Uk to OZ Drivers license

Guest vony

hi all,

Can anyone help with these quetions from my husband please.

I have an old (non photo) UK drivers licence with my (soon to be) old UK address on.

I need to tell DVLA of my new address in Oz however I need to have my UK one so I can get my new Oz licence within 12 weeks of arriving in country.

What’s the best solution? Send the UK one back to UK in 12 weeks time after I get my Oz one?

Do they issue UK drivers licences with Oz addresses on?

Thanks,

Veronika

:chatterbox:

Hi Veronika

I think you will find the majority of people hang on to their UK licence and don't actually tell DVLA. I know i didn't,i wasn't aware you had to at the time, and i have spoke to many familys who also held onto heirs mainly incase things don't work out here and they return.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

The rules have changed in WA you have to change your licence on GRANT of your visa so you have to do it asap on arrival and I think they take your old one but if youre on a457 you dont have to change but any demerits you lose will trnsfer to yur WA one if you change ,

Guest Guest31881
You will need to get an ozzy license ASAP.As you will need it for ID.We never told the DVLA we just got a license here and kept our old one.If you don't keep your old one if you go back you might have to take your test again.

Sarah

If you lose your UK licence and return to Uk then you can swop your Aussie licence for a UK one. My wife swopped Aussie licence for UK version.

Personally i would send for a Photo licence before I arrived here to my English address, I do not think you have to inform DVLC if you leave the country. A lot of places like two forms of photo ID when you arrive and i found most will accept a UK photo licence for the first few weeks.

You should be able to change your Paper licence for a photo licence on line, they ask permission to use your passport photo on the new licence.

I arrived in NSW 4 years ago and had no problem changing my old style UK one for an Aussie one.

I don't think you need to tell the DVLA of your non-UK address (I certainly didn't bother and just use my Aussie one when in the UK).

You can't change a british licence to have a non UK address. I still have my old UK licence with my old UK address just in case I ever need it.

Guest tomatohead

its a £ 1000 fine if you dont inform the DVLA if you change your address in the uk , i dont know how this affects you being abroad but its worth asking just to be sure

Tom

Guest siamsusie
its a £ 1000 fine if you dont inform the DVLA if you change your address in the uk , i dont know how this affects you being abroad but its worth asking just to be sure

Tom

But you can also give DVLA a PO box address, now that is legal:wubclub:

Myself and my wife have been here 3 years and have not told the DVLA of our address change - I mean it's not like we own a car over there or are gonna get caught speeding!

My wife has even applied for and received a new one since we have been in oz!

Archived