Guest alanmcguire

16 yr old daughter, educational options?

Guest alanmcguire

Hi I'm Alan's wife Sam. We are moving to Perth in Jan 2010. We are staying with family when we first arrive so we're able to suss out areas to live and schools. We have Katie 16, Alex 14, and Ben 4. Our daughter has just finished her GSCE's here and we are wondering would anybody be able to help with solving my questions? Will she be able to go back to school in Perth and if so what year would she go in to? Can she start an apprenticeship at a college, maybe hairdressing? She quite likes the idea of going back to school and carrying on with her education but not sure if thats possible? If anyone else is in the same situation I would love to hear from you.

Sam McGuire

Guest annep

Hi

we're off to victoria next year and our daughter will be 16 and will have just finished school.

As far as i'm aware, she will be able to do two more years at school over there, one option being a sort of day release to gain a hair and beauty certificate. Apprenticeships are available but apparently really sought after with hundreds going for one job. We personally feel school will be the best option if only for her to meet new friends.

The only concern may be that your daughter could be a year older than her classmates, as, if i remember rightly she would have to do yr 11 and 12.

good luck

anne

Guest annep

sorry, just noticed you're going in jan, that would be ideal as it is the start of their new year and she will not be older than the others, I presume everyone is going the same time as us !

Anne

It would be in her best interests to enrol in year 11 and do years 11 and 12 and end up with a year 12 certificate which is becoming increasingly necessary these days. She may be able to do an in school apprenticeship - there is a national initiative to engage kids who may be moving into trades to begin their apprenticeship while at school.

Even if she isnt going to go on to tertiary studies, it is still worthwhile ensuring that she gets her year 12 cert and that means the full 2 year course.

Guest wanderer

I agree with others that at 16 you ought to be encouraging your daughter to go on and at least attempt years 11 & 12 and successful completion will certainly provide her with many more options that another two years of education could have her thinking of.

I'm not sure about the opportunity to start an apprenticeship in years 11 & 12 though they may have more practical streams as well as academic for students who are set on university.

Nearly seems as though the education wheel is wanting to do another revolution for we did in the not too distant past have technical schools which at one stage were boys only and where all the lads went that were considered good only for for doing trades in the future and it was a great set up that worked fine, especially when they extended it for some said lads to study engineering and the like at technical colleges.

And then along come the educational theorists to decide things have to be different and what has been working gets stuffed up with university degree courses being developed for just about everything and now every child in school shall be provided with a computer type stuff and they wonder why the standard of the three Rs has tumbled.

Guest alanmcguire

Thanks for that information its a great help, she will be over the moon that she is able to go back to school as are we.