Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

29 minutes ago, Toots said:

Traditionally, Hogmanay/New Years Day was celebrated more than Christmas in Scotland.  Not so much nowadays.  Christmas was only officially recognised as a public holiday in Scotland in 1958.  The 2nd of Jan is a public holiday there.  Many Scots all over the world still celebrate Hogmany big time.  😀

Definitely!   Hogmanay was always far, far more important in our family.  I can honestly say that from about 2 years of age until a few years ago, I had always been awake to ring in the New Year. 

When I was little, Mum used to put us all to bed early, then we'd be wakened at about 10 and dressed up to the nines in our best party frocks to see in the New Year.  We used to get lots of first footers and my Dad would go out and first foot the neighbours too.  It was never a riotous party though, as it can be elsewhere in Scotland - always a genteel family affair with the children involved as well. 

When I was an adult, I'd be sure to go to some kind of party or, in my early days in Sydney before it got too crowded, go to the harbour to view the fireworks. The big RSL's in Sydney could also be relied upon to have good New Year's parties. Sadly, there isn't a real equivalent in Melbourne - the parties all seem to be for young people - so we've had quiet Hogmanays since we've been in Melbourne.  My Aussie oh can't understand why it's so important to me and he heads off to bed, leaving me to doggedly watch the TV celebrations - and a few times recently, I've given in as well.  So my record of always seeing in the New Year has been broken.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Definitely!   Hogmanay was always far, far more important in our family.  I can honestly say that from about 2 years of age until a few years ago, I had always been awake to ring in the New Year. 

When I was little, Mum used to put us all to bed early, then we'd be wakened at about 10 and dressed up to the nines in our best party frocks to see in the New Year.  We used to get lots of first footers and my Dad would go out and first foot the neighbours too.  It was never a riotous party though, as it can be elsewhere in Scotland - always a genteel family affair with the children involved as well. 

When I was an adult, I'd be sure to go to some kind of party or, in my early days in Sydney before it got too crowded, go to the harbour to view the fireworks. The big RSL's in Sydney could also be relied upon to have good New Year's parties. Sadly, there isn't a real equivalent in Melbourne - the parties all seem to be for young people - so we've had quiet Hogmanays since we've been in Melbourne.  My Aussie oh can't understand why it's so important to me and he heads off to bed, leaving me to doggedly watch the TV celebrations - and a few times recently, I've given in as well.  So my record of always seeing in the New Year has been broken.

That sounds like whole lot of fun. 

So now 2022,  what have you got for us?  Your predecessor who arrived 12 months ago has not lived up to expectations and as we speak, is sneaking down the back stairs and headed for the car park, in disgrace. 

2022.... its up to you.     

• Like 1

Most years we have had  a New Year’s Day lunch party, have missed out the last 3 years for various reasons, so have 16 here tomorrow, I do a lot of the food, but everyone brings something, always a nice way to welcome the New Year.

The weather is awful here on the coast, and it will be inside for the first time ever. Have to laugh, we bought a large outdoor umbrella to give more shade. It’s rained almost every day since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Traditionally, Hogmanay/New Years Day was celebrated more than Christmas in Scotland.  Not so much nowadays.  Christmas was only officially recognised as a public holiday in Scotland in 1958.  The 2nd of Jan is a public holiday there.  Many Scots all over the world still celebrate Hogmany big time.  😀

My grandparents and mother came to England in 1944, but always returned to Glasgow for Hogmanay.  I asked my dad if he wanted to go up one year, but then we realised we're the only ones left and neither of us were born in Scotland !

I miss the Scottish part of the family...I remember going up for a cousin's 21st and they had a bagpiper who piped the birthday cake through every room in the house and we all had to follow in a procession.   It wouldn't have been so funny if we weren't all blind drunk, including the birthday girl.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Almost exactly the same in our house at Hogmany.  We were away up in the hills on a farm so we went at about 10 pm to our aunt and uncle's house in the village.  My uncle was a very gregarious man and he welcomed everyone in the village to the house.  On New Years day there was a dance in the village hall.  Learned all the dances from an early age  ....... Strip the Willow, Gay Gordons, Dashing White Sergeant, Eighthsome Reel and others.  Such great fun.  All ages participated.

58 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

My gallstones are killing me. I’ve had 5 attacks since Christmas Day 

Awful thing to suffer from.  Hope you don't have to wait long to have it out.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

Awful thing to suffer from.  Hope you don't have to wait long to have it out.

I’m on the wait list. Diagnosed last month but don’t have hospital cover. Kicking myself as it’d be out by now. 

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Most years we have had  a New Year’s Day lunch party, have missed out the last 3 years for various reasons, so have 16 here tomorrow, I do a lot of the food, but everyone brings something, always a nice way to welcome the New Year.

The weather is awful here on the coast, and it will be inside for the first time ever. Have to laugh, we bought a large outdoor umbrella to give more shade. It’s rained almost every day since.

We watch the Sydney midnight fireworks at 11pm here, and then off to bed 

The one thing I will remember about 2021 is a beautiful little girl saying …

“ my name is Cleo “ 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bottie said:

The one thing I will remember about 2021 is a beautiful little girl saying …

“ my name is Cleo “ 

I remember that as well with fond memories, and with great accolades for the WA Police in finding Cleo.

That particular event also acts as a a reminder, that we also need to take stock for the future. 

We still tolerate the usual fringe communities established at the edge of many towns where, for instance, single males capable of working, yet they are supplied with state housing and the dole for years and years, never, ever having to ever apply for a job or to make any contribution to Medicare or otherwise generally. Keeping a low profile and a life of a recluse out on the fringe of the town, Terence Darrell Kelly was well and truly off the radar in relation to the town Police. 

• Like 2

Power of the dog - absolute load of rubbish

Lost daughter - weird, but not in a good way

Don't look up - it was ok

Spiderman - kids loved it. It was ok

Hawkstone lager - Jeremy Clarkson - it's ok actually

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Arise Sir Tony Blair.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Arise Sir Tony Blair.

Unbelievable, 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Unbelievable, 

Knighthoods are handed out like sweets these days.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Toots said:

Knighthoods are handed out like sweets these days.  

He was Prime Minister who won 3 general elections. How many do that?

18 minutes ago, Parley said:

Can't stand the man but I'm sure people on high think he's wonderful and deserves his knighthood.

Jimmy Saville and Robert Mugabe were also knighted but I believe Mugabe's was cancelled.  Not so Saville's.

5 minutes ago, Toots said:

Can't stand the man but I'm sure people on high think he's wonderful and deserves his knighthood.

Jimmy Saville and Robert Mugabe were also knighted but I believe Mugabe's was cancelled.  Not so Saville's.

In what way are you comparing Tony Blair to Jimmy Saville and Robert Mugabe?

17 minutes ago, Parley said:

In what way are you comparing Tony Blair to Jimmy Saville and Robert Mugabe?

I'm not comparing Blair with Saville and Mugabe.  Just saying every man and his dog seems to receive a knighthood.  Really nothing very special now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Toots said:

These were the Queen's honours and the popular choices, not the Government's, which is when the arms dealers, covid bribers and brexit liars will get there's. 

Blair got Order of the Garter, which is small group of the very best and brightest...I am assuming he turned down a Lordship because he'd have had one years ago if he wanted one.  Valerie Amos also got in, the first black woman in 700 years which is significant.

Profs Whitty and Van Tam both got normal knighthood, which is some recognition for all the crap they've had to deal with, including dealing with the hopeless Government.  Whitty already has a higher honour though, so maybe this actually is a personal thank you from the Queen....he was treated badly by these traitorous "anti-everything" dogs on UK streets, accosted quite a few times, and he's been trying to prop up a jelly of a Prime Minister.

June Raine of the vaccine regulator is a good choice as a Dame....Dr Jenny Harries's  is a bit mystifying as she was useless and did more harm than good with some absolute bullshit statements.  Maybe they just couldn't leave her out and are going to pension her off.

• Haha 2

On 30/12/2021 at 16:53, HappyHeart said:

There's not much else left to discuss as politics is basically life. 

Absolutely. In one form or another most everything is politically influenced in one form or another. 

• Like 2

Many countries have a new years amnisty where they release political and non violent prisoners.

Just saying 😂

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Thing about Saville was his antics were well known by numerous people, yet he got away with it. Too big to touch? Too influential in who he knew and how many in power, consider simply a little harmless 'fun' anyway? You may recall word going around with regards to an alleged pedophile sex ring within Parliament. Never see the light of day obviously. 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Three times the public got it wrong. What with gerrymandering and what have you not that hard to 'pull' an election. Especially if the likes of Dirty Digger Murdoch covering your back.

20 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I remember that as well with fond memories, and with great accolades for the WA Police in finding Cleo.

That particular event also acts as a a reminder, that we also need to take stock for the future. 

We still tolerate the usual fringe communities established at the edge of many towns where, for instance, single males capable of working, yet they are supplied with state housing and the dole for years and years, never, ever having to ever apply for a job or to make any contribution to Medicare or otherwise generally. Keeping a low profile and a life of a recluse out on the fringe of the town, Terence Darrell Kelly was well and truly off the radar in relation to the town Police. 

Yes this is true. But there is some serious issues going 'undetected' by apparent middle class professionals , under an air of utter respectability, with some lucre being made and nothing apparently can stop it.