Free to good home 1 yr old border collie, wa

tonyman

we have a border collie called shep we simply cannot afford to take him to the uk we have looked into it and are only option is to give him away to a good home. he is a fantastic dog and great around kids he is also well trained.

i am totally gutted i cannot take him sombody please give him a good home he is fully vacinated also he will be a fantastic family pet.

we leave next week a friend who was going to take him has unfortunatly let us down at the last minute so if sombody is after a fantastic pet you have found him.

(this is my friends dog ,he is moving out of the country and all this is at short notice , ive seen the dog and he is lovely ....they are in perth WA )

Hi,

I just wanted to say (and I hope you don't think i'm rude) but please tell your friend not to advertise the 'free to good home' bit, it often attracts the wrong sort of would be home (even shelters insist on a donation remember).

Ideally if he doesnt go to someone well known by the current owner he would be better handed to a reputable rescue shelter, not sure if you have breed specific ones in perth like in the UK but a BC rescue would be best (they can be a handful of a breed and you wouldn't want him passed from home-to-home)

As a young healthy dog I'm sure he would be re-homed fairly swiftly.

The shelter will ensure that any potential home is vetted properly.

Best of luc you your friend and his/her doggy. I cannot imagine leaving a pet behind :(

Hi,

I just wanted to say (and I hope you don't think i'm rude) but please tell your friend not to advertise the 'free to good home' bit, it often attracts the wrong sort of would be home (even shelters insist on a donation remember).

Ideally if he doesnt go to someone well known by the current owner he would be better handed to a reputable rescue shelter, not sure if you have breed specific ones in perth like in the UK but a BC rescue would be best (they can be a handful of a breed and you wouldn't want him passed from home-to-home)

As a young healthy dog I'm sure he would be re-homed fairly swiftly.

The shelter will ensure that any potential home is vetted properly.

Best of luc you your friend and his/her doggy. I cannot imagine leaving a pet behind :(

thanks pal , but he is desparate , i cant as ive got real young kids ....he is moving out on wednesday and doesnt want it to go to a home ..................i will take it for a week or two if need be ........then i will advertise ........

I understand the reluctance to take it to a home but from experience (I work in animal welfare) dogs offered through the papers, internet etc usually go onto be homed and re-homed again and again sadly (people who take a dog on a whim pass it on in much the same way you see)

It's a different matter if it goes to close friends I'm sure but you've already said that's not an option.

A rescue will vet and find a good home and a young healthy dog will not be pts or stay there long.

I'm not in any way saying your friend should advertise your dog for a hefty sum....just offer it free once you have found the right home ;)

Anyone who is attracted to a free ad because they can't afford the ones at $100 probably can't afford the costs that come with dog ownership.

Lastly, try local vets and pet supplies store etc if not already done so to place your ads?

As it's a BC it would also be worth googling for any local agility clubs - likely to find plenty of collie enthusiasts who might be able to help with a good re-home or provide a temp solution.

As the dog is only 1 year old, if it came from a reputable breeder and not a store then also make contact with the breeder - they can often help re-home (and would often insist on it if they knew to be honest!)

Good luck

x

Guest guest17301

Good advice from Sarah. Unfortunately we will be in our rental for at least another year, too long for you to hold onto him I think..

basil ...are you saying once i take it on to help find a home i will struggle to find it another home..........

No I'm sure you wouldn't.

I think if you find a home in the free-ads etc there's a good chance that it'll be re-homed again and again.....which can really screw a stable dog up. Rescues generally have a better success rate of finding dogs permanent new homes.

Better your friend/you takes the time and finds the reight home :)

unfortunately our rental wont allow and stuck here till april 2010 ....we had to leave our border collie at home and it was a wrench .....just heard yesterday hes not too good :cry:...hope u find him a loving home soon

mrs keily

Hi, If we'd have managed to sell our house here in uk & got to Perth by now , I'd have had him with pleasure. I just lost my Border Collie on Fri & am devestated. Can't wait to get to Oz now so we can have another dog, house is not a home without one ! Hope he finds a loving home soon X

Being an ex-BC owner (she died age 15) I would certainly agree that they are special and need a fair bit of attention. Incredibly intelligent dogs and if you were to get a balanced one, they are superb. As has been said, if he were to end up going to several homes, the chances are that he would become a bit mixed up, so finding a permanent stable home I would say is a must with this breed. I would definately say to take it to a rescue centre until he is homed properly and not advertise it for free, in fact if anything, I think it would be kinder to euthanase him - sorry. Is it worth him going to a recue centre and he may be available to Cazz when he/she moves over. It may well make parting psycologically a bit easier. Also Cazz, perhaps knowing that there may be a suitable dog for you when you move over could make the emigration nightmare a bit easier for you and help you settle once you are there?

You shouldn't beat yourselves up as you are doing everything you possibly can, so credit to you for that.

Cazz I'm so sorry about your dog, I'm still gutted after all this time; it really is like losing a member of the family. I agree about needing one in the home (although I don't miss the walks in the rain and cleaning up after her!).

I do wish you the very best of luck.

Hi, If we'd have managed to sell our house here in uk & got to Perth by now , I'd have had him with pleasure. I just lost my Border Collie on Fri & am devestated. Can't wait to get to Oz now so we can have another dog, house is not a home without one ! Hope he finds a loving home soon X

Thanks Supa. We'd had Jake for 14 years,he was one of my babies. Infact I saw more of him than the kids!!! He followed me around like a lost sheep & was always there with a big wiggle & thrashing tail when I came down in the morning, got in from shopping or even came out of the loo!! I even miss the poop scooping. He had been an absolute treasure from the day we fetched him home. I know I'll never replace him but another dog will help to fill the hole. People that haven't had a dog in their lives don't understand, they think it's JUST a pet. They really are your family, that spend more time with you than the rest of the family does, don't answer you back & are ALWAYS happy to see you! X

Just wanted to say well done - what a huge relief for you.

:no:....jezzz...im sorry but the dog has gone back to its owners as the so called couple ...the wife took it home to hubby and he wasnt too happy with the shock , was supose to be a suprise and back fired ....so back to square one .........

• 1 month later...

Hi

I live close to Tapping, WA and wish I had joined this forum as I would have loved to adopt your dog. I do hope you found a home for him.

• 4 months later...
Guest herts1

Anyone reading this post - there is a website called www.petrescue.com.au where you can advertise pets for rehoming, fostering and adoption for both cats and dogs. There are rescue organisations all over Aus who use the site and they are always looking for help too. I have been fostering while i have been here as I couldnt commit to a permanent pet and I am returning to UK soon so will definitely get involved in fostering there too or if anyone is looking for a short term home for there pet while they try Aus out then pm me.

Archived