Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Just now, HappyHeart said:

Oh dear. Put me on ignore if I annoy you so much. I believe male, pale and stale was the terminology I used and not directly to wards you rather if the cap fits. So sensitive. 

So offensive more like it. 

7 minutes ago, newjez said:

There weren't any at the time. Not that I knew anyways. Wasn't until I started work in Perth that I met my first person from the Indian subcontinent, and that was early nineties.

I don’t think I was quoting you? I was asking Parley unless I got my quotes mixed up. I lived in an area heavily populated by Pakistanis and other Asian Indian backgrounds. 

1 minute ago, Dusty Plains said:

So offensive more like it. 

Well I think you’ve made your point in several posts since so moving on. My intention was never to personally offend you or any other pale male on PIO of which there are many. 

Back on track.

4 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Oh dear. Put me on ignore if I annoy you so much. I believe male, pale and stale was the terminology I used and not directly to wards you rather if the cap fits. So sensitive. 

No excuses. 

Just now, Dusty Plains said:

No excuses. 

Ok Parley. Are you brothers? I’m certainly not making excuses. I stand by my comments. Get over yourself

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

Ok Parley. Are you brothers? I’m certainly not making excuses. I stand by my comments. Get over yourself

Brilliant reply. Its the fault of everyone else apparently. Well no its not. Try harder. Apologise.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I don’t think I was quoting you? I was asking Parley unless I got my quotes mixed up. I lived in an area heavily populated by Pakistanis and other Asian Indian backgrounds. 

Yes, now there are a lot of people from the Indian subcontinent. But at the time, at least in Perth, it was pretty unusual. Apart from the cricket team obviously. I guess that's why no one assumed it was racist, as there wasn't anyone to be racist to at the time. Vietnamese, sure. But not the Indian subcontinent. I don't even think there was an Indian restaurant.

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

13 hours ago, Parley said:

How do you know?

I taught in a large school in Yorkshire which had a 12% ethnic intake.  Whenever an altercation between pupils was investigated it was invariably because someone had called someone else a Paki.  I wonder when you left the UK Parley because this has been an offensive name for decades and there is no way someone like Michael Vaughan would have unaware of its impact.

• Like 4

On 08/11/2021 at 19:28, Bulya said:

How is flying your national flag St George's cross seen as being racist then?

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 1

Just a little reminder that this is a thread for lighthearted topics , can we all agree to disagree if necessary and let the thread get back to what its intended for please.

Thanks

Cal x

• Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

18 hours ago, calNgary said:

Just a little reminder that this is a thread for lighthearted topics , can we all agree to disagree if necessary and let the thread get back to what its intended for please.

Thanks

Cal x

Just re - posting as it seems some missed this.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

On 09/11/2021 at 08:01, Dusty Plains said:

Yet Aussie, Brit, Swede, Saffa, Indi, Scot, ARE banter, even terms of endearment in some circumstances. We see these terms commonly on PIO as they are merely abbreviations.  They are not racist terms as they refer to a person's nationality and not their race, necessarily.

It is an over-reaction.

Not the same meanings in UK. Paki is offensive in UK and refers to anyone of South Asian appearance whether from Sri Lanka, Mauritius, India, Nepal and indeed Pakistan. Paki bashing being once a fairly common term among racist skin heads (not all skins are racist) and uneducated simpletons. You would need to understand the English context and landscape to get a true 'feeling' of intent of the word.  The closet I can think of in Australian terms would be the "B' word usually derogatory towards First Nation people but at times applied to anyone with a black skin, or perhaps "Leb" in describing anyone of a Middle East appearance. 

On 09/11/2021 at 13:00, simmo said:

The virtue signalling of (mainly) white people getting offended on others behalf is a bit tiresome but my view is if someone says please don't referr to me using a particular term we should respect that.  The caveat is that this doesn't automatically make the term offensive or the person that used it racist.

In a certain context it shows at minimum insensitivity. I've seen Aussie press refer to Pakistan cricket team as Paki's, probably quite innocently not being aware of the English slur. It need not be a slur in the Australian context at all. Calling it out for what it is , is but that. In England it carries overtures. 

On 09/11/2021 at 18:13, HappyHeart said:

You would if you’d grown up in an area heavily populated with Pakistani born or heritage where it was definitely used in a derogatory way. I’m certain the Pakistani’s didn’t feel it was a term of endearment. 

They most certainly did not find it a term of endearment. I wonder if some on here think the South Europeans found Wog, Ding and Dago words of welcome in the Aussie context when these terms were of everyday use? Similar with the term Paki in England. 

On 10/11/2021 at 08:01, Toots said:

I'm old enough to remember in the late 1960s and in the 1970s violent gangs opposed to immigration took part in attacks known as "Paki-bashing" which targeted and assaulted Pakistanis and businesses owned by them.  I've never liked the word Paki.  It reminds me of those days when racists used it in a derogatory way. 

Exactly. I recall the term used frequently in the seventies in England. Although that was little I suppose compared to being spat at, (including Asian girls) and bashed and so on. 

On 10/11/2021 at 08:16, Parley said:

So it seems Paki is fine to be used everywhere other than in the UK where for some strange reason it is a slur.

I suppose a bit like the word Pom. Not seen as derogatory in the normal sense in Australia. Once in England working for an agency a tough sort of English bloke said to me in Australia they call us Poms, don't they? He then went on to confirm if an Aussie ever called him a Pom he'd get his head kicked in. Different places different strokes. 

I've just noticed the decree from moderator about light hearted topics so will make no further comment on that matter. 

Edited by Blue Flu

2 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Macron is in deep do-do in the French polls. So what does short man with a chronic Bonaparte complex do?  He blames everyone else because they are bigger than he. 

Meanwhile Boris is riding a crest of popularity?  Perhaps not. I suspect a general disengagement of people from their political leaders across the board in most countries. All Clueless how to turn the tide. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

A ban on French letters, perhaps? 

Just to show no hard feelings rename them French Frangers. 

21 hours ago, newjez said:

Yes, now there are a lot of people from the Indian subcontinent. But at the time, at least in Perth, it was pretty unusual. Apart from the cricket team obviously. I guess that's why no one assumed it was racist, as there wasn't anyone to be racist to at the time. Vietnamese, sure. But not the Indian subcontinent. I don't even think there was an Indian restaurant.

Star of India I think it was called in West Perth in seventies. But few and far between. There was some Indian students at the Uni , perhaps a couple of dozen at most. But your right, first Viets came into Perth in !977 to a not very friendly welcome although individuals went out of their way to be welcoming. 

10 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Just to show no hard feelings rename them French Frangers. 

Is the EU now a French Condominium?

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Toots said:

Aussie submarines and now Valneva's vaccine.  What next for the French?  🤨

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59240345

Interesting that the French are looking for compensation.  I don’t remember any compensation for Astra Zeneca when the French and others exaggerated their claims that the AZ vaccine caused deaths.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Interesting that the French are looking for compensation.  I don’t remember any compensation for Astra Zeneca when the French and others exaggerated their claims that the AZ vaccine caused deaths.

How is that exaggerated?  AZ has caused deaths.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.