skin damage

johnd

one good reason to move back to the uk is to stop your skin being damaged by the sun. using sun block or not people here 90% of the time look at least 5+ years older than they are, sometimes worse. i had a friend i was working with last year, keen offshore fisherman, who in the conversation said,"you know that bloke he's our age", i thought , excuse me?, i was 39 at the time and had this fellow down as being 50 at least. turns out he was 44, i thought well thats the sun for you!. anyone else noticed this?, also how many aussies smoke!, absoutley loads here!!, that combined with a real dental problem and bad diet....fast food!, makes me think i'm living in a blue collar nightmare, (not everyone is like this but a lot of people are). i am a blue collar person myself but if i compare these things with the uk , ( i know im not in the uk!), person for person it seems peoples attitude to health/food/smoking etc is 20 years behind uk. footnote....didnt oz get the unhappy title of the fattest nation on earth?, if it did beating the yanks is some going....sort of blows the bronzed aussie god myth out of the water.......just my observations...i'm not having a go...honest!

Guest tlander56
one good reason to move back to the uk is to stop your skin being damaged by the sun. using sun block or not people here 90% of the time look at least 5+ years older than they are, sometimes worse. i had a friend i was working with last year, keen offshore fisherman, who in the conversation said,"you know that bloke he's our age", i thought , excuse me?, i was 39 at the time and had this fellow down as being 50 at least. turns out he was 44, i thought well thats the sun for you!. anyone else noticed this?, also how many aussies smoke!, absoutley loads here!!, that combined with a real dental problem and bad diet....fast food!, makes me think i'm living in a blue collar nightmare, (not everyone is like this but a lot of people are). i am a blue collar person myself but if i compare these things with the uk , ( i know im not in the uk!), person for person it seems peoples attitude to health/food/smoking etc is 20 years behind uk. footnote....didnt oz get the unhappy title of the fattest nation on earth?, if it did beating the yanks is some going....sort of blows the bronzed aussie god myth out of the water.......just my observations...i'm not having a go...honest!

Interesting article in the November issue of 'Brisbanes Child' titled Dark Side of the Sun...

Talks about the dangers of sun exposure...and the equal dangers of the use of sunscreen......scary read :frown:

Guest siamsusie
There is no doubt about it John sun crucifies the skin., as do the elements. I have been witness to so many europeans with skin like leather in Asia and on the continent, and Australians of a certain age group have fallen party to "brown means beautiful". Luckily the younger generation are now aware of this and take precautions. Sun beds are the curse of europe John! it is a huge problem I am afraid. Smoking I havent noticed to be honest. Australians smoke, Poms smoke, French smoke. Smoking still enjoys a large revenue for the British government despite increases of taxes, insurances, health warnings and bar banning the habit altogether I think it will always exist. Obesity exists everywhere and I dont opt for opinion polls myself really, its world endemic. Personally I feel if town and country planners were ordered to build shopping centres within housing developments instead of having the B&Q's Tesco, Asda, miles away on commercial developments this might just encourage the word "exercise", leaving the car at home! and improving social structure. Diet I am not going into which nation in the UK enjoys the most disgusting diet, but I have seen the most appaulling " heart attack " diets in existance and this goes for their oral hygiene as well! Tomb stones in peoples mouths in 2009/2010 are a common occurance also in the UK and any government that doesnt make dentistry freely available at reasonable costs in either Australia or the UK should be shot.To be honest I think the UK government are taking money under false pretensions when it comes to NI. Dentistry should goes hand in hand with medical care! After all in the UK you are paying mega bucks in your NI every month! Trying to find an NHS dentist is a feat in itself in many areas. Nothing is free absolutely nothing! Fast Food exists everywhere, a nice treat once in a while, but believe me the UK fast food shops thrive (I speak for London & Scotland)and they are not immune from school kids queuing up for their lunches/suppers on a regular basis either!

On the whole for me I find Australians are more conscious of their diets and health but thats only my opinion. Best wishes ss x:wubclub:

susie my opinions/observations are based on what i have witnessed life for life ,ie, i am a rugby union player employed in the welding industry, so i am comparing rugby and steel fabrication and all the people in it. the most fascinating experience for me was the way 75% of the blokes i worked with on my last long contract in oz, regularly, every day in fact, chomped down on burgers pies, pizza, etc,etc, then dipped out for a 'lunger'. if you compare that with your average large fabrication workplace in northern uk, a lot more people bring fruit to work and other healthy alternatives and smokers are under 50% of the workforce. also here in oz if you ,whilst welding, always wear a resiprator/mask, you are aften called a 'fag' or other nonsense, as if it is 'macho' to breathe in welding fumes. whilst this situation in the uk exists, the oz attitude is like something from the '80's. most welders/steelworkers in the uk are very aware of the dangers in fumes and particles and even the uk is far behind the likes of norway in this area. my last job in the uk we were trialing 'air-fed' welding screens to be made compulsory for all welders, here in oz you are lucky to get a paper mask!!!, well that was the situation at my last place and they are a big oz company.:)

i do agree with John sort of , i know aussies a similar age to me and they look much older (not that im any oil painting like,lol) and it does make you think,OMG will my kids be like that when they are older,, but as with anything theres pros and cons of living in any country. To me its the person inside who matters not how many wrinkles they have.

Cal x

i do agree with John sort of , i know aussies a similar age to me and they look much older (not that im any oil painting like,lol) and it does make you think,OMG will my kids be like that when they are older,, but as with anything theres pros and cons of living in any country. To me its the person inside who matters not how many wrinkles they have.

Cal x

I only said that to oh the other day, is it the same witha black eye then:shocked:

Guest sooveroz

agreed - the risk from the sun is huge and i think the dangers of the chemicals in sunscreen will be the next big health scare. I long to send the kids to school without drenching them in chemicals. as well as the daily soak in sunscreen, mine also need sprayed head to foot in Aeroguard as they get bitten to bits by gnats and fleas in the classroom. we have this routine where they take a deep breath, get sprayed from head to toe, then run away from the mist before they breathe again.

i personally would disagree on the smoking thing though. where we are, 99% of the smokers are asians and POMS. the kids hanging round the shopping centres all puffing away are POM kids. same down the beach - most of the smokers are either Uk or mairo types. but agree their diet is generally sh*t.

Guest guest17301

Oh well, could always return to the UK for a dose of 'acid' rain. Here in 'country' WA a lot of folks drink their untreated rainwater. Could that and does that happen in the UK????

I'll take my chances with the sun. BTW the latest life expectancy rates in the local paper looked good to me...84 for a WA woman..

Oh well, could always return to the UK for a dose of 'acid' rain. Here in 'country' WA a lot of folks drink their untreated rainwater. Could that and does that happen in the UK????

I'll take my chances with the sun. BTW the latest life expectancy rates in the local paper looked good to me...84 for a WA woman..

OH **** best cancel Nics insurance policy then

Guest siamsusie

My epidermis is quite remarkable actually, this is due to Possum's Pee in me rain tank water in Tassie, leaving a total pusular free skin ss x

Guest guest17301
My epidermis is quite remarkable actually, this is due to Possum's Pee in me rain tank water in Tassie, leaving a total pusular free skin ss x

Yeah but do you drink it SS???

Guest guest17301
Sure do otherwise I would go thirsty. Seriously its the best water I have ever tasted Fiona. ss

That's what some of my patients say...I have to say it's a foreign concept for me, could you do that in the UK??

Guest siamsusie

That's what some of my patients say...I have to say it's a foreign concept for me, could you do that in the UK??
Fiona, to be frank I dont know how much Possum urine runs into the water tank. The Possums do climb onto the roof which is where we collect the rain water from. We do test the water from time to time and its pure as...... I do in all seriousness notice the difference and its gorgeous to drink the fresh rain water. Here up north the water smells of bleach, most unpleasant but hey its water and every drop wherever I am is appreciated:wubclub: ss

Guest Mucky Waters

I think it is only us poms that really need educating...take a holiday to Spain Portugal etc and you will rarely sell the locals in shorts or hats and you will see that the locals of these countries are quite pale in comparison to us Brits who strip off every chance we get, I would advise people going to Australia to just be sensible.

Skin cancer is a big concern in Australia and there is plenty of advice available when you get there.

Guest Magnetic6

Hi and welcome to PIO!

What an apt username you have Mucky Waters in view of Siamsusie and fiona's previous posts!!:biglaugh:

Natalie x

Guest siamsusie
Hi and welcome to PIO!

What an apt username you have Mucky Waters in view of Siamsusie and fiona's previous posts!!

Natalie x

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Khadine

Very interesting post...

I work for an international company who deals with Cosmetics and know for a fact that last years national figures for skin cancer was one of the highest by far here in Australia. Unfortunately, due to the TGA's legislation - governing body for medical and cosmetic supplies, there are still a great myths regarding sun protection. As we are the closest country to the 'Ozone Layer' the protection has to be far higher and of a different standard. All sunscreen that is imported has to be tested, rated and measured for suitability for this climate, and then the company have to pay millions of dollars to allow the product in. So most sunscreens are made here. What i have found is that most travellers are bring their 'unsuitable SPF20 sunscreen' with them and wondering why they are getting so burnt! to our standards that would barely cover a SPF factor 10. I do believe the mentality is that a good portion of Australians have done it hard in the elements whether it has been on a farm, mining, vineyards etc, that they are past caring. My Husband who is Australian and the same age as me 34, has already had a melanoma cut out from the side of his face, due to being in the Navy on a surface vessel, living on a farm and being a surf dude in his younger years. What hope did he have! If sunscreen was a tax deduction for all of us i think people would be more incline to use it, i know it is GST free, but it can still be quite costly for everyday use. There are some very good natural sunscreens on the market at the moment which are formulated from mineral components, which means that they do not build up in your system, they just work with your bodies natural defence mechanisms to fight off the environment.

My best advise to everyone i meet is; wear SPF30+ everyday, and eat lots of blueberries - natures superfood!

Most Australians that i meet though are very aware of the suns damaging effects because they are the ones who are suffering now.

Guest siamsusie

Yep! been here just under 4yrs and already had a patch of skin frozen off!! always extra careful now, it's this HEAT!!!! (yes I know it's OZ) I just can't handle, do you ever get used to it me thinks!!!!
I have to say I am impressed with the free skin cancer trailors up north, your skin is checked constantly, great service. I find I get used to the heat, I just acclimatise myself, take it easier during the day, do most of my work in the evenings, frequent cool showers, fresh lemonades etc. its 46 out there now and I just go with the flow:idea:. best wishes :wubclub: ss x

Guest sh7t man no way

you have to be very carefull with the sun in aus,or anywhere--because the aus way of life is outdoors it gives the sun more chance to do its worse. a generation ago we did not know how bad the affects of the sun would be,and a lot of peaple are paying the price for it now.i myself get checked every 6 months,which i would recomend to anyone living in aus. now its slip-slop-slap in aus with 30 sfc--- most peaple want to look healthy,and tanned- but at what price.

Guest siamsusie

you have to be very carefull with the sun in aus,or anywhere--because the aus way of life is outdoors it gives the sun more chance to do its worse. a generation ago we did not know how bad the affects of the sun would be,and a lot of peaple are paying the price for it now.i myself get checked every 6 months,which i would recomend to anyone living in aus. now its slip-slop-slap in aus with 30 sfc--- most peaple want to look healthy,and tanned- but at what price.
Got ya:laugh: so do you go and get yourself checked out sh:jiggy:tman ss x

Guest sh7t man no way
Got ya:laugh: so do you go and get yourself checked out sh:jiggy:tman ss x

cant fool you siamsusie your just to good xxx

Archived