Shipping Quotes from Australia to UK for you all to see :-)

Guest UKAdam

Hi, just got some shipping quotes and thought it may be of help to some of you that are considering heading back to Blighty.

All quotes are for a 20 foot sole use container with each company providing full packing and wrapping service, door to door delivery form Gold Coast QLD Australia to Ely in Cambridgeshire. (20ft container should fit typical 3 bed house contents)

All Quotes are exclusive of insurance. most offered insurance at a premium of 3.5% of the value of the goods being shipped. (no excess to pay on claims)

However, we are going to arrange insurance ourselves through Letton Percival

Their premium is 1% of the value of goods being shipped.

(Small excess of 100 pounds on any claim)

Here are the Quotes

King & Wilson - $8,200

Overseas Packers & Shippers - $6,900

Grace Removals - $ 7,545

OSS World Wide Movers - $6,280

Suprisingly, OSS who offered the cheapest quote were by far the most infomative and profesional. We dealt with Simone Percy and Joanne Jackson, both have been extreemely communicative and responsive to all our questions. Additionally, the literature provided was very informative and helpful. Highly recommended

Hope this helps...

P.S. if you got way cheaper don't tell me, or i'll be crying for the entire flight home :-P

Guest JonnyPom

I'm looking in to this as well as I'm thinking of relocating to Sydney. Seems to me a difficult one to guage unless you know someone who has experienced the service.

I've spoken to a number of removals companies and some of them seem a bit pushy - more interested in my money than their service and some not all that knowledgable.

:mad:I've had some really bad experiences with removals companies, the worst when I was told that they couldn't do it for the original quote and tried to charge me 30% more after they'd taken my furniture (what leg did I have to stand on?) - I had to get really heavy with them and then when all my things arrived a number of items were badly damaged - try claiming on the insurance then!

As you can imagine, I am extra cautious and at the mo, I'm liking King and Wilson in Melbourne :biggrin:as they are a family run business and I've heard they provide a quality service from the sale to the delivery and don't skimp. Every time I have dealt with then they have been really knowledgeable. I've also now spoken to them a few times over the phone now and they understand and can accomodate my concerns.

Hope this helps

Guest beneboy

Hi UKAdam, we are looking to go back at the end of January and after reading your post have got in contact with OSS aswell. They have quoted $6,700, hoping to get them down on price. Can you give me the link for Letton Percival as we would like to use them for the insurance too.

I agree the people their seem really nice and competitive. Thanks for this information I'm sure alot of people who are moving back will appreciate it.

• 6 months later...
Guest TracyJohnson

Hi, we are looking at going home to the UK too, and have found these posts really useful. Has anyone now used any of these companies? If so were they ok and deliver your stuff safe and sound?

Thanks, Tracy

Guest chloew

hi

Thanks for the info - very useful! Did they give you an idea of how long it would take for the stuff to arrive? Are you taking furniture back or just personal possessions?

Cheers!

Hi UKAdam, we are looking to go back at the end of January and after reading your post have got in contact with OSS aswell. They have quoted $6,700, hoping to get them down on price. Can you give me the link for Letton Percival as we would like to use them for the insurance too.

I agree the people their seem really nice and competitive. Thanks for this information I'm sure alot of people who are moving back will appreciate it.

Hi there we have got OSS coming out on thursday but a friend of mine has also spoken with them and they have quoted over $8000!

We shall see -seems a big jump though

• 2 weeks later...

We had OSS after I saw them mentioned on this forum. The staff were incredibly helpful. The packers were calm, efficient and it was totally worth getting them to pack everything. To think I planned to pack 87 boxes myself!

I wish I'd known about the other insurance options as we did pay 3.5%, but we certainly felt we couldn't do without. I did downgrade the costs of a lot of the items though, but that's just cos we have crappy furniture maybe!

Our goods haven't arrived in the UK yet but I can track the ship online (just google the name and it will give you exact positioning! Yes, I'm a total nerd...). We have had a couple of minor hiccups but OSS kept us fully informed and were very solutions focussed.

I had quotes from three others but these guys were professional and calm. calm calm calm. very important when you have a million things to sort out with an international move.

Guest dashmilo

We arrived back in the Uk in March, It took ages for all our goods to arrive and it was awful. They had wrapped things such as a childs Croc and not an antique mirror!! All the contents of chests of draws were thrown in and around valuables and boxes labled very badly. We still are yet to find all our things and they expected us to have unpacked and tested everything in 3 days.

When we complained we really got no response and they could not care less. Even though I had told the removalists that alot of the things were important to me as they were from my parents who had recently died. They were treated with total disrespect.

We have been back and forth a few times and should have stuck with Crown:sad:and not gone with Grace removals.

• 1 month later...
Guest salsafied

Thanks for the posts guys! We have been looking at going back to the North West so have been getting various removal companies out to visit us. Kent, Chess, Grace, OSS, Movements International. Is 5 enough? Anyway, I think we have decided to go with OSS even though they where more expensive than the qutoe given on the previous thread. Their price was in the ballpark with the others and we don't necessarily always want to take the cheapest mover going - have to question why sometimes. The girls that we have dealt with from OSS so far have been fabulous and couldn't be more helpful. fingers crossed.

Thanks for the posts guys! We have been looking at going back to the North West so have been getting various removal companies out to visit us. Kent, Chess, Grace, OSS, Movements International. Is 5 enough? Anyway, I think we have decided to go with OSS even though they where more expensive than the qutoe given on the previous thread. Their price was in the ballpark with the others and we don't necessarily always want to take the cheapest mover going - have to question why sometimes. The girls that we have dealt with from OSS so far have been fabulous and couldn't be more helpful. fingers crossed.

We to are going back to the North West can`t wait!! we have had 3 shippers in so far

Ashons 7980.00

OSS 7895.00

OPS 7450.00

Have wrideways coming Friday,so far Ashtons was the better choice for us as he was really helpful and answered all our questions.I will call and try and get him to knock some money off the quote

OSS was more intrested in getting us to use his recommened money exchange company!

OPS Good but never left us with any information.

So we will wait and see what Fridays quote is, by the way it is for a 20ft full container.

Elle

Guest onwayhome

We've had a few quotes:

Australian Vanlines $7,600

Pickfords $9,900

Wybirds $8,300

These are for a sole use 20' container using their packing service to Sheffield from the Sunshine Coast.

Wybirds were recommended to us by someone who had used them but i think I will give OSS a call on Monday.

Guest jenny4nails

Hey there, we are looking into returning to the UK too, OSS sound like they are worth getting in to give us a quote.

Can anyone tell me please, are there any thing we need to consider re. what we can take into the country, or do we just do the same as when we came out here eg: disinfect bike tyres, thoroughly clean filters etc in kitchen appliances, no pine cones on xmas decorations!! Are the UK customs as strict as Australian customs.

J :cute:

Hey there, we are looking into returning to the UK too, OSS sound like they are worth getting in to give us a quote.

Can anyone tell me please, are there any thing we need to consider re. what we can take into the country, or do we just do the same as when we came out here eg: disinfect bike tyres, thoroughly clean filters etc in kitchen appliances, no pine cones on xmas decorations!! Are the UK customs as strict as Australian customs.

Hi there, prep for moving back to UK is nothing like it is to move over to Aus. We moved back here to UK just a few monthe ago, used OSS - couldnt fault them at all . We were not told to clean anything eg bikes, shoes/trainers etc, so didnt. Hubby did give the petrol mower a brush down and empty the petrol from it (bought it when we arrived), didnt take our gardining tools from UK as it was so much hassle (just being lazy on our part, couldnt be bothered with all the cleaning). However we did sneak a few bottles of Bundy into our container (movers packed it with kitchen items and just told us to play dumb if we were pulled up on it, ie packers were not supposed to pack it!!). We had no hassle with customs this end, certainly didnt look as if they had looked in any of our boxes.

Guest jenny4nails

Oooh sounds a breeze then compared to us coming over here...disinfecting the soles of our shoes...and bike tyres wasn't much fun :nah:

Thanks for your help :wink:

• 3 years later...

My husband and I moved from Scotland to Australia a few years back and used Anglo-Pacific who were EXCELLENT!!! We moved 67 cubic square feet (about 10 big boxes of items) and a guitar and golf clubs and it was 740 pounds including the insurance. We had no furniture at that stage.

They delivered boxes, packaging materials and tape for us to do it ourselves (they offered to do it but we said no) and whatever we didn't use, they took away when they came to collect the stuff.

It took 2.5 months to arrive door to door. No damages at all. Paperwork is easy and clear.

They communicated well throughout the process and were very friendly and helpful even when we changed the delivery address at last minute.

We are now moving back in 3 weeks and have gone with them again, waiting on the quote now we have some furniture to go back with us. We called the Glasgow office and the woman was again very helpful!

Gemma

We used Grace and could not have been happier. They were the only company that were happy to do a 'part' packing service - they did fragile items and we did everything else and reduce the cost quite a bit as a result (can't remember exactly but it was under $7k from Perth to Scotland) for a 20ft sole use container (& in the event it was bigger in volume than the container quoted and they were happy to ram it full so we got to take quite a bit we thought we'd have to leave behind which save us money at this end too)

The container arrived in 6 weeks!!

NOT meant to offend people who have recently moved and posted their experiences BUT this is a really old thread so prices will have changed bar the last 3 posts?

We used GRACE OZ to Spain 20ft nearly $10k incl insurance

Packers couldn't care less in OZ but Spanish this side were amazing...............door to door..............5 weeks

• 5 months later...

We went with OSS and they have been dreadful. They did our pack mid February and we are finally taking delivery this week, nearly five months to ship from Sydney to UK, Rather than the 12/13 weeks max they had promised. They also underestimated the amount of stuff, but rather than take responsibility they demanded another $1k from us after they had done the pack. Communication has been awful and they have still not responded to emails asking them why it took so long. All in all a dreadful experience. Should have stayed with Anglo pacific, who did the move out for us!

Well based on others comments We went with OSS and they have been dreadful. They did our pack mid February and we are finally taking delivery this week, nearly five months to ship from Sydney to UK, Rather than the 12/13 weeks max they had promised. They also underestimated the amount of stuff, but rather than take responsibility they demanded another $1k from us after they had done the pack. Communication has been awful and they have still not responded to emails asking them why it took so long. All in all a dreadful experience. Should have stayed with Anglo pacific, who did the move out for us!

No, they don't need to be. Australian customs are very strict because there are thousands of pests and diseases that don't exist in Australia and they want to keep it that way - there are more than enough bugs in Oz without adding foreign ones! Britain is already infected with most things so there's no point in worrying.

• 3 months later...

Hi. I'm a single girl moving back Jan for family reasons.

Grace brothers came and gave me a quote. 2,000 dollars for personal stuff.

4,000 for a sofa, bedroom set. A few shelves and 6 suitcases.

I thought this was very steep.

Can I ask this forum, what did you ship back? Fridges / washing machines etc.

and any advice for me on what to leave / sell / buy over back in uk...

Thanks kelly

Archived