Middlecat

Chances of sponsorship for senior hospital pharmacist

Hi all,

My wife and I are making the move to Australia and are in the process of sorting all our details out. first step was to get my wife's skills tested. She is the main applicant and is a pharmacist. She has an exam with the Australian pharmacy council in December and will hopefully then have the skills verified which means applying in early Jan for the visa.

We are both UK citizens, and are in our 20s. She's a pharmacist and I am a business ocnsultant for the energy sector. We have already pushed our departure to Australia back 6 months due to the difficulty and red tape with getting the skills assessed from the Australian Pharmacy council but are now scheduled to arrive in Oz in December 2010. This means that there is approximately 11-12 months bewteen applying to the DIAC and arriving in Sydney/Melbourne (undecided).

My questions are:

1.) With the recent Spet 23rd news form the immigration minister, is this 2013 date for 175 visa granting realistic. On the current priority list we sit at 4 as we are CSL but do not have family, emplyer or state sponsorship.

2.) I am concerned that the visa will not be granted on time. Given that my wife's work is for a government body - NHS/Australian equivalent, how realistic is it to get an emplyer sponsorship so that we could go in as 457/121?

3.)I've heard that Australia has a lot of surplus junior pharmacists without work but is in need of senior pharmacists which fortunately works out well for us. Not sure how accurate this is though. Any information on difficulty in finding a job as a pharmacist?

4.) As mentioned above, we plan to arrive in Iz in December 2010. We will be travelling for some 3 months in Asia before hand. If necessary, will it be possible to get the 175 finalised at an embassy other than that of lodging, i.e. we will lodge the application with the DIAC in London, but could we present our passports to the DIAC/embassy in Bangkok for example?

5.) I've also heard that sites like seek.com.au etc, although very useful, only contain a low % of positions actually available. Does anyone have any further advice for health system and financial/energy sector roles?

Finally let me say a big thank you to all posters past and future of this forum. I have certainly found it to be an exceptional information resource and it has very much become my first port of call for finding out something. My rationale for making thos post is that there seems to be a shortage of information for pharmacists on here hence thought that as it has the word 'pharmacist' in the title, it may be of use as an easy reference to future pharmacists looking to migrate, with the added benefit of being personalised to our situation. Please don't think we've been lazy and are just not willing to search out this info for ourselves.

Thank in advance,

regards.

Australian Pharmacy council Skills assessment 23/12/09 - IELTS 08/10/09 - 175 online visa App - 30/12/09, CO assigned 25/2/09, meds done 12/2/09 - sent early March. Visa Granted April 4th! Whoop whoop!

Dear Middlecat,

The fact that your wife has an occupation on the critical skills list means a much shorter wait than you're anticipating, however if you're in your 20s and haven't yet used your working holiday visa rights then I would go that way, and use your time here to find a sponsor. A lot of people who are desperate to be sponsored are in fact being taken advantage of by shysters, there was another one posing as a genuine poster here yesterday, and the fact remains that 95% of jobs are filled after a face to face meeting, so being here would be an advantage - perhaps pharmacy is different but I don't think so.

Cheers,

George Lombard

George Lombard LLB(Hons) Fellow of the Migration Institute of Australia

MARN 9601056 george[at]austimmigration[dot]com[dot]au

www.austimmigration.com.au

Dear Middlecat,

In addition to confirming what George had to say I also wish to add that, once your wife has her skills assessment confirmed, if she is prepared to consider working in a non-metropolitan hospital in Victoria which is less than two hour's drive from Melbourne then I would be happy to forward her CV for consideration for employer sponsorship.

Cheers,

Les

Les Mighalls BDS LLB(Hons) LDS FACLM, MARA Reg. No. 0639714

Migration Assistance Australia

www.migrationassistance.com.au

Dear George and Les Mighalls,

Thank you ever so much for your postings.

As it is the middle of the morning here I will have to wait for a reasonable hour before discussing it with my wife. The offer from Les Mighalls is very kind - Thank you.

Might I also apologise for the horrific typos in my previous post. I'm a stickler for grammar so sorry once again!

George - I know this is the million dollar question but could you hazard a guess to s175 times for priority 4 people? I know this is a ridiculous question as we have not seen any evidence of a person in this category applying to DIAC post 23rd Sept, and being granted a visa so difficult to judge. However, I have seen on various forums that people in category 4 who applied in May/June 2009 have been given case officers post Sept 23rd and had their visa granted. Interesting one.

Is <12 months realistic?

As ever, I extend my thanks to all posters.

Regards,

MC

Australian Pharmacy council Skills assessment 23/12/09 - IELTS 08/10/09 - 175 online visa App - 30/12/09, CO assigned 25/2/09, meds done 12/2/09 - sent early March. Visa Granted April 4th! Whoop whoop!