Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I've had chickenpox but my sister hasn't.  A doctor told her he didn't believe she could possibly have grown up in Scotland in the 1950s and 1960s without catching it.  It is possible to have it and have no symptoms, similar to what happens with Covid now -- some people get very sick and some people don't even know they've got it.  There is a test you can do, to see whether you've had it or not.   

My GP mentioned the test so that's what I'll have.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Parley said:

If you are correct and never had chickenpox you could catch it from someone who has shingles.

Oh that's not a nice thought.  Well worth discussing the whole thing next time I see my GP.

How are you feeling today?  When were your shingles diagnosed?

52 minutes ago, Toots said:

Oh that's not a nice thought.  Well worth discussing the whole thing next time I see my GP.

I think I only got it about 1 week ago. I don't feel too bad now. Getting on the antivirals early is important they say.

I had a very painful eye for 2 to 3 days and extremely tired. Slept a lot then the rash appeared out of nowhere.

Luckilly that hasn't been too painful and hasn't really spread. I've been careful to avoid touching it where i can and lots of hand washing. I think touching the rash and then other parts of the body can make it spread.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

How long did people take off from work when they were sick with shingles?

Oooph.  Just saw the shingles stuff.  Very sorry to hear that, @Parley - hope you mend up quick sharp.

• Thanks 1

Software Engineer by trade.  Gardener by heart.

18 hours ago, Parley said:

IKNWC but I have shingles and feeling miserable

I guess you haven’t had the new 2-part vaccine? 

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Get the just released 2-part vaccine.  I had the old one but still had minor attacks.  Had the first shot of the new one a week or so back.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toots said:

The Northern Territory should have been given to the Jews after the 2nd world war.  Before the backlash starts, I'm saying it very tongue in cheek.  They would have been far away from any conflict and turned the desert into farmland.

Maybe we should have a referendum on it? Those things never stoke up any racial issues.

Besides it doesn't matter in a referendum whether or not the Northern Territory votes for or against it.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I've had chickenpox but my sister hasn't.  A doctor told her he didn't believe she could possibly have grown up in Scotland in the 1950s and 1960s without catching it.  It is possible to have it and have no symptoms, similar to what happens with Covid now -- some people get very sick and some people don't even know they've got it.  There is a test you can do, to see whether you've had it or not.   

My brother had chickenpox but I didn't have any symptoms. The doctor at the time said he suspected that I'd had it but without any symptoms (but they didn't do tests in those days).

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

2 hours ago, Parley said:

It probably depends on how severe the shingles are.  My sister-in-law had shingles quite badly a couple of years ago.   She took a couple of weeks off work but was still in quite a bit of pain when even her clothes touching the bad area was still very painful.  All up, she didn't feel back to normal for a good couple of months but didn't take any more time off work.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Maybe we should have a referendum on it? Those things never stoke up any racial issues.

Besides it doesn't matter in a referendum whether or not the Northern Territory votes for or against it.

Yes, I wonder if a referendum had been held after WW2 what the result would have been?  Things were an awful lot different back then.  

6 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

'early onset moobs' - great term, although isn't going to make for a very memorable acronym.

I'm in my later 50s and my moobs are now well-developed to the point where my wife keeps asking me if she can get them transplanted to her!

They're mostly fat, so it's more about diet than exercise. We don't need the same amount of calories as we get into middle age, although we tend to eat as much and often the wrong types of food. I'd look at your diet first and try and cut down on excess sugar and fats, and reduce your alcohol consumption (if applicable). I'd keep up with the exercises but do more repetitions at lower weights to maintain the muscle tone. I noticed you mentioned badminton in an different post, which is a great CV exercise, and I'd also consider running if you don't have any problems with your knees and hips. I run between 7-10km on a 3 day cycle (so 7 runs per fortnight), which is about the only thing stopping me bloating into a man-mountain.

Where to start.  I've cut down on booze.  I wait until it's dark and limit myself to 2 glasses of red wine a day.  I've stocked up on cranberry juice and I think just having a glass of something red has a psychological effect. I must have the best urinary tract in the UK.

Deffo need to cut down sweets (lollies) trying to exchange for raw nuts. And I could easily cut down on food.  I eat dinner even if not hungry.  Maybe for the sake of sitting around the table with family I could have some crackers or something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

I guess you haven’t had the new 2-part vaccine? 

Unfortunately No. I do know about it and wanted to get it but haven't yet

9 hours ago, Parley said:

What does the doc recommend?

5 hours ago, Parley said:

Isn't it a bit late for a vaccine?

10 hours ago, Parley said:

I think you should have a "shingles party" liked they used to in the old days with the kids and chicken pox.  you could invite all the oldies in the neighbourhood , make it a BYO, put some old val Donegan records. 

Just make sure you emphasise that its a  "shingles party " and not a "singles party"

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Parley said:

Couple of weeks. Could have taken longer but the office wanted me back. Avoid pregnant women if you do go back.

Edited by Blue Manna
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Parley said:

The chances of getting it again are very low, between 1-4% based on various studies, so I wouldn't worry unless you're immunocompromised or generally in poor health. Since I had it I've only had one reoccurrence where I got a tiny patch in the same area as where the original rash was (which was huge), during a time I felt particularly stressed out and run down at work.

Statistically you're now much less likely to get it again than someone who has never had it, so there's one reason to be cheerful. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Australian Citizen since 2007 | Returned to the UK between 2008-2011 | QLD resident for over 20 years

All advice and opinions I provide on PomsInOz are solely my own and are general in nature. I am not a migration agent, accountant, tax expert or financial adviser, and my insights are no substitute for professional advice. I strongly encourage you to seek the guidance of qualified professionals for specific concerns. I do not assume any responsibility for actions taken based on the information provided in any of my posts, and if you choose to act on this information then you do so entirely at your own risk.

16 hours ago, Parley said:

Don’t delay 

On 26/11/2023 at 17:46, Toots said:

The Northern Territory should have been given to the Jews after the 2nd world war.  Before the backlash starts, I'm saying it very tongue in cheek.  They would have been far away from any conflict and turned the desert into farmland.

This has already been tried before and it didn't work because everyone moved out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

• Like 1

Disappointed to hear that NZ are scrapping their progressive smoking policy which would have prevented young people ever taking up smoking.

We should have seen whether it would have worked.

The government is scrapping it to fund some tax cuts.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Disappointed to hear that NZ are scrapping their progressive smoking policy which would have prevented young people ever taking up smoking.

We should have seen whether it would have worked.

The government is scrapping it to fund some tax cuts.

Talk about short-termism.  What a shame.   The article says it’s to preserve $1bn tax revenue.  But the future generation will have to pay for the healthcare costs of smoking related illness. I don’t know what that is for NZ but for the U.K. it’s almost £2bn a year. 

I wouldn’t be surprised is this isnt actually from successful lobbying by the smoking industry. 

• Like 2

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

5 Feb 2023 - 309/100 submitted | 14 Mar 2023 309 & 100 granted

2 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Talk about short-termism.  What a shame.   The article says it’s to preserve $1bn tax revenue.  But the future generation will have to pay for the healthcare costs of smoking related illness. I don’t know what that is for NZ but for the U.K. it’s almost £2bn a year. 

I wouldn’t be surprised is this isnt actually from successful lobbying by the smoking industry. 

By lobbying, you mean bribe?