Seniors/Pensioners concession Card

Stellathedog

Hi

Does anyone know if its possible to get a pensioners concession card while on holiday?

Seems all the touristy places that give discounts for over 65s want this concession card or seniors card before they give you anything off.

We will be at our daughters in Sydney, so would have a 'proper' address.

As we will be there for three weeks or so, it would be good to get if we could.

Thanks in advance

Pam

(Saving for a CPV)

Our seniors card states that it is for "Permanent residents" of ACT so I imagine that NSW would as well and I dont think that for 3 weeks you could be classed as a permanent resident. However, I know that my parents used their UK seniors cards quite often when they visited here - they werent always accepted but more often than not, they were.

Hi

Does anyone know if its possible to get a pensioners concession card while on holiday?

...........As we will be there for three weeks or so, it would be good to get if we could.

Thanks in advance

Pam

(Saving for a CPV)

The short answer is not.

You must have a permanent resident visa for any concession card be it state or federal.

I have an idea, why don't you go to immigration, and claim that you fear for your life in the UK since all the radical muslims that moved next door to you want to kill you and have already done so many times, (well you have to exagerate a bit right?) and so you will find scores of bleeding hearts that want to believe you and grant you refugee status. Armed with that you run to Centrelink and get a Low income card. All round time I estimate ... one week. :biglaugh:

Seriously now and just curious, can a turist get a concession card in the UK?

Guest Guest31881

There is no system in the Uk as far as I know that allows concession cards for foreign tourists.

But most holiday/tourist attractions will accept pensioner cards from other countries.

:notworthy:

The short answer is not.

You must have a permanent resident visa for any concession card be it state or federal.

I have an idea, why don't you go to immigration, and claim that you fear for your life in the UK since all the radical muslims that moved next door to you want to kill you and have already done so many times, (well you have to exagerate a bit right?) and so you will find scores of bleeding hearts that want to believe you and grant you refugee status. Armed with that you run to Centrelink and get a Low income card. All round time I estimate ... one week. :biglaugh:

Thanks Marco1

So I won't have to buy a boat then??

You did make me laugh! Sad thing is, there's a smack of truth in there somewhere......

Like srp said, we do accept proof of age over here to get the discounts to tourist places. As a tourist probably got passport with you most of the time?

Also your government is going to have enough of our money paying for 2 cpv's, so surely a little discount won't hurt them??

Thanks Pam

The answer is no they can't. My inlaws arrive next week for a 3 month visit. They are nearly 80 and both disabled but they still have to pay full fare on public transport and for getting into attractions etc. I don't think it would hurt for places to allow them in as a senior citizen but in past experience few will and they are to honest and scared of getting caught to buy connession rate tickets without a concession card. With the exchange rate this bad though it does make it a lot more expensive for them to get around etc. They are pensioners no matter where they come from, in the UK they wouldn't need a card to prove that.

Hi

Before we became permanent residents and qualified for the concession cards, whenever we went to an attraction(Australia Zoo, Philip Island penguins for instance), we just asked for concession rates. Even on trains in Melbourne we ued to ask for concession rate and were never refused.

I'd suggest that they just ask for the lower rate,you've nothing to lose.

Good luck

Mike

When we have had visitors, I usually get the tickets, show my seniors card and say 4 old farts please, they have never questioned this.

On a trip to Sydney a few months ago with visitors, I did this, we had 3 ferry rides, one being the Manly return, return train tickets from Sutherland, and the train from Circular Quay to Central, it worked out to $1-50 each for the day.

Unfortunately you have to be a citizen or permanent resident, 60 plus to get the seniors card, so try and find a friend with one already.

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Mike and Skippy

I think we will just 'ask nicely' and see what happens.

Really appreciate all the replies, many thanks to all.

When we return in February I'll let you know what happened.

Cheers Pam

Shame Pam because the Reverend Sunshine isnt arriving until June, he could have slipped you a few cards for a small fee:wink:

Guest siamsusie
Does he have any friends that will be there in January?????? He he he...

Maybe I shouldn't ask seeing your 'motto', I should be giving to your friends, not asking of them.....

Not that it will stop me asking for the concession when I get there!

Thanks SSusie, cheers Pam

I think the old Reverend has his fingers in many pies Pam:skeptical: and dont be afraid to ask for a concession, what you never ask for you dont get! My OH's family get them 24/7 without a card usually, start practicing the aussie twang:wubclub: ss x

Guest guest33730
Shame Pam because the Reverend Sunshine isnt arriving until June, he could have slipped you a few cards for a small fee:wink:

Mmmmmm I am short of Miracles at the moment, Seeing as I just used it up getting my visa!! - I am now working on the 'water into wine' one, figure it may come in handy in the Barossa although from what I'm hearing I think they may need me to turn the wine in water with the drought that's forecast!!

Daniel

• 3 years later...
Hi

we ued to ask for concession rate and were never refused.

I'd suggest that they just ask for the lower rate,you've nothing to lose.

You clearly had more luck than we did when my Mum came out to visit us earlier this year. She is 74, and we always asked, and were often refused because she hadn't got the appropriate seniors card. I was actually pretty disappointed with Australai about this - in reverse a 74 year old Australian granny visiting her rellies in the UK would surely have got concessions without question. One of the above posters also mentioned using a 'UK seniors card', and I've also seen mention of 'international seniors cards'. Anybody got any advice on which UK documents are likely to have some traction in changing the attitudes of the stony faced refuseniks at various visitor attractions when my 79 year old mother in law arrives in December?

And I'm sorry marco1, but on the basis that the standard you walk past is the standard you accept, I don't find you funny, just offensive, prejudiced and borderline racist.

Often places just ask 'Senior?' and it is not a lie to say 'Yes'. Other places ask for the card- just depends.

Yes, some places were willing to accept that age was sufficient, and we asked for 'Senior' we got senior. And PTV were prepared to be flexible and issue a Seniors myki card. But others asked for the Card, and then refused the concession.

Archived