Sign in to follow this  
Guest renette

Anyone converted their drivers licence to WA drivers licence

Guest renette

Hello,

We have permanent residence and will not be able to enter Australia withing the first 3 months of our visa grant. according to the WA licence department, as a permanent resident you can transfer your overseas licence within the first 3 months of visa grant. thereafter you have to do the theory test.

i would just like to know how you should get around on arrival in Perth (with all your bags, 3 kids ect.), if you are not allowed to rent a car, and drive with a international drivers licence for the first while?

any advice?

thanks,

renette

Guest prettyinpink

Hi Renette

You are allowed to drive on a UK licence here in WA for the first 3 months (longer if you're on a temp visa). However, it's very important that if you do this, you must carry your passport with your licence as your means of identification, otherwise you'll receive a fine if the police stop you. I have both my UK licence and WA licence. WA licence was very easy to get, once you've filled in your application, you only need an eye test and a photo taking, pay your money and that's it. All in all took me about 10 mins.

We got our visa and didn't move for 6 months and had no problems changing over our licence.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest renette

Thanks for the quick replies! We live in Austria and have Austrian drivers licences(recognised country'). That basically means that we will be able to convert the licence without having to undergo theory tests taken that we will arrive c.a 7 months after visa grant. Guess renting a car on arrival will also be possible then.

thanks for the info!

renette