Anyone taken up the house and land package at Paccy Pines.

Guest J-inOz

Hi, we are moving up to Queensland from adelaide early next year.

We initially wanted to move to Helensvale as we like the area. Unfortunately not a lot of houses are coming up in our price range and if they do, they are selling like hot cakes.

So, we thought (after first ruling it out) we might live in Pacific Pines. The house and land packages don't look bad, if that is all you have to pay.

Has anyone taken on these packages and not had to pay out anymore than it states and did it run smoothly (as best as it can)?

We didn't have a chance to look around the display village when we were there because by the time we decided to give Pacific Pines another thought, it was time to come home.

Thank you.

Guest jam jar

hi J-inOz

sorry, cant help with the house and land packages question,

but just wanted to say, we moved from adelaide to queensland, about 14 months ago, and moved to pacific pines (still renting at the mo),

but it was the best move we ever made, (really couldnt wait to leave adelaide:arghh:)

we enjoy living on pac pines and are looking to buy around here

whereabouts in adelaide do you live?

good luck with the move

joanna

On our reccie last year we spent a lot of time in the Show homes. We always asked what was the price of the show house as it stood. This always was a lot higher than the brochure price. The brochure price is for the basics. It all depends on what extras you want.

JOHN

Houses are sold as display spec, or as brochure spec, you go to what they call prestart, pick everything you want bricks ,tiles ,floor tiles, paint, down to the door handles. We went eith keystart for the mortgage (govt one ) the main stipulation the house must be complete down to the carpets ,painted walls etc. basic build cost bout 195 k , then upgrades around 20k ,but there are changes , they credit you(not often) for items that are cheaper or did not require doing . We originally liked a certain display house at display spec but it was a bit dear, after we signed up for another style found out the display house was being offered with 2 more smaller sizes one being in with budget:mad:

Mally

Hello Joanne, we live in Hallett Cove. I do like the area, but adelaide has never been for us and we have only just started pulling our finger out to get moving. The house will be going on the market in the next month. We just love it in Queensland.

Where did you live Joanne?

Sorry about all these questions, but who did you use to move your stuff. i am going to start looking into all that soon. We have a lot of stuff, so I know it won't be cheap.

Thanks.

Julie

Hi, thanks for all your advice. I know that they normally put the top of the range stuff in a show home and that they make the furniture a smaller size to make the room look bigger.

I was wondering if the "fixed price" was actually that, unless you personally added upgrades yourself.

Guest Leeandclare

Hi Julie we settle on the 27th and can't wait.Thought you where waiting til after xmas. The thing you really have to worry about is footings. The builder only puts in a provisional cost of say 7000 but this could treble with retainers or if you hit rock on the dig for your slab. Estimate this to be higher.

We have just had 5 quotes for the move they range from 3500 (statewide removals) to 6500(wridgeways) plus insurance around $35 for every $1000 value.

Hope all goes well for you and you sell quickly.

Lee

Guest guest30038
Hi, thanks for all your advice. I know that they normally put the top of the range stuff in a show home and that they make the furniture a smaller size to make the room look bigger.

I was wondering if the "fixed price" was actually that, unless you personally added upgrades yourself.

Try and picture this 'cause it isn't all that easy to explain. Forget how the show home looks/looked. The price quoted is for that home (irrespective of how they are displaying it) with the builders basic tiles, bricks, fittings, roof etc. The show home will have top of the range in everything, and at this point, you really have no idea what the offered package will look like other than the basic shape of the house

When you show an interest in it, they then invite you to a showroom/head office and show you what you are getting for that basic price. you may not like the taps.......they show you some others that invariably are twice the price or more.............you may not like the paint.........other colours are dearer...........you may want different bricks........again, dearer...........different floor tiles (they invariably offer you the ****tiest colours with the intention of getting you to..............you guessed it..........buy dearere........and so on. You may not like the cooker and they may not offer you a different one because they have bought those cookers in a job lot with huge discounts..........ask 'em for a different one and they may say, "that's the cooker.......take it or leave it" Our builder (Plantation Homes) was even prepared to lose the contract rather than give us a different cooker! (wankers!) Our end result after changing brick, tiles, paint, fixtures, kitchen and vanities was over 20% dearer than their original quote and I have heard of folk who've paid even more. On top of that, and despite us having our own soil test, once we signed up and the plot was levelled, they turned round and said that we needed a different slab at a cost of another 8 grand! If they had our soil test before we signed up, why wasn't that mentioned before we signed? Wankers!

Some folk may have slightly different experiences to ours but we would never build again............especially with Plantation, even though it means you get a 6 yr structural warranty whereas if you buy an established home, you don't. Most of our problems after build were not structural and "cosmetic" (as they call 'em) problems only have a 12 month warranty. Shortly after that cosmetic warranty expired, all our outdoor heritage green painting turned cyan.............the kitchen worktops lifted..............all the door and shower handles fell off................all the toilet roll holders and towel rails came off (screwed straight into the plasterboard with no plugs) and a multitude of other crap.

Each to their own but we got badly burned and have learned a valuable lesson or two.

kev

Guest Leeandclare

When did you build. We have built in SA you ave to go in with your eyes wide open. If you build you save thousands as soon as you move in. In our experience it is cheaper to build than to buy. The houses are pretty badly built and standards of tradies (in sa anyway) really bad but the odds are if you buy an established house the standards of build are going to be the same. Toilet roll holders and any poor painting have probably been fixed though.

It is very stressful though and i think it depends alot on your supervisor. How your house going now?

Lee

Hi, Lee, you don't hang around do you? Anyone would think you are desperate to leave SA. I can't think why, lol.

We have decided to get the ball rolling sooner, as we think our house might take a little longer to sell as been as it is a bit bigger than some around Hallett Cove. Plus I suppose it takes a few weeks to get all the advertising bumf ready. There is only a bit of painting left to do now, most of the stuff is done. Thanks for the quotes. I suppose it all depends on how much you are taking. We have loads of stuff (way more than what we came with) so I am dreading the cost.

Good luck. I was hoping to catch up with you before you went, but we haven't had a chance. Keep us posted with your move. Hopefull we won't be too far behind.

Take care.

Julie

Sorry to hear that Kev. I suppose you have to ask around to see who has built with who as to which builder has the better reputation (if there are any)

We are thinking of building because the houses just aren't coming up in our price range and those that are need updating, like new kitchen, bathroom and flooring. We have just had new tiles and it costs and absolute fortune as did putting in a new vanity unit and shower screen in the ensuite. Hubby did it himself (and did a really good job, I might say) so that saved us loads.

I don't really want to fork out all that much again if I have to.

I know no home is perfect and you always want to change something but at least with a new build you don't even have to change the colour scheme for a while.

The guy at the shown homes at Pacific Pines said the house can take between 4 and 6 months to build. Is that after planning as been approved, or when the slab is down? I just need to get an idea as to how long we are going to have to rent.

With a bit of luck though, something might be available that we like that is already built, then we won't have to wait.

Thanks for all your advice.

Julie

Archived