457 Visa From Government Department

Guest HappyTravels

Guest HappyTravels

I am currently looking for work in Perth (in Marketing / Public Relations). I have seen a lot of suitable jobs working for a State Government Department - eg at the Department of Land, etc.

Having looked at the Job description I can see that I meet all the criteria. HOWEVER it does say in their info pack that you must have Australian permanent residency to take up a permanent job. I don't have this! But would they sponsor me, for say 2 years so I could obtain a permentent visa in this time, and just change the contact to a two year contract? (with possible permanancy)

It also says for fixed term contracts you must have a visa that covers you for the period of the fixed term contract. Does this mean that you need to already have the visa to cover you - or that they MAY sponsor you to get the visa to cover the period of the contract.

Has anyone ever been sponsored by a government department?

I am applying anyway as I am getting despritate - the hope they will think I'm perfect and worth the effort of sponsorship - but am I waisting my time if sponsorship is against their policy?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Happy Travels

I would suggest that there is no harm in contacting the relevant employer and asking whether they would be prepared to consider a temporary contract and sponsorship for the subclass 457 visa.

Cheers

Gill

I wouldnt have thought so. They have been soonsoring people to do jobs that they cant find Australians for - social workers and teachers (for particular unfillable areas) spring to mind but I wouldnt think there is a dearth of Marketing and Public Relations applicants. However, you lose nothing by asking up front.

Government departments are increasingly moving into fixed term contracts rather than permanent employment - it's cheaper for them and gives them the flexibility to razor if they need to. It isnt a visa dependent thing.

Archived