Are 175s dead in the water?

mr luvpants

I have been reading on here about all the 175 visas that are being processed and to be honest I am confused! My wife is a Nurse and we would prefer to apply for a 175 as it would give us more flexibility but there is no mention of a 175 visa in the list of priorities which were brought out on the 23 September:

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS

2. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and

whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)

3. applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated

occupation is listed on the CSL

4. applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose

nominated occupation is listed on the CSL

5. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government whose

nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations

in Demand List (MODL)

and

(ii) applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated

occupation is not listed on the CSL.

I had always assumed that 175s were classed in priority 7:

7. all other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

We have applied for state sponsorship and were waiting till January 2010 which is when my wife has completed a year as a nurse and then we were going to apply for a 176. And bearing in mind the new list of priorities I thought that applying for a 175 was a waste of time. So am I wrong?

JOHN

Guest alina171

Hi John,

I think you got it wrong. Actually 175 who are on CSL are processed as priority 4, and from what I can see they're flying fast at the moment.

I've received a SS apptoval from WA and now waiting for a CO, but I think that eventually the 176 wouldn't make much of a difference for me, since I see that June applicants (175) are being processed these days..

Guest patience

4th on the list

Q10 How long will it take for my application to be finalised if my nominated occupation is on the CSL?

If you have applied for an onshore or offshore GSM visa and your nominated occupation is on the CSL, it is estimated that your application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date.

We were wanting to go for this visa as it seemed safer, as in a SS visa, if you loose your job I believe you have to leave the country in 28 days and also, then to apply for PR doesn't seem straight forward. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know what to do, or rather which visa to apply for at the moment, serveral factors to consider.

Guest SineadMurphy

Hi guys,

Im sending off for my skills to be assessed by the ANMC next week and planning on sending in for WA SS after this. Just wondering do many people apply for their 176 at the same time or is it better to wait for the result of the SS and send that in at the same time as the visa application. John im in the same position as you and lisa as will only be in my job as a nurse 1 yr nxt month.

Thanks

Guest guest17301

Sinead you'd probably be better off just submitting a 175 and forget SS, with the new priority processing and the 4 month wait for SS you'll probably get your visa before your SS.

Guest alina171
Hi guys,

Im sending off for my skills to be assessed by the ANMC next week and planning on sending in for WA SS after this. Just wondering do many people apply for their 176 at the same time or is it better to wait for the result of the SS and send that in at the same time as the visa application. John im in the same position as you and lisa as will only be in my job as a nurse 1 yr nxt month.

Thanks

If your on CSL I would suggest to apply for 175/176 at the same time you lodge your application with WA. We did it that way. You should consider to do so because the processing time of SS tend to be long. When we applied we we're advised that the waiting time is about 3 months. Eventually it took a little 4 months, and I heard of some cases when people got their visa (when applying for 175) even before they got a SS...

Good luck to you!!:wubclub:

If your on CSL I would suggest to apply for 175/176 at the same time you lodge your application with WA. We did it that way. You should consider to do so because the processing time of SS tend to be long. When we applied we we're advised that the waiting time is about 3 months. Eventually it took a little 4 months, and I heard of some cases when people got their visa (when applying for 175) even before they got a SS...

Good luck to you!!:wubclub:

Agree with Alina, I got the 175 before the 176 QLD SS was approved, (it still is not) so I would get the 175 application in now as it cannot hurt, also you will be changed over to a 176 when the SS comes through, and the way they are processing them at the moment it might not take too long at all if you frontload the meds/pcc now as well.

Guest VickyMel
We have applied for state sponsorship and were waiting till January 2010 which is when my wife has completed a year as a nurse and then we were going to apply for a 176. And bearing in mind the new list of priorities I thought that applying for a 175 was a waste of time. So am I wrong?

Seems to me that you will be on the CSL with Mrs Luvpants being a nurse?

Would (I don't know) straight 175 without CSL be priority 6?

Agree with Alina, I got the 175 before the 176 QLD SS was approved, (it still is not) so I would get the 175 application in now as it cannot hurt, also you will be changed over to a 176 when the SS comes through, and the way they are processing them at the moment it might not take too long at all if you frontload the meds/pcc now as well.

Maybe keep an eye on it and take a look to see whether the 176 are being processed faster than 175 when you get to the stage when you are applying - as Manix & Alina point out at the moment priority 2 & 4 seem to be pretty close in allocating COs and Visas - although that may be because of the recent switch in priorities???

See this link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/71250-priority-processing-groups-1-4-where-u-now-22.html#post616048

where people in Sept in priorities 2 & 4 are both being allocated Visas at the moment

VickyMel

Guest SineadMurphy

So you reckon apply for the 175 at the same time as the SS and then switch to 176 if the SS comes in sooner than expected ?? This prob wont be till feb as will be that long befor skills assessment comes back??? x

4th on the list

We were wanting to go for this visa as it seemed safer, as in a SS visa, if you loose your job I believe you have to leave the country in 28 days and also, then to apply for PR doesn't seem straight forward. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know what to do, or rather which visa to apply for at the moment, serveral factors to consider.

AFAICT, the SS 176 visa is actually pretty much exactly the same as the 175, except it's processed faster and you commit to stay living in the sponsoring state for 2 years.

The 457 - employer sponsored - is the one that means you need to leave after 28 days if you lose your job.

This is exactly the reason I'm not going employer-sponsored, but have applied for both a 175 and SS, so that if the SS comes through I can change to 176. I know which city I want to live in but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of having to leave again if I lose my job.

Archived