Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Funny, when living with cancer, you always think, whenever you buy something, will it be the last time I buy that? Well, I've had to buy another pair of bloody walking boots. After two years and two months of walking twenty five miles a week, my north face walking shoes have given up the ghost. Soles wearing thin, and holes appearing in the upper. So I bit the bullet and bought a pair of merrells this time. Cross between a walking shoe and trail runner. Orange. At least until they get some mud on them. Very light and very comfy. 

• Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

I’m still lying in a hospital bed. Cannot wait to go home. Hopefully today. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I’m still lying in a hospital bed. Cannot wait to go home. Hopefully today. 

How are you feeling?  Hope you do get home today.   💥

• Like 2

Happy New Year everyone.... May 2022 be kinder to us all!   Sorry to be a bit late in my message, but I have had a very busy time with house guests from out of town, so no time for social media for a week.  

• Like 5

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

1 hour ago, Rossmoyne said:

Happy New Year everyone.... May 2022 be kinder to us all!   Sorry to be a bit late in my message, but I have had a very busy time with house guests from out of town, so no time for social media for a week.  

Happy New Year xM

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am very happy to be home today and starting my recovery journey in familiar and comfortable surroundings. Very thankful for all the supportive people in my life and my family for looking after me. Never felt so unwell. I realise I've been lucky to reach mid 40s with no real health issues. Surgery and illness is no fun at all and I have no idea how long term patients cope. Who knew such a minor organ coukd cause such major problems. Our bodies are amazing but vulnerable. A big lesson in empathy for me. Thanks to all who have wished me well. 😘

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 10

On 02/01/2022 at 13:14, newjez said:

What causes gall bladder problems?

The gastroenterologist who did my ERCP said it was mainly genetic factors in my case. The kind of bile that forms stones. Up to now I've been fit and well  a part from menstrual related issues and a bit of osteoarthritis (also genetic). I've eaten extremely healthily for the past 7 years plus, I'm active, a healthy weight, I don't smoke. I've taken the contraceptive pill for decades until very recently and that's also a risk factor apparently. I'm female, white, in my 40s all risk factors. I have been overweight in the past and rapid weight loss can be a factor. I've lost and gained weight several times in the past. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 10:23, Skani said:

Wishing you all the best!    Been there, done that 😩 - although I was able to have the duct stones removed the next day in same hospital.   At least it will be a relief afterwards not being terrified of eating anything for fear of excruciating pain .

....in W. A.   If I had to be hospitalised at the moment that would be my state of choice .  🙄

Judging by my experience anyone getting in after COVID hits is in real trouble. I'm lucky I got in when I did. 

On 03/01/2022 at 06:01, Skani said:

The gallbladder produces bile to help digest fats but  some substances in the bile can harden into stones.  Most adults would probably have a few but they are so small they don't cause a problem.  However some become so large that they block the bile leaving the gallbladder and get stuck in the bile duct leading to the intestine.  That's what causes the pain.  The first pain episode I had started in my chest and  was so severe I thought I was having a heart attack - and called an ambulance!.   Some women describe it as being as painful as childbirth.  It is more common in women - which suggests there may be a hormonal association with stones forming  - over 40s and pregnancy.  

My first attack I did seriously  think it was a heart attack. 10/10 pain and couldn't sit still or get any relief. Then just like that it disappeared. On Christmas Day I had my 2nd severe episode. Then one every day till NYE when I called an ambulance after 3 hours with no sign of it easing. As well I did as I was heading into liver failure. I think it's a lesson to listen to your body and gut feelings. Had I not gone to the GP in Nov with vague feelings of being not quite right I'd never have known I had gallstones. Apparently mine was absolutely full of small stones. 3 had actually blocked my bile duct and that wasn't picked up till after my operation. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

My first attack I did seriously  think it was a heart attack. 10/10 pain and couldn't sit still or get any relief. Then just like that it disappeared. On Christmas Day I had my 2nd severe episode. Then one every day till NYE when I called an ambulance after 3 hours with no sign of it easing. As well I did as I was heading into liver failure. I think it's a lesson to listen to your body and gut feelings. Had I not gone to the GP in Nov with vague feelings of being not quite right I'd never have known I had gallstones. Apparently mine was absolutely full of small stones. 3 had actually blocked my bile duct and that wasn't picked up till after my operation. 

well that sounds terrifying!  I'm glad you were able to get the care you needed.  Good luck for your recovery.

• Thanks 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Feliz dia de Reyes 

Happy kings day.

On 06/01/2022 at 19:07, HappyHeart said:

I am very happy to be home today and starting my recovery journey in familiar and comfortable surroundings. Very thankful for all the supportive people in my life and my family for looking after me. Never felt so unwell. I realise I've been lucky to reach mid 40s with no real health issues. Surgery and illness is no fun at all and I have no idea how long term patients cope. Who knew such a minor organ coukd cause such major problems. Our bodies are amazing but vulnerable. A big lesson in empathy for me. Thanks to all who have wished me well. 😘

Glad to hear you are home and on the mend.  I have a couple of friends who went through last year, and I know how awful it can be.   Concentrate on recovery HH

• Thanks 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Day 3 of Summernats complete and now with the throngs at the Braddon Festival.  So many foreign accents from the crowd lining up at Messina for sorbet/ice cream/gelato, you’d hardly know which country it is.  Going to be one hell of a night!

This place exists.

Screenshot_20220108-110555_Maps~2.jpg

On a slightly lighter note

First I must state that my husband definitely does not have a hearing problem as far as he is concerned 

i cooked a pork fillet for supper last night, and afterwards said.

‘Must buy another pork fillet next time we go to Aldi’

my husband said ‘what’

Me  ‘ Must buy another pork fillet   next time in Aldi’  slightly louder 

Husband ‘ why? I don’t understand why we need another fork!!!!!!’ 

Me ‘ p not f. PORK’

This so reminded me of the 2 Ronnie’s sketch that it’s almost funny  😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Bulya said:

Day 3 of Summernats complete and now with the throngs at the Braddon Festival.  So many foreign accents from the crowd lining up at Messina for sorbet/ice cream/gelato, you’d hardly know which country it is.  Going to be one hell of a night!

Bloody noisy night it was too! Bah humbug!!!!!

34 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Bloody noisy night it was too! Bah humbug!!!!!

Braddon Festival.  We left at 8:30 pm, a long day.  I’ve just spent an interesting morning talking to the Dutch fertiliser company Canna at Summernats, some very interesting products.  

Day 8 post op. Had a massive sleepathon last night. 11 hours plus?! Must need it?

Felt awesome this morning so cleaned kitchen. Now relegated to the couch again. How tough is pacing yourself? How on earth do people manage with chronic Ill health and major surgery. 

Ate some naughty foods last night and so far so good. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bulya said:

Braddon Festival.  We left at 8:30 pm, a long day.  I’ve just spent an interesting morning talking to the Dutch fertiliser company Canna at Summernats, some very interesting products.  

That sounds very dull lol. Fertiliser? 

• Haha 1

On 07/01/2022 at 19:37, Rossmoyne said:

Glad to hear you are home and on the mend.  I have a couple of friends who went through last year, and I know how awful it can be.   Concentrate on recovery HH

Many thanks. Not a great thing to deal with but fairly common I think. They say about 10% develop gallstones and hereditary factors at play. I have to say my gut has always been my Achilles heel, my Mothers too. 

2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Many thanks. Not a great thing to deal with but fairly common I think. They say about 10% develop gallstones and hereditary factors at play. I have to say my gut has always been my Achilles heel, my Mothers too. 

Have you ever watched "two doors down"? The first one I ever saw was the gall bladder one. Very amusing. Not sure if you get it over there.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

Have you ever watched "two doors down"? The first one I ever saw was the gall bladder one. Very amusing. Not sure if you get it over there.

No but I’ll have to look it up now 

6 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

No but I’ll have to look it up now 

It is quite funny. Very Scottish.

Paper whites are already in flower.

Rest of the daffs are coming up.

It's been bloody freezing though, although strangely there have been some warm days.

another suspicious bush fire in Wooroloo on Sunday afternoon … I won’t say what their punishment should be when / if caught … 

• Sad 3