Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

Having breakfast at Cap’n Joe in Phillip after my 6 monthly with my nephrologist.  I’m going to have a silly grin on my face for days!

• Like 3

Huge race scandal ATM in UK cricket with Yorkshire suspended from hosting any England games for the foreseeable future 

1 hour ago, Red Rose said:

Huge race scandal ATM in UK cricket with Yorkshire suspended from hosting any England games for the foreseeable future 

Apparently calling people paki in England is ‘banter’.  

• Haha 1

It appears that Amazon must have bought up loads of older BBC drama circa 1990 to 20010 as it's loaded with it today so Britbox won't get a look in at my place. Just search BBC if you've got Amazon.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

15 hours ago, Bulya said:

Apparently calling people paki in England is ‘banter’.  

Yet Aussie, Brit, Swede, Saffa, Indi, Scot, ARE banter, even terms of endearment in some circumstances. We see these terms commonly on PIO as they are merely abbreviations.  They are not racist terms as they refer to a person's nationality and not their race, necessarily.

It is an over-reaction.

Edited by Dusty Plains

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

Yet Aussie, Brit, Swede, Saffa, Indi, Scot, ARE banter, even terms of endearment in some circumstances. We see these terms commonly on PIO as they are merely abbreviations.  They are not racist terms as they refer to a person's nationality and not their race, necessarily.

It is an over-reaction.

Whitesplaining 

• Like 1

I'm an Aussie. Don't see anything wrong with Paki.

• Like 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

The virtue signalling of (mainly) white people getting offended on others behalf is a bit tiresome but my view is if someone says please don't referr to me using a particular term we should respect that.  The caveat is that this doesn't automatically make the term offensive or the person that used it racist.

Edited by simmo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

It is an over-reaction.

I don’t think calling anyone an Aussie or a Brit is offensive whereas in the UK at least calling someone a Pakki is racist and derogatory.  It doesn’t even refer to the person’s nationality as anyone from the Indian sub continent can be referred to as a Pakki.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I don’t think calling anyone an Aussie or a Brit is offensive whereas in the UK at least calling someone a Pakki is racist and derogatory.  It doesn’t even refer to the person’s nationality as anyone from the Indian sub continent can be referred to as a Pakki.

40 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

calling someone a Pakki is racist and derogatory.

What race is a Pakistani person?  

6 hours ago, Parley said:

You would if you’d grown up in an area heavily populated with Pakistani born or heritage where it was definitely used in a derogatory way. I’m certain the Pakistani’s didn’t feel it was a term of endearment. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

What race is a Pakistani person?  

It's just been explained that in the UK, "Paki" does not refer to a Pakistani person.  It's used to refer, in a derogatory way, to anyone from the Indian sub-continent.  

Personally, it annoys me that words which should be harmless have been turned into insults.  "Paki" is an example - as you say, if words like "aussie" and "pom" are fine, why not "Paki"?   "Gypsy" is another - I have a friend who's a gypsy and proud of it.  Yet my American friends recoil in horror if I dare use it, apparently it's only used as a racist slur over there. 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Just to add that I have no problem referring to myself as a Brit just as I suspect those of you who are Australian would happily call yourself Aussies, but no one of Pakistani heritage would call themselves Paki.  

• Like 5

When Australia played Pakistan in cricket, the media always referred to them as the Pakis and they had no problem with it.

17 hours ago, Parley said:

The question is, if you called it someone and they told you it they didn't like it and thought it racist and derogatory would you stop using it or continue to say "I don't see anything wrong with it" despite knowing it had caused offense?

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

6 minutes ago, ali said:

The question is, if you called it someone and they told you it they didn't like it and thought it racist and derogatory would you stop using it or continue to say "I don't see anything wrong with it" despite knowing it had caused offense?

If it offended i wouldn't say it, and i don't say it anyway. But i don't really understand how an abbreviation can be offensive.

I wonder if someone from Pakistan does think it is offensive or it is other people saying they are offended on their behalf.

Do people from West Indies get offended if their cricket team are call the Windies?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Just to add that I have no problem referring to myself as a Brit just as I suspect those of you who are Australian would happily call yourself Aussies, but no one of Pakistani heritage would call themselves Paki.  

How do you know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ali said:

Of course. Any reasonable person should stop using an abbreviation of another person's nationality if it offends that particular person. However, its not racism. We are actually talking about ethnicity (which includes nationality, culture and language) and how a minor matter should have been corrected, in the scheme of things, relating to ethnicity, shut down a major cricket club.

I think its a UK thing to be honest.  In relation to the issue in the UK, where is the greater offense? Is it the person who took offense to the abbreviation of his nationality? Or is the person who was called a racist because of it, and therefore equally entitled to be offended?

54 minutes ago, Parley said:

But i don't really understand how an abbreviation can be offensive.

It's not the abbreviation itself which is offensive but the fact that the word was often used in a derogatory context in the UK.  In Australia it's been used in the normal Aussie way of abbreviating any name - without the derogatory connotation.  But I don't know whether the Pakistan team were comfortable with that or just didn't want to raise the issue.  The Australian equivalents are words like coon, wog and dago which have been used  in a  negative and derogatory manner in the past.

4 minutes ago, Skani said:

It's not the abbreviation itself which is offensive but the fact that the word was often used in a derogatory context in the UK.  In Australia it's been used in the normal Aussie way of abbreviating any name - without the derogatory connotation.  But I don't know whether the Pakistan team were comfortable with that or just didn't want to raise the issue.  The Australian equivalents are words like coon, wog and dago which have been used  in a  negative and derogatory manner in the past.

Those words are not simple abbreviations of someone's nationality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

When Australia played Pakistan in cricket, the media always referred to them as the Pakis and they had no problem with it.

I always understood it that people from Pakistan didn't have an issue with it. It was a particular slur used by English people against Pakistani people living in the UK.

But we are a global world now.

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

20 minutes ago, Skani said:

I still think changing the name of coon cheese was very silly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to have a boss called Mike Cockhead. Lovely man, unfortunate name, but I always thought the greater shame was that his family didn't make cheese.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

How many did you ask?