Another MASSIVE increase in WA Energy Bills..not there yet and really concerned!

Guest Quwa

Hi

Just read this article on 'Perth NOW' online and i was wondering if currnet WA resisdence can tell me if the energy bill increases of 23% in 09 has been felt as much as this article is making out?

Shock for households as power bills to surge $270 a year | PerthNow

We move to Perth in the next 3weeks and seeing that there has been such an increase this year, and a planned 26% increase next year, it is a worry what with us going out with no jobs and starting a new ect ect. They are saying that the average family has had to find and extra $270 already to cover the increase, that will surely double with the 2010 planned 26% THATS MASSIVE! :wideeyed:

Obviously you find it, you have to find it, but how do energy bills get paid in Aus, can you do monthly direct debits or do they have to be paid in one big hit? If so then a hit of over $400 in one month is nasty. :huh:

Is this increase to be a yearly thing!?!?! Any advise or info most appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Just read this article on 'Perth NOW' online and i was wondering if currnet WA resisdence can tell me if the energy bill increases of 23% in 09 has been felt as much as this article is making out?

Shock for households as power bills to surge $270 a year | PerthNow

We move to Perth in the next 3weeks and seeing that there has been such an increase this year, and a planned 26% increase next year, it is a worry what with us going out with no jobs and starting a new ect ect. They are saying that the average family has had to find and extra $270 already to cover the increase, that will surely double with the 2010 planned 26% THATS MASSIVE! :wideeyed:

Obviously you find it, you have to find it, but how do energy bills get paid in Aus, can you do monthly direct debits or do they have to be paid in one big hit? If so then a hit of over $400 in one month is nasty. :huh:

Is this increase to be a yearly thing!?!?! Any advise or info most appreciated.

Thanks

Yearly thing just nearly **** myself then and i live here lol. Gas bill at new rental, 100 bucks for 77 days

oh but thats with 48 bucks application fee

mally

not to horrific....its just sounds mental at an increase of 26%!!!! and i though British gas's price hikes were evil!

thanks for replying mally, sorry for nearly inducing ****ing yourself! ;o) x

not to horrific....its just sounds mental at an increase of 26%!!!! and i though British gas's price hikes were evil!

thanks for replying mally, sorry for nearly inducing ****ing yourself! ;o) x

Its not too bad new house solar hot water ,so save a bitof lekky when we get there , have to watch the water charges esp with reticulation , but not as hefty as uk billls and dont bother with aircon

Guest Clairey b

Hi there. We have just had our 1st bills, and the gas wasn't too bad, it was the electricity that was a bit of a shocker! oh and the connection fees as Mally said!!!

The gas was $150

Electricity $461....aaaargh!!

Water $50

That is for a 4 by 2 and for a family of 5!

We always used to pay our bills at home monthly by direct debit, but our direct debit here only seems to have gone out when we had this 1st bill, which was for a period of 2 months?? not sure if thats how they do it here!?

Best of luck with your move,

Claire xx

Hi there. We have just had our 1st bills, and the gas wasn't too bad, it was the electricity that was a bit of a shocker! oh and the connection fees as Mally said!!!

The gas was $150

Electricity $461....aaaargh!!

Water $50

That is for a 4 by 2 and for a family of 5!

We always used to pay our bills at home monthly by direct debit, but our direct debit here only seems to have gone out when we had this 1st bill, which was for a period of 2 months?? not sure if thats how they do it here!?

Best of luck with your move,

Claire xx

Check your bill ,the electric bill looks very steep ,we did not have one like that last rental with no gas ,check your movin in figure and your last bill, ( and turn the aircon off )

Our electric bill was $128 for 2 months of which about $30 was the connection fee, but we've not had the aircon on at all (house has very high ceilings). It does seem as though the electiricity is the one to be aware of here. I thought the water might be expensive, as there is so much in the news about it being a scarce resource, but the first bill was for the first month & it was only for about $5

I can't make head nor tail of the Telstra bill, though. We have signed up for home phone, broadband & TV through them, and it's all supposed to be on one bill. First one has arrived, but doesn't mention phone, and it's so confusing I can't tell at all if it's right. (And it's $240 for 2 months)

J

Our electric bill was $128 for 2 months of which about $30 was the connection fee, but we've not had the aircon on at all (house has very high ceilings). It does seem as though the electiricity is the one to be aware of here. I thought the water might be expensive, as there is so much in the news about it being a scarce resource, but the first bill was for the first month & it was only for about $5

I can't make head nor tail of the Telstra bill, though. We have signed up for home phone, broadband & TV through them, and it's all supposed to be on one bill. First one has arrived, but doesn't mention phone, and it's so confusing I can't tell at all if it's right. (And it's $240 for 2 months)

J

Telstra

phone $39 plan ,bigpond 100 bucks , foxtel separate 100 or so bucks

in winter my gas bills are just over $700 a bill i had a gas plumber come and check my appliances to see if there was leak , he told me he does four to five checks a day at a cost of $200 because every one is shocked by their bills , in summer my gas bills are about $140 a bill so i suppose it evens out , so it has to be the gas fire as its the only thing thats different from summer to winter .

my electric bills come in the range of $450 to $490 a bill saying that i run the pool and the aircon split systems i put in daiken inverters and quite honestly i didnt see a big change in the bills running them in the bedrooms at night

Guest Clairey b

Must say we were gobsmacked when the electricity bill arrived, but checked the date and all is correct, so not sure?? Have hardly had the aircon on, but had the heat on a bit initially in the evenings, but not that much!!! so not sure really!

Claire

All i can say is holy crappola having energy seems to be an expensive necessity!! Have to budget for that one! ..have to say whilst very excited by the move i am very worried by how much everything seems to cost from installation fees to paying for Doctor appointment (i know you can claim back but still have to fork out initially) to paying for things like pregnancy scans etc.... I think i will have a bit of shock and realisation as to how much we actually get for free (ish) in the uK.

Still...for the most part we will have sunshine - ill live outside and cook an a coal bbq - no worries!! ;o)

thanks for all the info guys x

All i can say is holy crappola having energy seems to be an expensive necessity!! Have to budget for that one! ..have to say whilst very excited by the move i am very worried by how much everything seems to cost from installation fees to paying for Doctor appointment (i know you can claim back but still have to fork out initially) to paying for things like pregnancy scans etc.... I think i will have a bit of shock and realisation as to how much we actually get for free (ish) in the uK.

Still...for the most part we will have sunshine - ill live outside and cook an a coal bbq - no worries!! ;o)

thanks for all the info guys x

Still loads cheaper than the uk , we were payin 46 quid a month dd for lekky and similar for gas , bbq gas is cheap tho lol , bloody daylight saving or lack of it means a nother few more bucks for the power co`s bloomin dinosaurs

Well thats it then BBQ it is then for summer autumn winter and spring! lol Guess wont really get a full picture until we are up and running but its good to have view points and at least i know not to start getting overly excited by the aircon! ;o)

Well thats it then BBQ it is then for summer autumn winter and spring! lol Guess wont really get a full picture until we are up and running but its good to have view points and at least i know not to start getting overly excited by the aircon! ;o)

Defo barbie in winter ,no food just fetch it indoors for a waaaaarrrrm lol

Guest guest17301

We find the electric is expensive, more so than the gas. Only gas appliance we have is the hob though! Electric bills are about $250 a quarter which is just a bit more than we paid in England. Gas is less: about $20 a month, $60 a quarter. Water costs are negligible if renting...$55 for 6 months for useage only...obviously more if you own then theres rates to consider. Our phone/broadband package (no foxtel) is around $100 a month.

We find the electric is expensive, more so than the gas. Only gas appliance we have is the hob though! Electric bills are about $250 a quarter which is just a bit more than we paid in England. Gas is less: about $20 a month, $60 a quarter. Water costs are negligible if renting...$55 for 6 months for useage only...obviously more if you own then theres rates to consider. Our phone/broadband package (no foxtel) is around $100 a month.

Fiona if you dont mind me asking how many people are in your house and how big is it?

thanks for the figures x:eek:

Guest guest17301
Fiona if you dont mind me asking how many people are in your house and how big is it?

thanks for the figures x:eek:

There's 2 adults and 2 children. House is 4 beds 2 baths. Biggest expense I think is the electric water heater. The electric costs are from heating the water I reckon from long daily showers (dtr doesn't understand there's a water shortage in WA!)

Dug a bill out from march 2009 lekky $139.55 including 14.87 supply charge and the good old gst. This was for 64 days in a 4 x 2 with no gas , ni bad , one thing is if you dont use the aircon and reverse for heatin ,there are no really big spikes as in the uk with the heatin spikes in winter

Thanks guys! A few things if you dont mind...

Moirclan..i have heard of bulk billing but cld you tell me exactly what it is im not quite getting it!

Fiona..have a fiance same as your daughter!!

Yorkshire..how do you survive the summer with no aircon!!!?! ;o)

Thanks guys! A few things if you dont mind...

Moirclan..i have heard of bulk billing but cld you tell me exactly what it is im not quite getting it!

Fiona..have a fiance same as your daughter!!

Yorkshire..how do you survive the summer with no aircon!!!?! ;o)

Have an ice bath with oh! A few cold beers! Cold wet towels around each other! Ice in bed! Need i say more?

Have an ice bath with oh! A few cold beers! Cold wet towels around each other! Ice in bed! Need i say more?

Ahh ok so basically build a swimming pool and live in it whilst popping out on to dry land to eat from the bbq..in short become a hippo! :wink:

Archived