Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


457 Visa From Government Department

Recommended Posts

I am currently looking for work in Perth (in Marketing / Public Relations). I have seen a lot of suitable jobs working for a State Government Department - eg at the Department of Land, etc.


Having looked at the Job description I can see that I meet all the criteria. HOWEVER it does say in their info pack that you must have Australian permanent residency to take up a permanent job. I don't have this! But would they sponsor me, for say 2 years so I could obtain a permentent visa in this time, and just change the contact to a two year contract? (with possible permanancy)


It also says for fixed term contracts you must have a visa that covers you for the period of the fixed term contract. Does this mean that you need to already have the visa to cover you - or that they MAY sponsor you to get the visa to cover the period of the contract.


Has anyone ever been sponsored by a government department?


I am applying anyway as I am getting despritate - the hope they will think I'm perfect and worth the effort of sponsorship - but am I waisting my time if sponsorship is against their policy?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Happy Travels


I would suggest that there is no harm in contacting the relevant employer and asking whether they would be prepared to consider a temporary contract and sponsorship for the subclass 457 visa.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt have thought so. They have been soonsoring people to do jobs that they cant find Australians for - social workers and teachers (for particular unfillable areas) spring to mind but I wouldnt think there is a dearth of Marketing and Public Relations applicants. However, you lose nothing by asking up front.


Government departments are increasingly moving into fixed term contracts rather than permanent employment - it's cheaper for them and gives them the flexibility to razor if they need to. It isnt a visa dependent thing.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now