Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Watched the Coronation on a 9”  black and white tv and the dear lady’s funeral. Two superb moments in history!

Cheers, Bobj.

I was being rushed to hospital  in an ambulance, to have my appendix out on coronation day😢 Not the best memory.

Words almost can’t do justice, to the funeral of the Queen, I completely agree with previous posters comments. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Bobj said:

Watched the Coronation on a 9”  black and white tv and the dear lady’s funeral. Two superb moments in history!

Cheers, Bobj.

The Coronation was the very first film I saw (no TV in Australia then) in a picture theatre in country NSW .  I remember asking my mother beforehand what a film was:  when she said "moving pictures" I imagined  framed pictures physically moving across a wall. 🙂  I remember it being very long for a small child - but lovely for my homesick English mother.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skani said:

The Coronation was the very first film I saw (no TV in Australia then) in a picture theatre in country NSW .  I remember asking my mother beforehand what a film was:  when she said "moving pictures" I imagined  framed pictures physically moving across a wall. 🙂  I remember it being very long for a small child - but lovely for my homesick English mother.

it's funny what you remember.  For Charles and Di we were in the Dordogne watching someone's portable TV through one of those clear plastic tent windows.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2022 at 20:40, calNgary said:

Not sure i agree sorry, i saw the witch hunt media reporting about it and think its disgusting the way they pick up all the negatives. His bloomin mother has just died but unlike you and i , he cannot mourn in peace with his close family, instead he has to do a 4 day tour in the public eye with millions scrutinising his every move ,so i think in his position i too would be a tad snappy. Yes its something he was born too and raised with but when its your own mother he should be cut some slack.

Cal x

Very well said.  My immediate reaction to the criticism of him was "Give the poor bloke a break!"  I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your mother then  immediately be catapulted into that frenetic round of public duties, organisation and decisions and travel to the 4 corners of the UK, constantly followed by cameras and microphones recording your every move and utterance.  I'm about the same vintage as Charles and Camilla and have even more respect for them having to do that with the reduced energy and inevitable aches and pains that come with their age (and Camilla, reportedly, with a broken toe).  They are probably not sleeping  or eating well as is normal in grief.  Plus the fact that they are having to step up to a new job role nearly 10 years after most of us  can retire.  My hat's off to them both!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skani said:

Very well said.  My immediate reaction to the criticism of him was "Give the poor bloke a break!"  I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your mother then  immediately be catapulted into that frenetic round of public duties, organisation and decisions and travel to the 4 corners of the UK, constantly followed by cameras and microphones recording your every move and utterance.  I'm about the same vintage as Charles and Camilla and have even more respect for them having to do that with the reduced energy and inevitable aches and pains that come with their age (and Camilla, reportedly, with a broken toe).  They are probably not sleeping  or eating well as is normal in grief.  Plus the fact that they are having to step up to a new job role nearly 10 years after most of us  can retire.  My hat's off to them both!

He'll be alright. 

It's probably also fair to say though, that he could have been King a long time ago if the circumstances had been better in his personal life.  Was the initial plan not for Charles to become King when he was 40 and allow the Queen to abdicate in her mid-60's so we had a fresh King and younger line of succession coming into the job in the prime of their lives?

He was public enemy No 1 for a long long time and unacceptable as King, which is allegedly why the Queen decided she had no option but to carry on.   As we can now see, the Queen was right and time is a great healer.....but it's caused the same issue for Prince William.  If Charles lives as long as his own parents, he could have another 20 years making Prince William 60!    Is he meant to just kick his heels throughout the prime of his life like Charles did?   Not sure they would remain relevant in today's world, especially within the Commonwealth.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

... he could have been King a long time ago if the circumstances had been better in his personal life.  Was the initial plan not for Charles to become King when he was 40 and allow the Queen to abdicate in her mid-60's so we had a fresh King and younger line of succession coming into the job in the prime of their lives?

That was certainly a suggestion by many.  However I've read several sources which said the Queen was strongly against it on principle.  She believed that the Crown was for life.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

How ridiculous to suggest such a thing.

Don't you remember the solemn vow that the Queen made to her subjects when she was 21?

On my 21st birthday I welcome the opportunity to speak to all the peoples of the British Commonwealth and Empire, wherever they live, whatever race they come from, and whatever language they speak.

I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.
But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.

• Like 3

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

How ridiculous to suggest such a thing.

Don't you remember the solemn vow that the Queen made to her subjects when she was 21?

On my 21st birthday I welcome the opportunity to speak to all the peoples of the British Commonwealth and Empire, wherever they live, whatever race they come from, and whatever language they speak.

I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.
But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.

Sorry mate, I'm not a Royalist so don't bother with stuff like this, and I obviously can't remember as far back as you can, it was 70 years ago after all!   

Suffice to say though, it's a bit weird having a King who's now too old to do much and a bloke half his age kicking his heels when he should be getting on with freshening the place up.

16 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

, it's a bit weird having a King who's now too old to do much and a bloke half his age kicking his heels when he should be getting on with freshening the place up.

It is, which is why there has been so much speculation among the pundits, for the last thirty years or so, about whether the Queen should stand down in favour of Charles or maybe both would stand down in favour of William. As you say, it would make some sense.

It was all just that, speculation.  The media loved it, of course, and it got reported so often, people started to think the royal family were seriously considering the idea.  In fact, there's never been any evidence they were considering anything of the sort.  They're a very traditional bunch and the Queen was brought up to believe that abdication was a deadly sin.  

I think you're also assuming that William is desperate to get his turn.  I doubt it.  Becoming the sovereign means losing a great deal of personal freedom.  Right now he's got the wealth but not nearly as many responsibilities.  I'm sure he's hoping the old man will soldier on for a long time yet.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

I think you're also assuming that William is desperate to get his turn.  I doubt it.  Becoming the sovereign means losing a great deal of personal freedom.  Right now he's got the wealth but not nearly as many responsibilities.  I'm sure he's hoping the old man will soldier on for a long time yet.

I guess the way to end the monarchy would be for William to bugger off to California as well.  I sometimes think he looks as if he'd quite like to, but his wife seems as if she'd really like to be Queen. 

43 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

I guess the way to end the monarchy would be for William to bugger off to California as well.  I sometimes think he looks as if he'd quite like to, but his wife seems as if she'd really like to be Queen. 

You do know there's a whole line of succession after him and his kids so it would just pass to the next person and the next, until someone agrees to take it on...

Don't think we can get a change in the Royal House these days. It will be House of Windsor for ever.

AWORLD FAMOUS FORTURE TELLER HAS PREDICTED THAT THE NEW KING OF UK CHARLES III WILL REIGN FOR A SHORT PERIOD BEFORE ABDICATING THE THRONE FOR PRINCE WILLIAM 

Afortune teller who predicted Queen Elizabeth II’s death using asparagus tips says King Charles III will abdicate next year and hand over the reign to Prince William.

Jemima Packington is the world's only Asparamancer and says she sees the future by tossing spears in the air and interpreting how they land. 

She famously predicted Brexit, Prince Philip's death, Theresa May being ousted as PM and Harry and Meghan stepping back from the Royal Family.🤷‍♀️😯

• Haha 3

On 16/09/2022 at 12:16, HappyHeart said:

You won’t look back….congrats Stacy 

Thank you!! 

We lodged our visa application this week 😄

Going to do medicals and police check around December and see if we get a grant in the months following. 

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

4 hours ago, Tink said:

AWORLD FAMOUS FORTURE TELLER HAS PREDICTED THAT THE NEW KING OF UK CHARLES III WILL REIGN FOR A SHORT PERIOD BEFORE ABDICATING THE THRONE FOR PRINCE WILLIAM 

Afortune teller who predicted Queen Elizabeth II’s death using asparagus tips says King Charles III will abdicate next year and hand over the reign to Prince William.

Jemima Packington is the world's only Asparamancer and says she sees the future by tossing spears in the air and interpreting how they land. 

She famously predicted Brexit, Prince Philip's death, Theresa May being ousted as PM and Harry and Meghan stepping back from the Royal Family.🤷‍♀️😯

A bit like the octopus who predicted world winners.

On 08/09/2022 at 09:40, Tink said:

Hello all those I remember and new ones . 
nice to see this thread still going had some laughs over the years . Pomqueen hope you and yours are well . Congratulations those who got to oz , good luck those waiting . This is a good site for migrants , those who are here and even those wanting return . Lots of support and advice . Take good care tink Xx

Lovely to hear from you Tink xx

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

2 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Hilary Mantel's dead. 

Have to confess I had never heard of her.

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

Have to confess I had never heard of her.

a genius writer.  I didnt have time to read anything until a few years ago, I've still not seen Wolf Hall but the books are amazing.  2 Booker prize winners and a long list nomination for a trilogy is unheard of.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 20:47, Robert Dyson said:

Sorry mate, I'm not a Royalist so don't bother with stuff like this, and I obviously can't remember as far back as you can, it was 70 years ago after all!   

Suffice to say though, it's a bit weird having a King who's now too old to do much and a bloke half his age kicking his heels when he should be getting on with freshening the place up.

Freshening the place up is not part of a King's job description. Infact it would be unconstitutional for him to get involved in anything so political.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Freshening the place up is not part of a King's job description. Infact it would be unconstitutional for him to get involved in anything so political.

I meant like....kicking a football round with a bunch of kids to show he's not a fossil.

Robbie Williams and co were good at the footy today.  

• Like 1

Finally caught covid.

Felt a bit unwell for a day.

Now just a little tired.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Lovely day in Sydney yesterday for elder son's wedding.  Wonderful day!  Younger son made it for his brother's wedding thank goodness.  He moved jobs recently from New York to Bermuda and just missed tropical cyclone Fiona.

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Finally caught covid.

Felt a bit unwell for a day.

Now just a little tired.

Hope you are as fit as a fiddle very soon.

People I know who have had Covid (all vaccinated) have had very minor symptoms for some and others were poleaxed by it.  Strange virus indeed.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1