Schools !! - Teachers Opinions ???

Guest Iain H

Hi All,

I am posting this in the hope that there are some teachers out there ( or just people in the know ! ) who have an understanding of the main differences between UK and Oz schools. We are hoping to move to Brisbane next year. We have three kids ( 6,9 & 12 ) and they attend great catholic schools here but one gripe we have is that our eldest daughter who is a bright kid, has just started high school seems to get an awful lot of homework; too much in our opinion ! - She copes but it is getting her down. I am hoping that Catholic schools in Oz may be a bit more relaxed towards homework. Are there any UK teachers in the PIO community who now teach in Oz who could give us some opinion on any fundamental differences between UK and Oz schools. Not just about homework obviously but the general approach to education, sport....anything really !!

Thanks All

Iain H:rolleyes:

Hi Iain

I think the first thing to do is definitely not to compare the two systems directly! They are different and learning is done at different stages. So whilst you children may come to Australia and seem like they are "ahead" they will actually find that in some respects they are "behind" - whatever that case, they will soon fit in. The Australian schooling system to me, is slightly less focused on pure academic achievement. There is a great emphasis on teaching life skills - such as being able to stand up and talk in front of a group of people.

It very much varies from school to school. Some schools give out a ton of homework, even at primary level and others seem to give very little. I am not a fan of homework either!!

I did not teach in the UK, only here in Australia, so my experience may be a little one sided......I was educated in the UK though!

Good luck with your move

Love

Rudi

x

Archived