Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

I see Qantas will soon be doing non stop flights from London to Melbourne/Sydney, great news. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I see Qantas will soon be doing non stop flights from London to Melbourne/Sydney, great news. 

mid-2025......still quite a way off.  I've never caught either BA or Qantas between the UK and Australia, they've never been great standard and don't have a good reputation, hence the preference for Emirates/Etihad as a cheap 4* option or Singapore for a quick 5* airline without the hassle of servicing mobs of sub-continent passengers in the middle east. 

It will be interesting to see what price Qantas put on convenience, assumedly there will be no Economy seats available?

I would recommend ANA as an unusual alternative via Tokyo, a truly superb service on a far better airline.

Edited by beketamun

19 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

It’s the 1st of May and the weather is glorious. Sitting on my front porch amongst the greenery, listening to the birds, feeling thankful, sun filtering through on my arm, with a coffee, bought back by husband who has been to the gym (far too enthusiastic) and contemplating the day ahead. Hoping to see the kids fresh out of iso. 

weather has been wonderful the last few days, warm, cloudless and crystal clear views for 50 miles.  I like it when the summer haze disappears, not that there's been as much heat this season.

2 minutes ago, beketamun said:

mid-2025......still quite a way off.  I've never caught either BA or Qantas between the UK and Australia, they've never been great standard and don't have a good reputation, hence the preference for Emirates/Etihad as a cheap 4* option or Singapore for a quick 5* airline without the hassle of servicing mobs of sub-continent passengers in the middle east. 

It will be interesting to see what price Qantas put on convenience, assumedly there will be no Economy seats available?

I would recommend ANA as an unusual alternative via Tokyo, a truly superb service on a far better airline.

2025 isn’t that far off.   Fine to use the existing options until then but it will be nice to have the non stop option when it comes.  Each to their own re airline preferences. I have used Qantas many times and they have always been excellent.  Earlier this year I had to re-arrange flights when WA delayed their opening only to need to re-arrange them again weeks later when they announced they’d be open in time for my scheduled trip.  I phoned Qantas both times and they were excellent.  Two changes in a matter of weeks and they accommodated what I asked for and with no extra costs.  Customer service at its best. I have flown with Emirates, Etihad and Singapore a few times and they were all very good.  Qantas would still be my first choice though.  No idea whether they’d only be business class but the Perth/Darwin non stop flights have the usual mix including economy so I don’t see why the new ones would be any different. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tulip1 said:

2025 isn’t that far off.   Fine to use the existing options until then but it will be nice to have the non stop option when it comes.  Each to their own re airline preferences. I have used Qantas many times and they have always been excellent.  Earlier this year I had to re-arrange flights when WA delayed their opening only to need to re-arrange them again weeks later when they announced they’d be open in time for my scheduled trip.  I phoned Qantas both times and they were excellent.  Two changes in a matter of weeks and they accommodated what I asked for and with no extra costs.  Customer service at its best. I have flown with Emirates, Etihad and Singapore a few times and they were all very good.  Qantas would still be my first choice though.  No idea whether they’d only be business class but the Perth/Darwin non stop flights have the usual mix including economy so I don’t see why the new ones would be any different. 

I though Syd - Lon was meant to be premium economy minimum with majority bus class...it's another 4 hours on from Perth?

They mothballed themselves during the pandemic and passengers relied on other countries' subsidised airlines to get themselves onto emergency international flights.   They've always been ok domestically and have done very well financially out of the pandemic....but they took furlough and still made 2500 redundant.   What it has done is force them to increase domestic routes to compete with smaller regional airlines who have expanded massively during the last 2 years....even Merimbula is going to get Qantas jets landing fairly soon which is great news for their economy, but maybe their real plan is just to get rid of Rex, Alliance and Jetstar competition who showed all the initiative to open these routes up during border closure....then close the routes again as unprofitable when they've killed the competitors.  

Never had a problem with Qantas domestically in CBR, turn up 10 mins before and waltz on like you're catching a bus, but it's the politician route so they try harder to make a good impression.  Never charged me for swapping flights, they'd often stick an extra bag on, and the staff are far better than Virgin.

Whether or not Qantas can match the most competitive international airlines for quality is another matter, but the same as people who would only ever catch the BA 11 flight...a lot depends on blind loyalty and faith without questioning whether it's the best option.  Qantas will have to go some to regain passenger loyalty internationally when they abandoned their routes and did not try and keep vital travel lanes open, losing nearly 90% of the market to foreign airlines.  A lot of those passengers won't give Qantas the business again, especially if they can't offer the same quality for the same price.

• Like 1

I would rather pay my money to Qantas than the brutal middle eastern countries who have no regard for human rights.

• Like 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

I would rather pay my money to Qantas than the brutal middle eastern countries who have no regard for human rights.

Fair point, I’d never thought of it that way. I’ve no interest in their non stop flight though, I need my mid flight break

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Is that all of them?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beketamun said:

weather has been wonderful the last few days, warm, cloudless and crystal clear views for 50 miles.  I like it when the summer haze disappears, not that there's been as much heat this season.

Yep a very weird ‘summer’ 

7 hours ago, Parley said:

You do know that Qantas and Emirates are in partnership don't you parley? I've been on an Emirates flight which is also a Qantas flight before. Air New Zealand maybe?

• Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

I've got my second brew on for the year.

Coopers amber ale

Coopers bookmakers pale ale is very drinkable. Nice drop actually.

Been for three rides and two long walks this long weekend. Southern UK is a truly beautiful place. We did actually get a splatter of rain yesterday, but barely enough to wet the ground. I am going to have to buy a new Fitbit soon. The old one still works, but it has a cracked screen and the strap is held together with a hair band. But I don't really see the need to replace it while it still works. I'll probably get another Fitbit rather than the cheaper copies as I want to keep using the app. They do cost more, but some of the cheaper alternatives aren't that great.

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Air New Zealand may be a better bet then if consistent and human rights is really the issue. 

28 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Air New Zealand may be a better bet then if consistent and human rights is really the issue. 

Better airline too. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, newjez said:

Been for three rides and two long walks this long weekend. Southern UK is a truly beautiful place. We did actually get a splatter of rain yesterday, but barely enough to wet the ground. I am going to have to buy a new Fitbit soon. The old one still works, but it has a cracked screen and the strap is held together with a hair band. But I don't really see the need to replace it while it still works. I'll probably get another Fitbit rather than the cheaper copies as I want to keep using the app. They do cost more, but some of the cheaper alternatives aren't that great.

Get a Garmin Fenix. They are great.

I can safely say I did not get Covid  … 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bottie said:

Thank goodness for that Bottie! x

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

24 minutes ago, Bottie said:

Really pleased for you 

• Like 1

I know no one will care but…

I Tested positive for Covid yesterday and now I’m stuck in isolation for 7 days. Really mild so far and I have no idea where I might have caught it, I suppose it could be anywhere. After a few years reading about it you worry a bit, but so far it’s a very mild cold, maybe due to the three vaccines I got, who knows.

• Sad 4

:evilface_frowning_s

23 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I know no one will care but…

I Tested positive for Covid yesterday and now I’m stuck in isolation for 7 days. Really mild so far and I have no idea where I might have caught it, I suppose it could be anywhere. After a few years reading about it you worry a bit, but so far it’s a very mild cold, maybe due to the three vaccines I got, who knows.

Get well soon 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/04/2022 at 22:59, welljock said:

To be fair if you said what does "MH mean" I wouldn't have a clue, despite the fact that my whole family very aware of mental health issues.

If I was asked my answer would be "Malaysian Airlines". As in MH370.

Of course one of the theories around the disappearance did involve one of the pilots having a Mental Health issue but I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

On 25/04/2022 at 17:56, HappyHeart said:

How irresponsible. Hope you stay well. My triple jabbed daughter is feeling like death warmed up however she does live with a chronic condition that perhaps makes her more susceptible. When the kids are sniffing and sneezing (which is often) I try to avoid kisses. My 3 yr old granddaughter was very unwell for 24-48 hours and now on the mend. 

Irresponsible? Seeking an early inherritance? It's a fine line and impossible to prove in court.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

On 03/05/2022 at 01:03, Parley said:

Get a Garmin Fenix. They are great.

There are lots of good copies, some not so good, but I'll get a Fitbit if they are reasonably priced, and they work well, as I have all the app history. Plus my current Fitbit has lasted about seven years.

Please could someone remind me how to post photographs on here … 

9 minutes ago, Bottie said:

Please could someone remind me how to post photographs on here … 

Click on choose files when you post and select your photo.

• Like 1