About to lodge visa - medical query

Nats

Hi,

I am just about to lodge my application, currently uploading all documents. I need to provide evidence of insurance. A friend has advised me that it is possible to take out 'holiday insurance' for a couple of months and find appropriate insurance when in Oz. Is this okay? I have read the medicare information, and it looks as though I can apply for that once in Oz. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of cover I should go for??

Thanks Natalie x

Guest guest17301

Nats, go with medibank private, pay first month and keep receipt for employer to see, than cancel...you pay out for what medicare (nhs equivalent) will cover you for.

Nats, go with medibank private, pay first month and keep receipt for employer to see, than cancel...you pay out for what medicare (nhs equivalent) will cover you for.

You dont need med ical insurance nowe on a 457 the medicare reciprocal agreement fulfils this , some have used travel insurance but some co`s would not entertain it ,some insurers now do a bridging insurance ( quick off the mark the insurance companies ) You need to submit it with your visa now Fi ( new rules) , the bridging insurance covers you while you get your medicare cards

Bugger! I waited ages for responses and went ahead & purchased travel insurance - wonder if I can get a refund on that, its not starting right away anyway!! I'll look at Medibank now, thanks Fiona. Its all sooo confusing...and so dull, its hard to understand when the subject matter is so dry, hate having to trawl through loads of information. Someone on that link mentioned IMAN health cover ... that looked liked a possibility.

You dont need med ical insurance nowe on a 457 the medicare reciprocal agreement fulfils this , some have used travel insurance but some co`s would not entertain it ,some insurers now do a bridging insurance ( quick off the mark the insurance companies ) You need to submit it with your visa now Fi ( new rules) , the bridging insurance covers you while you get your medicare cards

Right, so I dont need to take out a monthly plan? I dont need travel insurance - just 'bridging insurance'. Who offers this? do all health cover providers advertise this? Admittedly, I am a bit stupid.

thanks

Bugger! I waited ages for responses and went ahead & purchased travel insurance - wonder if I can get a refund on that, its not starting right away anyway!! I'll look at Medibank now, thanks Fiona. Its all sooo confusing...and so dull, its hard to understand when the subject matter is so dry, hate having to trawl through loads of information. Someone on that link mentioned IMAN health cover ... that looked liked a possibility.

Yes thats the one with austhealth I think its $50 for an interim certificate , medibank you will get stung for at least 2 months premiums as you need it for your visa , fiona only needed it for her employer in the old rules lol

right, I think I like the sound of that yorkshirepom. there is a lot on their website relating to 457 visa's and the Medicare agreement for UK citizens ... I just wish I could find the appropriate link to buy the thing. Jeez ... Im not interested in all the plans i just want to buy what i need. Have to trawl through screeds and screeds of garb before I eventually find the damn thing.

Aha ... hit apply!! Simples!

Guest guest17301

YP is right, presumably your travel insurance should cover you as long as you go register for medicare as soon as poss after you land..as I understand it are some employers still asking for private health insurance even if you are from Uk where reciprocal health agreement applies? My advice dont waste your money, wait for Mount to ask for proof and sort it when you arrive if they do...your travel ins should be enough for visa should it not?

YP is right, presumably your travel insurance should cover you as long as you go register for medicare as soon as poss after you land..as I understand it are some employers still asking for private health insurance even if you are from Uk where reciprocal health agreement applies? My advice dont waste your money, wait for Mount to ask for proof and sort it when you arrive if they do...your travel ins should be enough for visa should it not?

Hi Fiona,

I phoned and cancelled the travel insurance. My contract with Healthscope at the Mount dictates that I am required to have Health Cover or my position would be terminated... I just didnt quite understand what kind of cover. Im currently applying for the interim cover through Aus Health ... I'll see how much thats going to set me back shortly. But its only inplace until I can register for medicare when in Oz. Seems to make sense.

How did you get on with your interview?? My sponsor put me in touch with a girl who will be starting the programme with me, apparently there is 12 of us from the UK starting the programme on the 1st!!

x x x

Guest guest17301

Thats great! No word fom the Mount position! but I got the other job i applied for, with Silver Chain..doing what I did in UK so well pleased. Good luck, just cancel your insurance when you get medicare cards or you end up paying up for nothing extra than medicare covers for. I don't think some employers understand the reciprocal agreement and why would they its very complex! As long as you show a certificate of cover when you arrive they prob wont ask to see again for 12 months, don't waste your money.

Thats great! No word fom the Mount position! but I got the other job i applied for, with Silver Chain..doing what I did in UK so well pleased. Good luck, just cancel your insurance when you get medicare cards or you end up paying up for nothing extra than medicare covers for. I don't think some employers understand the reciprocal agreement and why would they its very complex! As long as you show a certificate of cover when you arrive they prob wont ask to see again for 12 months, don't waste your money.

Thats excellent Fiona. Whereabouts is your job? In the city? The healthcover i have just taken out is definately just a one off payment. Im still looking for accommodation:wacko: do you know how far out Belmont is (from the city)??

Guest greensnot
$50 one off payment for us both.

thats it? 50$ for the interim certificate? dont they ask you to choose a plan type initially at registration and charge the first months payment apart from the $50 ? please help

Archived