what you get. The principle is to recycle things which would otherwise end up in landfill. You're not allowed to buy or sell. We've got a slow cooker, cot, books, kids toys, pram ... and we've given away lots of our belongings in Cardiff on it. Hope that helps.

Guest Hearne_Family
Just to add to the 'Hearne family' tips for money saving. I use 'freecycle' in Cardiff and have already joined freecycle in Canberra (we're not there yet - but I'm prepared)! Just do a google search for freecycle and your location and see what you get. The principle is to recycle things which would otherwise end up in landfill. You're not allowed to buy or sell. We've got a slow cooker, cot, books, kids toys, pram ... and we've given away lots of our belongings in Cardiff on it. Hope that helps.

Good tip, we are also members of Casey Freecycle here in Berwick, a very handy site and great to get stop gap items until you can save for better newer stuff.

What a great story!

You guys have a fab attitude. We are just beginning our adventure and trying to see if we qualify for a visa to go to Oz. I think you make a great point about going with the flow and adapting to the different lifestyle and pace, rather than whining about the difference between the UK and Oz. I was feeling lost and confused until I read your post. Thank you so much!

clan mac from glasgow

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just think this post is great and want to thank you for inspiring people like me, who wont have much in the way of money but lots of determination to have a better quality of life! Hope everything is still going well :) x x x

Guest Hearne_Family

Esme, a positive attitude will take you far here. Things are still going great here, just had a baby daughter so we are up to our ears in nappies!

• 1 month later...
Guest sharon and gaz
Terry

What a great attitude to life. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story. Paul

Hi Terry

Just stumbled upon your post and must admit it brought a smile to my face.Sharon and myself will also be coming on a limited budget as we have no house to sell.Its been hard saving up to get there but we have same determined attitude to do well.I will be telling Woods i will be arriving 29th june nxt year, can't wait.You give inspiration to a lot of people.

p.s. Do you still have the Falcon?

All the best,

Garry

Guest Hearne_Family
Hi Terry

Just stumbled upon your post and must admit it brought a smile to my face.Sharon and myself will also be coming on a limited budget as we have no house to sell.Its been hard saving up to get there but we have same determined attitude to do well.I will be telling Woods i will be arriving 29th june nxt year, can't wait.You give inspiration to a lot of people.

p.s. Do you still have the Falcon?

All the best,

Garry

Hi Garry,

Im glad if my post helps people realise that with the right attitude and realistic goals the move can be made on a limited budget.

Yes the Falcon is still going strong, its currently displays 303,146kms on the clock which stopped working about 6 months ago so I can only guess at about 330kms now!

Terry.

Guest DaveBecs

What a brilliant post, the OH and me are going out to Tas in November, our furniture is being shipped out next week and we aren't taking a great deal of money with us either. So glad to see it can be done, you have put our minds at rest.

Thank you

• 2 years later...
Guest belfastm

Hi terry i myself have been offerd a job as a panel beater with the woods group. I am in the process of arrangibg everything and selling up my own bodyshop. I have hundreds if questions rolling threw my mind but i would like to ask is it only natural to gave doubts? What are woods like ad an employer? Is there work much different than ours in uk? Also im coming out alone, how easy is it meeting people . Thanks

Great post, great attitude, who wants to spend 25000-40000 relocating!! Have already been on gumtree.com.au checking the costs of things.

Just wanted to ask you about your mention of converting your car to LPG?? Can this be done on all cars?? cost? Sorry, I never heard of doing this!

Big congrats on your promotion!! Must be your CAN DO attitude!

Kind Regards

Cazmayo

Hi terry i myself have been offerd a job as a panel beater with the woods group. I am in the process of arrangibg everything and selling up my own bodyshop. I have hundreds if questions rolling threw my mind but i would like to ask is it only natural to gave doubts? What are woods like ad an employer? Is there work much different than ours in uk? Also im coming out alone, how easy is it meeting people . Thanks

Hi,

you may not get the answer's you are looking for as this is a very old thread, if you go to the Jobs and Career's section of the forum you could start a new thread with a list of questions that i am sure will be answered, if you need any help give me a shout. Good luck

Archived