Where best to live in australia and what areas to avoid.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone, Please take part in this helpful thread and i will update your posts to with your information.

i have been thinking about starting this thread to help people like us who are thinking about emigrating to the great country that is Australia and wouldn't it be great to have information on each state about where the good affordable low crime areas are and the areas to avoid. I will set the first of these threads on WA Perth where i have been and then i will re-post it for the rest of the states. Others who live and know the surrounding areas can add to the lists so that the information on each state good and bad can build up to help everyone, please join in and give us your knowledge.

wa- perth. Not in the best place to live order, just good and not so good areas.

Good areas.

1. Secret Harbour. nice area with alot of new housing near the sea.

2. Rockingham. A city, but not like the uk, very quiet, nice beach, a few sops and nice restaraunts, park and barbecue areas.

3. Baldivis. nice new development 10km from the sea near main road to perth 35km away and 10km away from Rockingham

4. Mandurah. Beautiful seaside area with shops and resteraunts, with marina and esturey with dolphins, 70km from Perth.

5. Leeming.

6. Willerton.

7. Murdoch.

8. Kardinya.

9. Rolystone- Good Shopping Centre.

10. Byford- GSC.

11. Mount Nassura- GSC.

carry on

Not so good areas.

1. Balga.

2. Girawheen.

3. Certain parts of Armadale- you need to research this if you intend on going there.

carry on

please note any added comments about good schools, universities and facilities, such as shopping areas and things to do would be great to know about.

cheers everyone, hopefully it will make interesting and helpful reading.

jim.:biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

New South Wales. please post your good and bad areas and i will update the lists and put in your helpful Information.

Good places to live. Come on you poms in NSW give us your views.

1. Katherine Bay.

carry on

not so good places.

i don't know any so please fill in.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Queensland- Brisbane. please post your good and bad areas and i will update the lists and put in your helpful information.

Good places to live.

1. Mackay.

2. Townsville.

3. North Lakes.

4. Narongba.

5. Scarborough

6. Murrumba Downs.

7. Noosa- if you are a millionaire.

8. Bulimba.

carry on.

Not so good places to live.

1. Rockhampton. More than one negative post about this place, one to avoid.

2. Fortitude valley.

3. Kallangur. A bit run down.

4. Beerwha. very quiet area, isolated.

carry on.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

SA- Adelaide. please post your good and bad areas and i will update the lists and put in your helpful information.

Good places to live.

1. Victor Harbour.

carry on.

1. Elizabethtown.

carry on.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone just list your good and bad places and i will update the lists above.

please note any added comments about good schools, universities and facilities, such as shopping areas and things to do would be great to know about.

Melbourne- god and bad places to live, not in any order.

Good places.

1. Mornington peninsula.

2. Mount Martha.

3. Mount Eliza.

4. Mornington.

5. Moorooduc.

6. Red Hill.

7. Flinders

8. Torquay- long commute to CBD.

10. Point cook- someone has said it is a soul sucking surburban area. I need more on this before i put it in the not so good area, because my research shows alot of new affordable housing, in an up and coming newish area near the coast 25km from CBD. Poor internet.

Not so good.

1. Lara, a bit ferral.

2. Werribee- higher than average crime.

3. Seaford.

4. Rosebud.

5. Hastings.

6. Frankston. All above average on crime and not so great for families.

7. Tyabb.

It's a hard one as really it depends on circumstances, what is affordable to one may not be to another and also location in relation to work. My example is that I wanted somewhere within 30 mins of my work as initially I was working shifts ... but some people working those same shifts may be happy to have an hour commute. At the end of the day it really boils down to personal preference and choice. The suburb I live in won't be everyone's cup of tea because it's older and and not many new builds. For us ... an older house means a larger plot of land, being close to the city and Fremantle and 25 mins to work. Schools with good reputations and not too far to travel when children choose university. Easily commutable to all of the Uni's.

Queensland- Brisbane. please go to Quote post and put in your helpful information.

Good places to live.

1. Mackay

2.Townsville

carry on.

1.Rockhampton

carry on.

A great deal of it depends on one's way of life. If you like pub crawls and night life, then go to the big cities. If you like a laid back lifestyle, go to the country areas.

Now, I'm off fishing...again:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Queensland- Brisbane. please go to Quote post and put in your helpful information.

Good places to live.

1. Mackay

2. Townsville

carry on.

1.Rockhampton

carry on.

Above areas put in by Bobj, i have just applied for a prison job at Townsville and i am pleased to see that Bobj has posted it has a good place to live, i think this is a good idea as an informative area info site, it is a pity that PIO postees arn't showing interest in giving this info a boost, at times PIO seems to be a site just for spoof and jokey threads which i am all for, but wouldn't it be great if someone could just look at say the Perth part of this thread and see where the good and bad areas are and i know there are other sites individually, but there are a lot of people who can't decide where to go and info on one thread could be helpful.

jim - Again - anyone with info just quote post and add their good and bad areas and upload it so it can be used again and again. Hi, everyone it appears we can't do this so if you just want to put the areas good and bad i will update them on my original list.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It's a hard one as really it depends on circumstances, what is affordable to one may not be to another and also location in relation to work. My example is that I wanted somewhere within 30 mins of my work as initially I was working shifts ... but some people working those same shifts may be happy to have an hour commute. At the end of the day it really boils down to personal preference and choice. The suburb I live in won't be everyone's cup of tea because it's older and and not many new builds. For us ... an older house means a larger plot of land, being close to the city and Fremantle and 25 mins to work. Schools with good reputations and not too far to travel when children choose university. Easily commutable to all of the Uni's.

Hi ali, where are these places, if your not so certain then you don't have to mention them, but you must know some good or bad places if you list them i will update the list, cheers jim.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It IS a decent idea jim,BUT the problem is imo, that a lot of people wont be wanting to state "x is a bad area" because other members are bound to be living there,dont yer think?

Anyway,im off the footy's on now:jiggy:

Hi Pablo,

you raise a really good point here, you are probably aware of the spats on here over people who say that Clarkson in Perth is a rough area and then people who actually live there say its great, so i would put on the places mentioned and remove them according to the information received. I know from personal experience that i have struggled to get a good list of good and bad areas to live in different states and i will update the lists at the beginning of the thread and i think it could help people look at these areas. It might not take off and i will have to do the work, but if it does i will put anyones info in for everyone to share. jim

Guest JohnAvoca

Hi Helen, This is a very apt thread. My wife and I agonized for months over where to settle in Australia.

From the UK everywhere looks great. Best advice I can give is to visit before you make the jump. Australia's a funny place. Some places look great because, well, most places do when the sun is shining and the beach is nearby. But, it's only when you've been here a while or speak to locals you find out what it's really like.

In my blog www.mylifeinaustralia.com I have talked a lot about this subject and suggest some great places to settle and some to avoid. Top of the avoid list for me is Rockhampton. Yes, I know a tradesman can get a $200,000 a year job in the mines nearby and it's at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. Sounds brilliant, I know. But I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Hi ali, where are these places, if your not so certain then you don't have to mention them, but you must know some good or bad places if you list them i will update the list, cheers jim.

Good areas for me are those surrounding where I live, because they tick our boxes as a family (but wouldn't other peoples).

Leeming

Willeton

Murdoch

Kardinya

I personally wouldn't live in Armadale - but there are some really nice parts of it and it's one of those areas, where you would have to look at first, There are a lot of new housing estates and suburbs sprouting up around it - that will fall into the city of Armadale, Rolystone, Byford and mount Nassura are places very near Armadale and are lovely and the shopping centre is terrific. I haven't visited the northern suburbs or those further south from me, so can't comment on those.

Good areas for me are those surrounding where I live, because they tick our boxes as a family (but wouldn't other peoples).

Leeming

Willeton

Murdoch

Kardinya

I personally wouldn't live in Armadale - but there are some really nice parts of it and it's one of those areas, where you would have to look at first, There are a lot of new housing estates and suburbs sprouting up around it - that will fall into the city of Armadale, Rolystone, Byford and mount Nassura are places very near Armadale and are lovely and the shopping centre is terrific. I haven't visited the northern suburbs or those further south from me, so can't comment on those.

You havnt lived youngun till you bin oop NORth lol

Another thread aimed at slagging the same places off as usual. Well I suppose it has been 2 weeks or so since the last one. And I'm sure some of us have forgotten about the various mansion paradises others live in, good chance to remind everyone.

Would anyone seriously move 10,000 miles to a location based on what is stated in this thread? Actually, I suppose they would based on some of the moaning I've read on here before.

Anyway, here's my tips;

1. Research Australia before you actually decide to fill an 'application for migration' form in.

2. If it sounds like it's for you, research where in Australia you want to live based on your circumstances. The States and Cities differ a lot.

3. Pick a location.

4. Move there into a holiday home or short-term rental.

5. Assess the location you live in. Get to know as many areas as you can.

6. Choose your preferred location & get a proper rental.

7. Buy after 2 years when you really know whether Australia is for you or not.

It's not that hard really.

Guest scotties6

Victoria

Good places:

Mornington Peninsula - Mount Martha, Mount Eliza, Mornington, Moorooduc, Red Hill, Flinders. All absolutely beautiful, gorgeous beaches and scenery, great for families although can be pricey.

Avoid - Seaford, Rosebud, Hastings, Frankston, Tyabb - a bit ropey and not great for families as crime is an issue.

Hi Helen,

For QLD (Brissy) all north side because we loved that area

Good (in our opinion)

1.North Lakes/Murrumba Downs

2.Narangba

3.Noosa but only if your a millionaire!

4.Scarborough

5.Bulimba (defo my fav)

Not so good (again only our opinion)

1.Beerwah and only because we found it wasnt really for us. lovely quaint little aussie town but just a little too remote for us but for others wanting remoteness then it moves up to my good areas

2.Kallangur ok but not great quite run down when we were there

3.fotitude valley although its not really that much of a suburb

And i,ll add a nice one for NSW

Katherine Bay

cheers kelly

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Another thread aimed at slagging the same places off as usual. Well I suppose it has been 2 weeks or so since the last one. And I'm sure some of us have forgotten about the various mansion paradises others live in, good chance to remind everyone.

Would anyone seriously move 10,000 miles to a location based on what is stated in this thread? Actually, I suppose they would based on some of the moaning I've read on here before.

Anyway, here's my tips;

1. Research Australia before you actually decide to fill an 'application for migration' form in.

2. If it sounds like it's for you, research where in Australia you want to live based on your circumstances. The States and Cities differ a lot.

3. Pick a location.

4. Move there into a holiday home or short-term rental.

5. Assess the location you live in. Get to know as many areas as you can.

6. Choose your preferred location & get a proper rental.

7. Buy after 2 years when you really know whether Australia is for you or not.

It's not that hard really.

Hi gpo1971,

your post is very negative, but in a way it is very helpful, due to the points you raise, brings to mind why this IS a good idea, you might be able to do what you say but others don't have the money to just be able to go and rent and then, go somewhere else if they don't like it. The information that i will keep updating will hopefully be helpful to some and it is not to do places down, but to point out the good affordable places that we brits want to live in when we make the huge step of emigrating to the other side of the world and where better to get this good info from, but from people who live there. Any help is better than no help, cheers jim.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, everyone there are not many entries for NSW, or Adelaide, is there anyone on PIO who know any areas that they can share with us, cheers jim.

Do not agree with Tyabb, Hastings, Rosebud etc being bad areas at all. Each of these places has a mix of people from rich to not so rich. Hastings for example only has one dodgy area and its not really in the town and it is probably not so dodgy these days. A lot of elderly people live in Hastings as there are a lot of new units being built. My mum of course is a real bother in Hastings head of the 90 year old gang. There are quite a lot of people of 90 plus in Hastings.

Rosebud has nice areas from million dollar houses to cheap.

Tyabb Village is expanding and there is graffiti but as we know usually from people who do not live in the village. Surrounding areas are lovely and views of Westernport fantastic, great schools. All the Tyabb schools are considered very good.

Westernport side of the Peninsula has the train and is easier to access major roads. Its also more picturesque and rural than the other side of the Peninsula.

Having lived here in on the fringe of Somerville for over twenty years now it has changed a lot, there are now about 16000 people living here and it has everything at our finger tips which is great. 10 minutes from Frankston, Mornington, Hastings, Mount Eliza.

Graffiti is a problem all over Melbourne at present and my personal view is Utube and social networking sites have caused an increase. Goodness knows where they get the money for paint, its not cheap. Mummy probably slings a fifty and says go play with the traffic.

Archived