Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

12 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

You’re absolutely correct and as @lavers said, if you have a passport and a credit card you have all you need. 

But logic doesn’t always work with anxiety so maybe try writing a list of things you’ll want. I find lists make me feel like I’m actually doing something and taking control. 

I agree, I've always said that there nothing a credit card and a passport won't solve!!! Avomine or scopolamine patches are my go to along with a ball of yarn and set of double pointed needles (for socks) and I'm super chilled. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toots said:

After World War Two, Brazil became a bolt-hole for scores of wanted Nazi war criminals.   Looks like this is the result of breeding with natives.

Yes but hardly only Brazil. A lot went to Chile and Argentina. Indeed Chile has a number of German influenced towns down south. But let's not forget Australia. A number arrived here as well. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Yes but hardly only Brazil. A lot went to Chile and Argentina. Indeed Chile has a number of German influenced towns down south. But let's not forget Australia. A number arrived here as well. 

Yes I do know all that.  

Not a nice sight seeing Bolsonara's lot giving the Nazi salute  ...........................  and before you add any more information, I'm well aware the the right wing in many other countries are pretty keen on the same salute.

10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Emirates. Their website says only 1 piece of hand luggage. It used to be you could take a carry on plus handbag. 

they good flights between Dubai and Australia, great plane, sensible passenger, baggage ok. 

Messy plane from UK to Dubai, lots of intercnage to subcontinent, on off, too many baggage, mess about, hence strict rule.

10 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I can’t believe people are laughing at my budget PJ’s. I’ll have you know I look very cool in them. Especially when I slip on my white slippers stolen from a hotel room to go to the toilet on the plane. 

I do same.  you get free in some bus class even now, but very cheap.  Object is to be relaxed, who care bout cool. Some plane very hot.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Yes I do know all that.  

Not a nice sight seeing Bolsonara's lot giving the Nazi salute  ...........................  and before you add any more information, I'm well aware the the right wing in many other countries are pretty keen on the same salute.

People really should do some research before posting.  All Brazilian men are conscripted at 18 part of the swearing in involves saluting the flag.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-Pledge-of-Allegiance-to-the-Brazilian-flag-or-to-the-nation-Brazil-for-which-the-flag-stands

11 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Emirates. Their website says only 1 piece of hand luggage. It used to be you could take a carry on plus handbag. 

I flew Emirates and flying back home next Tuesday. I can’t totally help as I flew business. 

Left Australia using my Australian passport for the first time!! British one at Heathrow. Think you are flying from Perth? We flew from Brisbane check in fine  as flying in the evening so airport was fairly quiet, no departure card to fill in any more, Dubai airport was fine as usual, I wore a mask in the airports, my choice, but not on the plane. If you can only take one7gk?  bag? then take one large enough to put your handbag in, a book, I take a pashmina as I often feel a bit cold round my shoulders, small pot of  face cream as my skin can feel very dry, I take an empty bottle of water and fill it up on the plane as I like constant access to water, rather than waiting for one to be offered, or having to call for one, neck cushion thing and most important  a spare pair of knickers!  I travel with as little hand luggage as possible, it’s just a pain carrying it.

Tell your bank you will be in UK. I put my mobile (Telstra) on global roaming, which has been pretty useless, will be complaining when back, husband put UK SIM card in his which has been fine. Autumn weather has been very mild, and the colours of the trees beautiful, I’ve still found it cold, and it’s forecast to turn frosty and colder from this weekend. I’ve either been hot in people’s homes, or cold, people are rightly very worried about the cost of electricity and gas, so quite a few of our friends were already heating their homes less. Can’t get my head around the supermarkets here, full of rows of pre-cooked meals, hard to buy small amounts of things, lots seem to be in large sizes, and although fruit & veg comes prepackaged in our Woolworths, I think there is more choice to pick up as much or little loose here, not criticising, but found it annoying as we are renting and in and out catching up with people here and there, so don’t need much.

That’s all I can think of for now, have a wonderful trip, enjoy every minute, it’s very special to catch up with family and friends, I know I am older than you, so conscious it might be the last time we come for us, so we have rushed around like mad to still see everyone, as we lost 2 weeks of our 5 week trip due to catching covid. Will need a holiday when we get home😎

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

I agree, I've always said that there nothing a credit card and a passport won't solve!!! Avomine or scopolamine patches are my go to along with a ball of yarn and set of double pointed needles (for socks) and I'm super chilled. 

Are knitting needles allowed again now?

37 minutes ago, ramot said:

I flew Emirates and flying back home next Tuesday. I can’t totally help as I flew business. 

Left Australia using my Australian passport for the first time!! British one at Heathrow. Think you are flying from Perth? We flew from Brisbane check in fine  as flying in the evening so airport was fairly quiet, no departure card to fill in any more, Dubai airport was fine as usual, I wore a mask in the airports, my choice, but not on the plane. If you can only take one7gk?  bag? then take one large enough to put your handbag in, a book, I take a pashmina as I often feel a bit cold round my shoulders, small pot of  face cream as my skin can feel very dry, I take an empty bottle of water and fill it up on the plane as I like constant access to water, rather than waiting for one to be offered, or having to call for one, neck cushion thing and most important  a spare pair of knickers!  I travel with as little hand luggage as possible, it’s just a pain carrying it.

Tell your bank you will be in UK. I put my mobile (Telstra) on global roaming, which has been pretty useless, will be complaining when back, husband put UK SIM card in his which has been fine. Autumn weather has been very mild, and the colours of the trees beautiful, I’ve still found it cold, and it’s forecast to turn frosty and colder from this weekend. I’ve either been hot in people’s homes, or cold, people are rightly very worried about the cost of electricity and gas, so quite a few of our friends were already heating their homes less. Can’t get my head around the supermarkets here, full of rows of pre-cooked meals, hard to buy small amounts of things, lots seem to be in large sizes, and although fruit & veg comes prepackaged in our Woolworths, I think there is more choice to pick up as much or little loose here, not criticising, but found it annoying as we are renting and in and out catching up with people here and there, so don’t need much.

That’s all I can think of for now, have a wonderful trip, enjoy every minute, it’s very special to catch up with family and friends, I know I am older than you, so conscious it might be the last time we come for us, so we have rushed around like mad to still see everyone, as we lost 2 weeks of our 5 week trip due to catching covid. Will need a holiday when we get home😎

Ps if you take any medication, put it in your carry on luggage, take a copy of your prescription with you, if at all worried about going through Dubai, don’t take codeine with you if going through Dubai

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Are knitting needles allowed again now?

I've never had a problem with knitting needles although I did get a pair of "aeroplane friendly" scissors snatched at Singapore!  I tend to take wooden needles or tips especially for sock knitting so nobody gets their knickers in a knot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ramot said:

We flew with Emirates end of August priced business 34k return 😳 ended up premium economy which was good. 
We had 10kg hand luggage and 40kg check in 

We tried Quality Street last night. Over-sweetened and sickly.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 03/11/2022 at 09:33, Lavers said:

But hamsters live in cages 🤪

There's a big cage all around the house. You can't see it because the photo's been taken from inside the cage.

• Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

19 hours ago, ramot said:

Ps if you take any medication, put it in your carry on luggage, take a copy of your prescription with you, if at all worried about going through Dubai, don’t take codeine with you if going through Dubai

Yes my daughter has her meds all sorted I believe. I dont take anything except iron and occasional pantoprazole so hopefully they'll be ok. I do take panadol, ibuprofen and naproxen as needed for headaches and migraine. I shouldn't need to show scripts for those I hope? 

20 hours ago, ramot said:

Thanks so much for this. I bought our neck cushiona today. Very important! Yes unsure about phone. Can you still use your Telstra data overseas?! If so I should get by with what's app and messenger. Will use family and airport Wi-Fi 

22 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

You’re absolutely correct and as @lavers said, if you have a passport and a credit card you have all you need. 

But logic doesn’t always work with anxiety so maybe try writing a list of things you’ll want. I find lists make me feel like I’m actually doing something and taking control. 

I find making a start on packing helps me. Plus lists. I am a big list girl. 

23 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

There’s nothing you can’t easily get hold of if you forgot something.  Both try and look forward to the trip and not worry about forgetting stuff that will be readily available in the UK.  Sometimes being too organised too early can make things worse.  I am flying to Australia in 8 days and I’ve given no thought whatsoever of what to pack or wear.  My suitcase is still in the loft and I’m away this weekend.  Working Monday to Friday next week as well.  One evening next week I’ll get the case down and fill it.  I’ll decide there and then what to pack and that’s it.  If I forget something I’ll either make do without it or buy it there.  There are some places where you’d have to be super organised on what you take.  Australia/UK not so. I can’t help with the flying anxiety because like you I love flying.  I hope you have a lovely holiday.  

Yes we are both working up to the day we fly which isn't ideal but as you say it can all be purchased there and how often do you wear everything you pack anyway? Thanks for your advice. Feeling a bit better today. A big family friends wedding tomorrow so just too much to think about I think. 

Giffgaff sim. £10 for 15gb unlimited U.K. calls and texts. No contract. They use the o2 network so coverage is great. 

• Like 2

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

So it never rains...my son fell off his bike last Sun.. soldiered rhrough the week thinking it was a bad sprain..today had x ray as pain increased and his thumb is literally snapped in half. Having surgery on Mon. 

• Sad 5

It's a lovely clear night sky so we are sat out in the back garden watching the lunar eclipse. 

At Heathrow big frustrating problem. Booked on emirates through Qantas, all confirmed but Emirates won’t accept us without a ticket, but it’s on our phone!! Qantas phoning Sydney!!! Been here an hour already, lucky we came early, still got 3 hours before the flight. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ramot said:

At Heathrow big frustrating problem. Booked on emirates through Qantas, all confirmed but Emirates won’t accept us without a ticket, but it’s on our phone!! Qantas phoning Sydney!!! Been here an hour already, lucky we came early, still got 3 hours before the flight. 

Hope it all works out for you 😕

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Took 2 hours to sort out having to wait for Qantas to answer, which amazingly the finally did. Then the security woman took a likening to me and frisked lightly, but decided to do it more thoroughly, then passed the wand over several times! I’m wearing a tightest tea shirt over slim fit trousers, what could I have been hiding. Relaxed at last 45 mins to go

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ramot said:

So are you saying Emirates only accept paper tickets? I usually only fly Qantas who have been tickets-on-phones for years, but may have to take a short notice flight soon, so I'd like to be prepared in case i have to fly EK. 

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

So are you saying Emirates only accept paper tickets? I usually only fly Qantas who have been tickets-on-phones for years, but may have to take a short notice flight soon, so I'd like to be prepared in case i have to fly EK. 

What we think happened as far as we can understand, was that we changed our return flight, the booking was made and confirmed, we had checked in on line, seats allocated but Qantas hadn’t re-issued  a new ticket, so we weren’t showing up as having a ticket? (not a paper one, an e ticket) We we’re lucky it was resolved in 2 hours so could still check in reasonably early as apparently the flight was overbooked. Now in Dubai hope no further problems

• Like 2