Silver trowel - good, bad, worth the money?????

Guest Torrestheman

Guest craigmin

alright TTM, ST is a private TAFE so that might be why they have trade courses and others dont. Yes i am in Perth but dont know if u need qualifications for other TAFES in the perth area. I have managed to find work 20 hours a week but not in bricklaying yet but missus is struggling to find any work in her line at 20 hours per week. dont regret for 1 min coming to OZ but the student visa is a bit of a struggle financially so please do think about it very hard as its not easy mate.

cheers

Craig

Guest Migration Help
Hi Andrew

Thanks for reply. An enquiry I made direct to TAFE in Perth has replied saying no trade courses are available to international students. Can you confirm or otherwise?

Cheers

TTM

Education Training International (ETI) are the international arm of the Western Australian (W.A.) Government's Department of Training and Workforce Development.

They are offering trade courses from next year for international students.

The blurb on their website http://www.eti.wa.edu.au/ states- "Economists are anticipating that Western Australia will be entering a resources boom within the next couple of years which will result in a significant shortage of skilled labour. Students with qualifications in the following programs will certainly be graduating at the right time."

These new programs are:

Advanced Diploma of Engineering – Oil and Gas Feb and July intake 2 year course at $11,000 per year

Associate Degree in Aviation – Maintenance Engineering Feb intake 2.5 year course at $14,030 per year

Certificate III in Bricklaying and Blocklaying July intake 2 years at $14,250 per year

Certificate III in Wall and Floor Tiling July intake 2 years at $14,250 per year

Certificate III in Solid Plastering Intake pending 2 years at $14,250 per year

Diploma of Surveying – Mining and Engineering Feb intake 2 years at $11.000 per year

ETI do not state which RTO(s) will be providing these programs.

I must admit after the recent debacle in the student market, I would personally stick with ETI wherever possible if I was an international student wanting to come to WA to study. They are the international training arm of the WA government after all and thus I believe will do their utmost to ensure students are trained according to WA business needs and are not adversely disadvantaged by power plays taking place in Canberra smile.gif.

ETI are also incredibly helpful and I would urge anyone interested in studying a trade in WA to make contact with the organisation first up to discuss availability of courses, opportunities, work placement arrangements etc etc. If they do not have a course which is suitable they will not hesitate giving out information on other trusted/recognisable CRICO registered providers in WA and other states if necessary.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi TTM

If it is any help, one of the bricklaying tutors at Silver Trowel is a member of Poms in Oz. His name is Phil. He is a very nice man and he has given me his direct e-mail address and mobile phone number which I can pass on in a PM if you wish?

Phil says that he is more than happy to talk with anyone who might be considering studying bricklaying at STT.

Phil was a great help to a young PiO member a few months ago. The lad is in his mid 20s and is a friend of Jackal on here, who is also a friend of mine. The prospective student wants to study something in Perth because our mutual friend Jackal is a painter & decorator who has recently migrated to Perth. Ideally the young man would like to study Painting & Decorating but an International Student would have to go to Brisbane for that.

Phil told us that he believes that bricklaying is the most satisfying of the courses to study because he puts a lot of emphasis on hands-on, practical experience so Phil's students can start to see results promptly. (But he would say that because he teaches the subject and is passionate about watching his students make progress!) The young man and I asked about wall & floor tiling because it seemed to me that the tilers would be in the building at the same time as the painters & decorators, pretty much.

Phil has never done tiling except on a DIY level at home. He said he thinks it is more fiddly, harder to get a good looking finish and he reckons it needs more patience than bricklaying. The last I heard, the young prospective student was thinking about the STT carpentry course which was just about to start for the first time. The tutor had already been hired by STT and Phil had met him but the course itself hadn't started.

Phil told us that the great majority of his bricklaying students have never done any sort of practical work before. I got the impression that they are mainly office workers by background. Phil said that most of them have no intention of becoming career bricklayers - they enrol in the course purely in order to get PR in Oz.

Two other members who might be able to help with your research are:

Kangaroo Bruce: He is a brickie aged about 42. His contact details are here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/kangaroo-bruce.html

Bruce is a highly experienced brickie and a no nonsense type of guy. He made a rekky trip to Perth earlier this year. He is interested in the northern suburbs and did all the sensible things - eg he went and had a good look round the areas of interest to him and he went to the WA Land Registry, where he found out which areas are zoned for development, what types of developments they are zoned for and he stopped at building sites to talk with the foremen about what is actually happening on the ground out in Perth.

Bruce is friends with another brickie who has moved to Perth. His friend is doing FIFO to and from Karratha, where quite a lot of construction is happening because of Woodside's Pluto project and Gorgon is due to start work on site in Fen 2010. They are building new homes around Karratha and as the town expands (which it undoubtedly will) they will need more shopping malls, extra schools etc etc. Bruce's friend does 4 weeks up in Karratha and then has a week at home. Apparently his take home pay after all deductions is about $2,200 AUD per week.

Phil knows about the FIFO deal and Karratha. He says that the majority of Perth based tradies won't go there because they would rather work for less pay closer to home. I've heard this from several other reliable sources as well. However for tradies who want to make a fast buck, the opportunity exists.

There are also plans to build a brand new commercial port at Oakajee, just north of Geraldton. Building the port will be a major civil engineering/construction project because it will generate a need for new housing etc around Geraldton, as with Karratha. Gorgon alone is expected to need a workforce of about 10,000 just to build it and it will create about 3,000 new permanent jobs. I don't know what the workforce predictions for the port are.

I'd also recommend contacting Jackal:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/72483-wa-trades-jobs.html

Jackal is not a brickie but he is very observant and he says that there is loads of work for tradies in and around Perth. I've had a couple of long chats with him on the phone since he moved to Perth.

Jackal and I are agreed that if one wants to get on in Perth, settling in a suburb and expecting to find work in that suburb is naive. Many of them are just dormitory areas. Jackal is renting in West Leederville at present, which is close to the CBD, a ten minute drive from City Beach and a five minute walk from JB O'Reilly's, which is said to be the liveliest pub n the whole of Perth:

J.B. O'Reillys Irish Pub and Restaurant Perth Australia

Jackal is 31 and he and Julia have no children as yet. My sister Elaine is 51. She and hubby Neil live in Jandakot with their two boys aged 12 & 15. Jandakot suits Elaine because they bought a 5 acre plot there about 25 years ago. Elaine is a wannabe smallholder. She keeps her own chickens & ducks for their eggs and has an assortment of other friends, feathered and four legged. She & Neil went to investigate a much larger plot in Bindoon, which is wine growing country. They felt that Bindoon is too quiet for two strapping young sons so that plan is on "hold."

Jandakot wouldn't suit Jackal. It is not lively enough and he wouldn't find it nearly as easy to find work as he does by being based closer to the heart of Perth. He is looking around for a 3 bedroom house to rent in one of the suburbs closer to West Leederviille and hopes to buy a house in that general area within the next year or so. The prospects for him in Perth are a million times better than they would have been if he had stayed in North London suburbia instead, without doubt.

Jackal was caught out by the unexpected closure of TRA Pathway D in September 2007. To start with he was willing to risk a Student visa and was willing to consider plastering at Silver Trowel - till I interfered and told him to do the Aussie AQF III in Painting & Decorating instead. He did that in the UK and then as soon as the Minister shifted the goalposts in Jan 2009, Jackal leapt in with an application for State sponsorship from WA. He beat the rules change on 23rd September by a couple of months, which makes him one of the luckiest people on earth. He is willing to help anyone else following behind him so I'd recommend getting his phone number and questioning him.

Cheers

Gill

• 1 year later...
Guest coleraine

im currently working as a labourer in perth for a team of bricklayers and want to go the student visa route in bricklaying through silver trowel. im from ireland and at the end of my working holiday visas and really dont want to go back home .

what i want to know is if i do the bricklaying course how much will it cost per year?

can i do all my onsite training with my current boss?

how is the course broke down e.g. how many weeks in college, how many on site and how many holiday?

thanks to anyone who can answer any of these questions. i have tried contacting silver trowel today without any success. i will perhaps be able to get in touch tomorrow but im desperate to know where i stand and if financially i will be able to do it.

Guest coleraine

im currently working as a labourer in perth for a team of bricklayers and want to go the student visa route in bricklaying through silver trowel. im from ireland and at the end of my working holiday visas and really dont want to go back home .

what i want to know is if i do the bricklaying course how much will it cost per year?

can i do all my onsite training with my current boss?

how is the course broke down e.g. how many weeks in college, how many on site and how many holiday?

thanks to anyone who can answer any of these questions. i have tried contacting silver trowel today without any success. i will perhaps be able to get in touch tomorrow but im desperate to know where i stand and if financially i will be able to do it.

Hi there. Yes, we got our visas two weeks ago and is flying out on the 12th of Jan. So far i haven't heard the greatest things about work, but i thought, if there's not enough tiling work, i can always become a pen pusher in a office or get a license to drive a lorry or whatever....as long as it pays the bills.

How about you pablo?

Cheers

Hi there. Yes, we got our visas two weeks ago and is flying out on the 12th of Jan. So far i haven't heard the greatest things about work, but i thought, if there's not enough tiling work, i can always become a pen pusher in a office or get a license to drive a lorry or whatever....as long as it pays the bills.

How about you pablo?

Cheers

Still waiting for the hse to sell mate!!!!! was over in Adelaide and talking to a tiler in the pub,said there was loads of graft,that was april 09 tho,bit quieter now going on what i read on PIA tho,good luck with it Boes,and congrats on the visa!:wink:

• 9 months later...

Hai Craig, how ya been...

Btw, I am Fuzz from Singapore... I came to know of Silver Trowel early this year, and am truly interested in the tradesmen training provided by the organization. I got a few questions to ask you :

1) If happens the duration of the working hours is like 20 hours per week for a fresh bricklayer, can we

request for a longer working hours each week? Simply because 20 hours of work per week is not

enough income for a fresh trainee bricklayer like me to survive every single month.

2) Is the Silver Trowel Training Center is far from our on-the-job site training? Or is it far away from our

accommodation? If happens the on-the-job training site is far from our place will there be any form of

transportation (e.g shuttle bus or truck ) that will pick us up from our place to the training site?

3) Will the on-the-job training be located only at Perth or will I need to be relocated elsewhere?

4) You got any form of contacts in whether I can find an apartment or a place which i can rent out with

reasonable price which is near to the Silver Trowel Training Center?

5) Finally, if happens there will be no changes in the 20 working hours per week for a fresh bricklayer ? Can I possibly look out and work for another construction company to lengthen my hours per week ?

Looking forward for your reply. You can also reach me at panzzioni79@msn.com. Thanx

again Craig!

Sincerely,

Fuzz

14 April 2012

Archived