taking pets ashes with you:)

Briggy

Hi i didnt bring my pets ashes but i brought my Nana's,.

I decided to carry her in my hand luggage rather than send her with shippers and i had no problems at all. I remember reading somewhere that if your concerned carry the cremation certificate with you.

Cal x

Hi

I asked the same question last year - emailed the Australian Quarantine Service and this was the reply I received (this was at the end of 2008 so not sure what changes there may have been since then).

Hope it helps.

Kim :smile:

For Australian Quarantine Import Conditions, please refer to www.AQIS.gov.au/icon. This database lists the Quarantine conditions under which various commodities may be imported into Australia. Using the ICON search facility, enter your keywords (Human and animal remains - Cremated (ashes)) into the search box, leaving the country and end-use fields as 'all' and click "search". The database will return the results. Under this case, no permit is required provided the container used to hold the ashes must be free from contaminants such as soil.

If an AQIS Import Permit is required, or if any other specific conditions apply, ICON will specify this. The information available on ICON is the same information that AQIS clearing officers use when inspecting and clearing goods arriving into the country. I recommend that you refer to this database regularly to keep up to date with any policy changes by AQIS.

If an AQIS Import Permit is required, the application forms, fees and contact details can be obtained from the links below. Please note that assessment of applications can take a minimum 20 working days. Permits are generally valid for 2 years and can be used any number of times during this period. The permit will dictate conditions under which products may enter Australia. It is important that the importer reads and understands these conditions before importing.

Please note that your goods may also be subject to import regulations under other Australian Government authorities such as the Australian Customs Service, the Department of Environment and Heritage (eg. CITES restrictions), the Therapeutic Goods Administration, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator, or Food Standards Australia New Zealand. It is the importer's responsibility to ensure that all regulatory conditions can be met prior to import.

Regards

Barbara Whiddon

Quarantine Assessing Officer

AQIS Biological Imports Program

Animal and Plant Quarantine Branch

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service

Phone: 02 6272 4578

Fax: 02 6249 1798

Email: biologicals@aqis.gov.au

http://www.daff.gov.au - link to DAFF website

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon - link to Import Conditions database (ICON)

http://www.aqis.gov.au/importapp - permit application forms

http://www.aqis.gov.au/biologicals - AQIS biological products information

Hi

I asked the same question last year - emailed the Australian Quarantine Service and this was the reply I received (this was at the end of 2008 so not sure what changes there may have been since then).

Hope it helps.

Kim :smile:

For Australian Quarantine Import Conditions, please refer to www.AQIS.gov.au/icon. This database lists the Quarantine conditions under which various commodities may be imported into Australia. Using the ICON search facility, enter your keywords (Human and animal remains - Cremated (ashes)) into the search box, leaving the country and end-use fields as 'all' and click "search". The database will return the results. Under this case, no permit is required provided the container used to hold the ashes must be free from contaminants such as soil.

If an AQIS Import Permit is required, or if any other specific conditions apply, ICON will specify this. The information available on ICON is the same information that AQIS clearing officers use when inspecting and clearing goods arriving into the country. I recommend that you refer to this database regularly to keep up to date with any policy changes by AQIS.

If an AQIS Import Permit is required, the application forms, fees and contact details can be obtained from the links below. Please note that assessment of applications can take a minimum 20 working days. Permits are generally valid for 2 years and can be used any number of times during this period. The permit will dictate conditions under which products may enter Australia. It is important that the importer reads and understands these conditions before importing.

Please note that your goods may also be subject to import regulations under other Australian Government authorities such as the Australian Customs Service, the Department of Environment and Heritage (eg. CITES restrictions), the Therapeutic Goods Administration, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator, or Food Standards Australia New Zealand. It is the importer's responsibility to ensure that all regulatory conditions can be met prior to import.

Regards

Barbara Whiddon

Quarantine Assessing Officer

AQIS Biological Imports Program

Animal and Plant Quarantine Branch

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service

Phone: 02 6272 4578

Fax: 02 6249 1798

Email: biologicals@aqis.gov.au

http://www.daff.gov.au - link to DAFF website

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon - link to Import Conditions database (ICON)

http://www.aqis.gov.au/importapp - permit application forms

http://www.aqis.gov.au/biologicals - AQIS biological products information

Thanks for the reply hun:)

I will look into it further:)

Brig x:wubclub:

Would just like to know how many peeps have taken their pets ashes to Oz, and if you had any problems taking them:O):wubclub:

Brig x:O)tak

We brought my husbands dogs ashes back last year after a holiday in the UK. We phoned Singapore Airlines just to make sure all was ok which they said was. We carried them in our hand luggage and declared them at Customs which was fine too. Sam now sits on our chest of drawers in our bedroom with a pic of her on top.:biggrin:

We brought my husbands dogs ashes back last year after a holiday in the UK. We phoned Singapore Airlines just to make sure all was ok which they said was. We carried them in our hand luggage and declared them at Customs which was fine too. Sam now sits on our chest of drawers in our bedroom with a pic of her on top.:biggrin:

Aw bless did you need any paper work with you:)

I will do that I think cos I promissed to take Harley with us:)

Brig x:):wubclub:

We brought our boxers ashes (the Goat) back whrn we came back off holidaay to the uk,we originally left him. We went to the cremation place at Doncaster where we got a letter of confirmation,. Brought him back in my hand luggage , Mancheser Airportgot a bollokin off the guy at customs ( mild tellin off if that) apparently we should have informed the airport( thing to do) went thro singapore no problem nobody said owt , Perth waited in the declare queue bloke was not bothered , more interested in a guy next to us with asuitcase full of Alpen

You might be as well contactin the airport in England telling them of your plans ( wont get told off them lol)

Aw bless did you need any paper work with you:)

I will do that I think cos I promissed to take Harley with us:)

Brig x:):wubclub:

Yeah we had her offical ashes letter of the Pet Crematorium which was enough to bring her in.

Good luck with bringing Harley over:biggrin:

Archived