register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Tetley

Financial Planner Perth WA

Guest Tetley

I have an opportunity for someone who has previously worked as a Financial Adviser in the UK to break into the Australian Market.

Having done this 5 years ago I know how frustrating this can be.

Ideally looking for an experienced UK adviser well on their way to becoming PS 146 compliant but requiring their first exposure to the australian market place.

Please PM Keith

Guest adc78

As a general enquiry I am a UK financial adviser (Dip PFS) currently working as an IFA. I have a Australian partner and son. My son has dual nationality. I have five years experience in an advisory role.

I have been looking for an opportunity to move to Australia but have been held back by an apparent lack of opportunities.

I am not PS146 compliant although would be willing to study for them.

regards

andrew cairns

Guest chrisg8936

Hi,

I am an IFA in the UK and looking to emigrate to Australia, i have CF1,CF2,CF3,CF4,CF5, CF8, SII Securities (Stockbroker) SII Regulations qualifications and built a succesful business here. Please can you let me know whether the positon is still available and whether i can study for the Australian exams from the UK and what sort of salary i should expect

Thanks

Chris

Guest The Groms

Hi Chris, I have been here 5 months and given my 19 yrs experience can't find work and I have applied for over 80 positions to date. However, I have been told that there are positins available, so I keep applying. In respect of your question: You can do the RG146 Diploma of Financial Services - which is the minimum qualification - distance. It's a piece of cake, but perhaps a little costly.

My major hurdle has been that they require local experience and many positions are for senior planners, perhaps from a competitor firm. So, if you're interested, I'll give you a full break-down.

On the upside, We are in Sydney and this is a country of opportunity. The standard of living is extremely high and there's huge demand for all types of services and products.

All the best and let me know if I can further assist. ian

Guest Tetley

Ian, this was my experience also - your UK experience and qualifications are not seen as relevant. However there is a huge crossover in skills and products and knowledge meaning that once you have your foot in the door things can move quickly in the right direction.

I also agree with Ian that the opportunity and demand is huge.

good luck with the job search

keith

Guest Nickle

Hi Keith, I am new to this site so please bear with me! I landed in Perth a week ago and am trying to find work within a financial planning practice. My previous role was as a Business Development and Office Manager for a small boutique Chartered Financial Planning practice. Do you have any top tips or advice that may help me?

Many thanks and kind regards

Nicola

Hi, I am about to send a Family Sponsored Visa Application and saw your posting.

I am a self employed IFA in UK (5yrs Self Employed-10yrs employed) with Diploma.

I have all the forms to start taking Oz exams and would really appreciate an opportunity to get an employer sponsored Visa.

Please PM if the position is still vacant and I will attach a CV by reply.

Regards.

Martin

Guest Tetley

Rohan ill send you a PM about this thanks

Guest unders

Hi Keith,

Just wondering whether you are still looking to employ/sponsor Advisers?

I'm a IFA in the UK who will be Diploma qualified in about 6 months, I'm young (24), energetic and ambitious, I also have family and friends in Perth therefore it is my first choice city to emigrate to and will also allow me to settle quickly. I've visited a few times and absolutely love the place.

I have a few questions if you don't mind taking some time to help me:

Do the UK exams exempt you from any OZ exams?

Do you recommend a provider for the RG146 exams?

Has the changes to fees enhanced or hindered the industry?

Would be keen to discuss any opportunities, please could you email me mark.underdown@hotmail.com

Thanks Keith

Kind regards

Mark

Guest Tetley

Id just like to bump this again if there is any interest.

Hi Keith,

I've been looking for a post like this for a while!!

I've recently been granted a permanent residency visa 176 and I have my flights booked to move to Perth on the 28th December this year.

I'm 27, ambitious and currently working as a financial adviser in the UK. I am CeFA and DipFA qualified and have 3 years experience with an insurance underwriting background before that.

I know it is a few months away yet but I am just starting to look at the job market over in Perth, I am aware that most Australian companies want you to be PS 146 compliant to start with. I am happy to do this asap, I successfully completed my CeFA modules 1-4 in 4 months and my Diploma in 9 months and I am a quick learner.

Let me know if you would like to know more or any help and advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Becki

I love my new home!! :biggrin:

Guest Tetley

thanks becki i will PM you.

Guest OzFisho

Hi, I seen your comments.

I moved to Perth area in September 2009 with my wife who works in Rockingham Hospital, I still work in UK as I have my own Financial Planning Firm based in Aberdeen, I commute around every 5-6 weeks for meeting with clients and running the office

The firm is Simply Pensions Limited, Chartered Financial Planners, I am the owner. We deal mostly in Pension Transfers, switches and technical Pension investment into Property and at retirement planning. In addition we do a large number of capital Investments for clients looking for secure income.

I have got the UK Chartered Financial Planner awards and also Fellow of Personal Finance Society(Cii for Financial Planners), been in the indusry for 23 years with varied posts with banking Instututions, Life Compnanies and have been a business owner for over 15 years.

I am now looking to be based in Oz and have started at looking into the process of getting authorised here. I have joined ANZIIF and have been designated as a Fellow, due to the UK exams and the connection with the UK Chartered Insurance Institute, but now realise that means little without the basic Oz exams, RG146 etc .

I would be interested to be considered for the position you have posted as Financial Planner, what do you think, is there something we can discuss ?

Regards

Walter

Guest Tetley

thanks Walter i have sent you a PM.

Keith

Guest Shambock

Good afternoon,

I am currently in the process of being made redundant as a financial advisor in the UK. I have just finished writting the Advanced Diploma in Financial Advice which is a level 4 qualification in the UK, I have also previously completed the Financial Planning Certificate in South Africa.

I have been looking for a move to Australia but I am finding a bit daunting in terms of the qualification gap! I am hard working and willing to start anywhere to get my foot in the door and build my career.

I would really appreciate any advice with regards to looking for jobs and building a successful career. If anyone can help, please feel free to e-mail me on daniel-dupre@hotmail.com

Kind regards,

Daniel Dupré

Guest Tetley
Good afternoon,

I am currently in the process of being made redundant as a financial advisor in the UK. I have just finished writting the Advanced Diploma in Financial Advice which is a level 4 qualification in the UK, I have also previously completed the Financial Planning Certificate in South Africa.

I have been looking for a move to Australia but I am finding a bit daunting in terms of the qualification gap! I am hard working and willing to start anywhere to get my foot in the door and build my career.

I would really appreciate any advice with regards to looking for jobs and building a successful career. If anyone can help, please feel free to e-mail me on daniel-dupre@hotmail.com

Kind regards,

Daniel Dupré

Daniel, if you have completed your advanced diploma i think you will find the RG146 qualification a walk in the park. It would be my advice to look at doing this before you come over as you will be much more marketable. Companies such as PS146 and tribecca offer a simple 4 module course. Once you are over here there are one week courses that you can take to get the qualification. While your Advanced Diploma is not recognised you will find the market very similar and many of the skills you have will be very useful in australia. If you are looking at sponsorship then the big banks over here are maybe your best bet. or marry a hairdresser /chef/ nurse :biggrin: ill send you a pm with my details.

Guest Shambock

Thank you Tetley,

That advice is great for me, I am coming to Australia in the next month to visit Perth, Adelaide and Sydney to get a feel for the country before making the move. I think it will be a few months before I can make a permanent move and hopefully I can work on the Australian qualification and get a few more contacts over there in order to improve my chances of finding suitable employement. I will also work hard on finding an attractive hairdresser or nurse just to guarantee my chances:wink:.

Thank you again for all your help.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Keith. Your advice in this thread so far is invaluable. Thank you. My wife is in recruitment and has been approached by companies offering sponsorship so I've been looking into what opportunities are available for myself.

I'm a diploma qualified financial adviser currently working in bancassurance in the UK. I've been looking into obtaining the RG146 prior to coming to Australia but I find my wife's application process accelerating at quite a rate so may find it difficult to do this here in the UK. I would be very interested in any positions you may have available or even just some further, friendly, advice.

Thanks

Jon.

Guest Tetley

Shambock feel free to contact me when your in perth if you want to have a chat.

John i will PM you.

Guest Shambock

Hi Tetley,

That would be great if I could meet up with you if you have the time. I will be in Perth the first week in December. Could you please pm me

Thanks again for all your help.

Daniel

Guest johnnystrauss77

Hi, guys!!!! My wife and I are considering seeing a financial planner. I have kind of talked about this before on this site but now are actually wanting recommendations for an actual planner to visit. I am going to do some of my own research on this but wanted to see how some of my fellow fanatics have faired with their own planners.

Guest andy88

Hi Daniel,

I will be moving to sydney in feb'12 and job hunting for a 'Financial Planer' role , completed my DFS(FP) and just started with my ADFS(FP). I am from Dubai working in the financial planning industry since last 8 yrs. Do share your experence how perth is treating you in respect to job oppurtunities.

andy88

Guest andy88

Hi Keith,

I am moving to sydney in Feb'12 on PR and will be looking for oppurtunities as a financial planner. I hv completed DFS(FP) and have started on ADFS(FP). I hv 8 yrs of exp in Financial Planning in Dubai. Can you suggest how the market is and will Banks like suncorp and the big 4 be willing to hire someone who does not hv local exp?