Migration numbers at record high

connaust

THE number of permanent and long-term migrants arriving in Australia has soared to more than 500,000 a year. Record numbers of migrants, temporary workers and overseas students are piling into the lucky country.

This is not good news for those planning to migrate, gives more excuses to anti immigrationists, "white Australia" types, hair shirted environmentalists etc. to make it even more difficult, but data is still flawed....

At least now the writer has clarified what ABS defines as migrants as, i.e. includes temporary visitors..... but like in the UK various lobbies have used the inclusion of temporary residents in population figures to alarm people, and help prop up the property market i.e. suggests future growth.....

Further, he probably does not understand that mere rumours of migration and student visa changes in 2008 caused a massive spike as many from Asia were instructed by migration and education agents to just get to Oz asap, and see if you can manage to stay.....

Nor does it explain that many true migrants may have applied between 6 - 36 months ago.....but managed to arrive this year....?

Applying the similar negative logic about overseas residents, Tourism Australia and state bodies should close down, plus the education sector should stop taking international students and forget about migrating?

Like migration, past and present changes may take students up to 2-3 years to filter through system.....but many will be having visa extensions etc. rejected already....then even more in the new year...

Guest wanderer

Well here's the article, complete with dodgy arithmetic

THE number of permanent and long-term migrants arriving in Australia has soared to more than 500,000 a year.

Record numbers of migrants, temporary workers and overseas students are piling into the lucky country.

The Bureau of Statistics reports that Australia's population growth rose to another record level in the year to June, with preliminary figures showing the country grew by 443,139 or 2.07 per cent.

Part of that came from a record crop of babies, as Australian women gave birth to more than 300,000 babies for the first time - lifting the country's fertility rate back to 1.98, almost enough to keep the population steady without any migration.

But almost two-thirds of our population growth is now coming from net overseas migration, which has trebled in just five years to a record 285,347.

On preliminary figures - which usually understate the reality - the bureau estimates that 510,564 migrants, students and long-term workers arrived here in the year to June, 15 per cent more than a year before.

But only 225,217 residents left the country to go home or migrate elsewhere, down 1.4 per cent from a year earlier, as changes to immigration policy have encouraged overseas students to stay here rather than return home.

Victoria again had the highest net migration rate outside Western Australia. Even on the preliminary figures, net overseas migration into the state jumped 36 per cent in a year, to 78,843 - compared with 20,252 just seven years earlier.

Victoria's population grew by a record 113,858 or 2.14 per cent, marginally above the national growth rate. By June 30, the state had 5.43 million people, and was on track to reach 5.5 million by February.

The latest figures include no new estimate for Melbourne's population. But if you assume its share of the state's growth remained unchanged, it probably passed 4 million in September, and is now growing by almost 2000 a week.

The federal and state governments have strongly supported the surge in immigration, arguing that it adds to Australia's skilled workforce, diversity and economic strength. Without it, the Australian economy certainly would have gone backwards in the year to June.

The immigration numbers are also a key factor in Melbourne's soaring house prices, up 15 per cent in the year to November.

In the past year:

? WA's population increase by a record 65,704, or 3.03 per cent, as Perth heads towards a city of two million people.

? Queensland increased by a record 112,908, or 2.63 per cent. Brisbane probably passed two million in August.

? NSW has surged back to the top of the population growth charts, increasing by 115,542, or 1.65 per cent, to 7.1 million.

But when I compare it with a few opening italicised paragraphs from Connaust, ie.

This is not good news for those planning to migrate, gives more excuses to anti immigrationists, "white Australia" types, hair shirted environmentalists etc. to make it even more difficult, but data is still flawed....

At least now the writer has clarified what ABS defines as migrants as, i.e. includes temporary visitors..... but like in the UK various lobbies have used the inclusion of temporary residents in population figures to alarm people, and help prop up the property market i.e. suggests future growth.....

Further, he probably does not understand that mere rumours of migration and student visa changes in 2008 caused a massive spike as many from Asia were instructed by migration and education agents to just get to Oz asap, and see if you can manage to stay.....

Nor does it explain that many true migrants may have applied between 6 - 36 months ago.....but managed to arrive this year....?

Applying the similar negative logic about overseas residents, Tourism Australia and state bodies should close down, plus the education sector should stop taking international students and forget about migrating?

hair shirted environmentalists?

Processing time always varies Andrew

As a point of discussion, not being critical mind you, but you do seem to have this penchance for dark gloomy stuff on Australia of which even your thoughts are so difficult to interpret.

Like that last para is something amazing, like is it your negative logic or one you claim the writer has?

Guest proud2beaussie

What I can't understand is why you would focus on ABS figures anyway,IMMI publishes movement data on it'e website,and I presume that those figures would be the real ones,not 'estimates" and why is ABS estimating anyway,they can just ring IMMI and ask for the movement records!(or look on the website)

Total Movements Data - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

What I can't understand is why you would focus on ABS figures anyway,IMMI publishes movement data on it'e website,and I presume that those figures would be the real ones,not 'estimates" and why is ABS estimating anyway,they can just ring IMMI and ask for the movement records!(or look on the website)

Total Movements Data - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

Is it me or have got a misplaced interpretation of posts like the thread starter !!!!

In the UK there were those who objected and complained loudly about " bloody immigrants" and "soddin bogus asylum seekers" - and were these concerned people among the group to apply for aussie visa's because.." the Uk is going down the pan, bloody Poles and Asians piling in taking everything they can for nothing".

Well those concerned folk who left the UK , became..... immigrants.

Now we have the "pull the ladder up" syndrome kicking in.

Pompous brits thinks, OK, I have my visa I am now an aussie...... bloody hell, are they really letting in more boat people and you cannot move in Sydney for all the Chinese students and jeez....did I see two Africans, things are going.......

Polititians in countries with high immigration - real or fabricated, use statistics. now has I understand it, there's hardly a politian in any country that can actually sit down and count to more than 50 without getting confused, so its a fair bet that whatever figures pour forth from him....they were supplied by some jobsworth with one eye on the pension fund.

Getting uptight about immigration figures and quoting from them as fact or fiction is pointless.

Whatever the truth behind the figures, the respective governments don't seem to be concerned enough to do much about it.

Too many Chinese students...but they PAY and keep the colleges from expecting government money to stay open.

compare and cross ref any figures you choose, its never going to affect the situation at government level, so its piontless getting uptight. IMHO !

Guest proud2beaussie

LL,I'm not making any comment on the figures at all-except that the writer of the article has used ABS 'estimates"and I don't think that is how it should be done,IMO if a department like DIAC has accurate data on immigration then there appears to be no point in an organisation like the ABS "estimating" anything-there's no need.

If anyone wants a debate on immigration they should have the best data available,and in my view that would be the department whose primary function is to coordinate arrivals and departures-in this case DIAC.ABS is great for collecting data on how many people have jobs,but if they can get accurate data from another department why not use it-that's my only point.

LL,I'm not making any comment on the figures at all-except that the writer of the article has used ABS 'estimates"and I don't think that is how it should be done,IMO if a department like DIAC has accurate data on immigration then there appears to be no point in an organisation like the ABS "estimating" anything-there's no need.

If anyone wants a debate on immigration they should have the best data available,and in my view that would be the department whose primary function is to coordinate arrivals and departures-in this case DIAC.ABS is great for collecting data on how many people have jobs,but if they can get accurate data from another department why not use it-that's my only point.

Nigel,

Sorry mate....just used your post as the reply vehicle.

My comments were and are general and not specific in a return to your post.

Thread starters about immigration figures which are or maybe a "concern" to future immigration tend to have an underlying tone about immigration.

I see no reason for concern from brits now living in Aus about what is happening in the UK and equally "concern" about immigrants into Aus from brits already here.

One fact seldom mentioned is that published fact that brits are NOT the major immigrant group coming into Australia.

Australia in its infinate wisdom - after WW2 highlighted the fact the being a distant colony was not much good if the "mother country" could not do anyting to help it..and opted to ally itself with the USA (evident in the basic infracture of the country, medicare, road systems and so on ) and Asia.

Facts and figures about immigration to any country are seldom factual no matter what the source. Although presumably only Aus immigration with its computer system and visa controls has any serious idea about the actual figures.

I just think the whole debate about immigration figures and nationalities are pointless.

And whatever the facts, no thread here will change anything.

I accept members have a right to make threads and post on whatever they chose, likewise members can post their responce and counter views if they so choose.....

L.L.

Archived