Guest pixie135

ARTC Ground engineer (Airframe)

Guest pixie135

Hi

My husband has had a email saying he has to have a technical interview, which will cover theoretical and pratical questions. Please does anybody know what kind of Questions he will get for Ground engineer (Airframe).

Thanks any help would be appreciated

Guest pixie135

Is there anybody out there who has any Idea what kind of Questions they will ask???? As he has his telephone Interview end of week. Helpppppp

Guest wanderer

Is the interview with an employer by phone Pixie?

I recall that he had been assessed as Aircraft Engineer Mechanical and he was looking at adding the airframe rating too or have I got it around the wrong way.

Anyway, whatever it is and if its airframe he is being questioned on, not that I have airframe experience other than hoping the wings stay on when I'm airborne [have done a light aircraft pilots licence] but having been a mechanical engineer, I'd imagine airframes do vary somewhat but also have in common the safety aspects that hub would know a lot more about than I.

Off the top of my head and applying my own engineering knowledge , I'd say he ought to make himself up an airframe theory refresher list as if he was prpearing for an exam as he may have done when learning his craft and I'd be surprised if it did not cover stuff like

. Element fatique

. stress point cracking

. Non destructive testing, being Xray, Ultrasonics, Dye and Ultraviolet light crack examination techniques.

. The art of rivetting

. General Metallurgy and Welding

. Structural members opening compensation design

[that's where you have service lines [hydraulics/fuel and wiring] run through key memembers but more something in the designers arena than the maintenance engineers, but they need tio be aware of that kind of stuff in checking for proper fixing/routing and they are also an area where stresses can concentrate, hence the compensation and that's why you can have like a ring welded around a hole - he'll know what I'm talking about].

I've run out of my own general engineering knowledge that I might apply to airframe but if there's special loading procedures to test for frame flex/deflection, that'll of course be worth thinking about.

. And then there's all the hardware fitting, undercarriage and landing placing a huge load on fuselages, quite the opposite of what they are under in flight [sort of - different anyway] and so you've got undercarriage, mounting of engine pods to wings and the wings to fuselage that are main heavy load areas.

. In addition to that there's the like of cargo doors and even on board pressure cylinders that have been the cause of some inflight mishaps on some Qantas planes of late, disasters averted thankfully, but both incidents and follow-up investigations are the nature of events that have manufacturers doing design mods to locking mechanisms.

. So that would get you into the general area of if as an engineer he was working independently, how do you keep up with Mod notices, making sure procedures are followed and as simple as maintaining the planes registration with manufacturers up to date - records of aircraft essential to ensuring reliability and safety etc.

. Obviously, knowledge of the close tolerance engineering standards for aircraft is paramount and the ability to have a "What if" sequential event mind would be more than handy as would a personal constitution to wilt under an operational demand.

Hope that helps.

Hi, My hubby is an aircraft maintenance engineer ( mechanical & airframes) but he just had to go through the TRA & didn't have an interview, so can't really help. Is it through the TRA or an employer that he is having the interview for? X

TRA -PASSED, State Sponsorship -PASSED, 176 Visa Lodged 14th Oct, 08, Got CO 17th March 09. VISA GRANTED 21st May, 09 , Ye HAAA!!!!

Heading to Perth , Made the move 26th May, 10:notworthy:

Guest pixie135
Hi, My hubby is an aircraft maintenance engineer ( mechanical & airframes) but he just had to go through the TRA & didn't have an interview, so can't really help. Is it through the TRA or an employer that he is having the interview for? X

Hiya,

Thank you wanderer for you help it is much appreciated. My husband is having his telephone interview by the TRA. For him to work on Aircraft he has to have a ARTC certificate. ARTC means Australian recognition trades certificate I think. If he new what kind of questions they are likely to ask it would be a great help. I have noticed somebody has given a idea what kind of Questions would be asked for a electrician. So I was hoping someone would have done the Ground engineer telephone Interview.

Guest wanderer

pixie,

My husband is having his telephone interview by the TRA. For him to work on Aircraft he has to have a ARTC certificate. ARTC means Australian recognition trades certificate I think. If he new what kind of questions they are likely to ask it would be a great help.

On one hand I'm a bit surprised that TRA are doing a phone interview for I would not expect them to have someone on board with aircraft engineering experience as it is not all that common. It could be that they are just attempting to do some checking re different applications because TRA/Vetassess and the general assessment process are under the spotlight at the moment because of false claims mainly concerning asian/indian students and dodgy colleges that have been set up more or less to promote/create easy pathways to Permanent Residency.

I'd also noy be surprised if the person who rings has bugger all idea about airframes and may merely be looking for confirmation of your hub wanting the additional classification.

If he has done an apprenticeship and has good experience, I'd not expect him to have any real difficulty with the interview by TRA.

Guest pixie135
pixie,

On one hand I'm a bit surprised that TRA are doing a phone interview for I would not expect them to have someone on board with aircraft engineering experience as it is not all that common. It could be that they are just attempting to do some checking re different applications because TRA/Vetassess and the general assessment process are under the spotlight at the moment because of false claims mainly concerning asian/indian students and dodgy colleges that have been set up more or less to promote/create easy pathways to Permanent Residency.

I'd also noy be surprised if the person who rings has bugger all idea about airframes and may merely be looking for confirmation of your hub wanting the additional classification.

If he has done an apprenticeship and has good experience, I'd not expect him to have any real difficulty with the interview by TRA.

Thanx for your reply, hope your right and they just want to make sure he is who he says he is. We are looking for a ARTC cos my hubby didn't serve his time as a aircraft fitter but has worked for this industry for the last 15 years. We gave them references off company , Authorisation to work on aircraft, courses by the company and a 7 page stat dec and still it's not enough so this is why he has to do a telephone interview. The person emailed to say the interview would last 45 mins to an hour. We are lucky that we have our visa but we don't really want to go out there if he cant get any work.

Guest wanderer

Hi again Pixie,

Thanx for your reply, hope your right and they just want to make sure he is who he says he is. We are looking for a ARTC cos my hubby didn't serve his time as a aircraft fitter but has worked for this industry for the last 15 years. We gave them references off company , Authorisation to work on aircraft, courses by the company and a 7 page stat dec and still it's not enough so this is why he has to do a telephone interview. The person emailed to say the interview would last 45 mins to an hour. We are lucky that we have our visa but we don't really want to go out there if he cant get any work.

Other than TRA doing checks, I'd even make contact with different aircraft companies in Australia re work options [could be a bit slow at moment with downturns in everything] as especially for airframe, like he has authorisations now, it'll be licensing here as we call it and actually, in just doing a search, might be best to get familiar with CASA requirements - http://www.casa.gov.au/ame/guide/careerguide.pdf