Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

6 hours ago, ramot said:

I stopped drinking 4 years ago as I have a heart condition, just best to avoid alcohol and caffeine. I was never much of a drinker so I don’t miss it. What I don’t understand is that it seems to bother people that I don’t drink. If I could have a dollar for the times someone has said ‘one drink won’t hurt you!!’ I could be rich. One day I will say, ‘well don’t you think you shouldn’t have another drink as that’s your 4th, for example, and it won’t be doing your health any good, so it might hurt you’.

My husband stopped drinking alcohol 18 months ago.  He has been very surprised at the variety and quality of non alcoholic beer available in England, both in the supermarket and in pubs, with some  pubs even having  it on tap. According to him the taste is excellent.

12 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Finally back and up and about after removal of "many stones" from my prostate. Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as 3 days after finishing antibiotics the UTI returns and I'm back to nighttime frequency and never passing more than 80 mils day or night. What indignities did I just suffer for nil result! I actually dreamed about my catheter bag bursting at visiting time!......................sorry, too much information! 🙄😃

Then, 2 days after discharge, I arose one morning to find that I could hardly walk more than 3 paces without experiencing horrendous pain in my rt hip. GP sent me for an x ray and ultrasound, prescribed prodeine forte, and rang me after getting results saying that he couldn't see anything 'profound" and that it was most likely to be something athritic and couldn't give me anti inflammatories due to a clash with my heart meds. 

I've suffered for 2 weeks and my pain killers ran out on Thursday but luckily the pain was almost non existent yesterday and today although it comes back if I am on my feet for more than  10 minutes. Anyone experienced similar and does it come good on it's own?

Initially it was that bad I nearly phoned an ambulance to take me to A and E and then I nearly decided to start smoking again as I've had that many health problems of late that I'm of the mind that if I'm on my way out I'm going to enjoy myself before I go so 😜 to "what is bad for you"

End of Grumpy Old Bastard rant 😀

Stick with the plan Kev, as long as it is YOUR plan. That's my best advice.

Be part of the broader health care system and not an outsider looking in.  I have felt that I was an outsider but once I embraced the system I felt more positive about the people within the system. If you are happy with your long-time GP, that may possibly be part of the problem. Just saying. 

Its often a fleeting arrangement between you and your doctor, but please follow the advice, nonetheless, and note whether such advice has been advantageous for you. That is the part of the arrangement that works for you, as only you can assess whether or not the "experiment" has assisted your circumstances. 

At our age, the health system experiments with us, to our advantage and not to our detriment. If you feel that the experiment is not working for you then  go back for a review so that the doctor, or another doctor, can assess how you have responded to the treatment, or how you need to have a plan B. It can be desperately difficult in doing so, but people like me see your issues because I have been there even though we have different health issues.

Like you, I was fairly depressed with my ongoing health strategy. It was not working for me over many horrible months and YES I went back to smoking and drinking for a short while. A big mistake on my part. Smoking and drinking got me here in the first place, so its not going to get me out again.

Don't panic mate. Just consider your options and perhaps seek other opinions. I have had a five by-pass operation (5 grafts)  last year so if I do not get it right then I wont see what 70 years old looks like. 

Be cheerful and positive. It absolutely works in your favour. 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Don't panic mate. Just consider your options and perhaps seek other opinions. I have had a five by-pass operation (5 grafts)  last year so if I do not get it right then I wont see what 70 years old looks like. 

I had a quad 10 yrs ago mate so you've got plenty of life in you yet. I hadn't smoked for 14 yrs prior to that, and in fact, I was never ill when I smoked but have had nothing but trouble long after I packed it in and I wasn't a heavy smoker either. Quad by-pass, Turps twice, both side hernia repairs, and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair all in the last 10yrs. The aneurism was a scary one as another couple of millimetres enlargement and it would have burst and I could have bled out before an ambulance arrived. I was dead lucky as they found it when I was scanned prior to the hernia op to see if I was fit for procedure. I get the feeling that I am on borrowed time so try to live life to the fullest but now this hip has me buggered and I can't walk far so pursuing my love of photography is out of the question but thank heavens I can still walk far enough down the boat ramp to go fishing.

Managed this feller Friday, my first outing for a while...................dontcha just love the colour!?246209110_10227582439366958_1071167575017356250_n.thumb.jpg.e70e083cb425d792284f4498f43b439a.jpg

• Like 2

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

38 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

I had a quad 10 yrs ago mate so you've got plenty of life in you yet. I hadn't smoked for 14 yrs prior to that, and in fact, I was never ill when I smoked but have had nothing but trouble long after I packed it in and I wasn't a heavy smoker either. Quad by-pass, Turps twice, both side hernia repairs, and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair all in the last 10yrs. The aneurism was a scary one as another couple of millimetres enlargement and it would have burst and I could have bled out before an ambulance arrived. I was dead lucky as they found it when I was scanned prior to the hernia op to see if I was fit for procedure. I get the feeling that I am on borrowed time so try to live life to the fullest but now this hip has me buggered and I can't walk far so pursuing my love of photography is out of the question but thank heavens I can still walk far enough down the boat ramp to go fishing.

Managed this feller Friday, my first outing for a while...................dontcha just love the colour!?246209110_10227582439366958_1071167575017356250_n.thumb.jpg.e70e083cb425d792284f4498f43b439a.jpg

Well done you, and a very nice colour indeed. Lure or bait? 

What a great catch.

You have been through the wringer, haven't you, and yet here you are.  You have popped out the other side and you can still catch fish and that will work in your favour.

I am still pretty active but I know when I have overdone things. Its not often but I have have the odd quiet personal moment when my body talks to me, usually when everyone else is having a great time and I am not. Is this the end I think? But then it subsides and I return to normal. I am sure you know what I mean. 

Best wishes to you Kev. I hope you have a better outcome, health-wise and that there are many fish with "Kev" written down their sides just waiting for you.   

@Johndoe, a good example of a yellowbelly. Used to get them in Glen Lyon and Copeton Dams, but not as well coloured as that one.

Odd, innit? When I gave up smoking in 1982 I felt good and never had problems. Now, at age 80, the high blood pressure is trying to slow me down...

Don't ever give up, mate. OK?

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

@Johndoe, a good example of a yellowbelly. Used to get them in Glen Lyon and Copeton Dams, but not as well coloured as that one.

Odd, innit? When I gave up smoking in 1982 I felt good and never had problems. Now, at age 80, the high blood pressure is trying to slow me down...

Don't ever give up, mate. OK?

Cheers, Bobj.

Get the right medication and ditch salt.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not as painful as that but I've had some pretty bad hip pain in the past and had x-rays etc., with a similar "nothing profound" result, except that the GP said there was no joint involvement, so not arthritis, just take pain killers.  What, forever?  

Apparently hip pain on the outer side of the hip is more likely to be caused by muscle, ligament or tendon problems than joint problems.  It's just possible it could be referred pain from your lower back - any history there?  

There's lots of videos on Youtube on "hip pain relief".  I found my hip was too painful to even attempt most of them, but I did find some that helped.  What helped me may not help you though, so I suggest having a look yourself and giving them a try.  good luck.

I might have mentioned that my husband loves chocolate in the past. He bought in 3 packets of mini chocolate treats,  tor trick or treat callers last night. We have never had many call in the past, so, apart from one family that I passed on my walk, and told them to call, no one came. Rather a lot of chocolate left over, I certainly don’t want to eat sweet sickly chocolate bars. I question his motive!

Out of interest our son who lives in Brisbane was here yesterday and he said that locally people had to register or something, before trick or treating, I didn’t really listen properly, or perhaps safe houses to visit registered?  

Before anyone jumps on the rights or wrongs of trick or treating, my 3 had great fun as children in a safe local environment plus a parent, but there are safety issues, and antisocial behaviour, which perhaps more prevalent these days. There are strong feelings probably both ways, but my husband will keep buying plenty of chocolate just in case!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I might have mentioned that my husband loves chocolate in the past. He bought in 3 packets of mini chocolate treats,  tor trick or treat callers last night. We have never had many call in the past, so, apart from one family that I passed on my walk, and told them to call, no one came. Rather a lot of chocolate left over, I certainly don’t want to eat sweet sickly chocolate bars. I question his motive!

Out of interest our son who lives in Brisbane was here yesterday and he said that locally people had to register or something, before trick or treating, I didn’t really listen properly, or perhaps safe houses to visit registered?  

Before anyone jumps on the rights or wrongs of trick or treating, my 3 had great fun as children in a safe local environment plus a parent, but there are safety issues, and antisocial behaviour, which perhaps more prevalent these days. There are strong feelings probably both ways, but my husband will keep buying plenty of chocolate just in case!!!

We had 3 lots of children round last night trick or treating.  Luckily we had some sweeties/choc to give them.  When I was a child we had to sing a song or recite a bit of poetry to receive a treat.  No one seem to do that now.  

Today on the north coast of Tassie it's a public holiday for 'Recreation Day'.  😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Lots of trick or treaters on the new side of our estate. No official registering required for houses to take part so not sure what your son means. I know some Facebook pages had 'trails' you could follow and asked those with houses decorated and taking part to register their address if they wanted to be listed but that's just local facebook pages.

Cal x

• Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

9 minutes ago, calNgary said:

. No official registering required for houses to take part so not sure what your son means. I know some Facebook pages had 'trails' you could follow and asked those with houses decorated and taking part to register their address if they wanted to be listed but that's just local facebook pages.

Cal x

That’s probably what he meant, thanks

• Like 2

Managed to get out this morning for a fish. Believe it or not, this is the first time I've ever taken a selfie and I've had this camera for 9 yrs!

51645193797_92385d5d0f_o.jpg45cm Golden Perch by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

51645193732_f4b35b1989_o.jpg50cm Bass by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

• Like 5

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Two good 'trophy ' freshies. Well done, that man!

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

Cleo Smith has been found alive and well … Police broke into a house in Carnarvon and found her … a man has been taken into custody … Cleo has been reunited with her parents … Amazing work by the WA police …

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Bottie said:

Cleo Smith has been found alive and well … Police broke into a house in Carnarvon and found her … a man has been taken into custody … Cleo has been reunited with her parents … Amazing work by the WA police …

It is wonderful news. I just hope that bastard who took her hasn't been sexually abusing her.

• Like 4

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

22 minutes ago, Parley said:

It is wonderful news. I just hope that bastard who took her hasn't been sexually abusing her.

The report says she was found alive and well so I really hope that means she wasn’t harmed.  She was quickly returned to her mum too so that gives more hope all is ok   I’ve been following the case and it is the best news.   She will be traumatised though, bless her heart.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

The report says she was found alive and well so I really hope that means she wasn’t harmed.  She was quickly returned to her mum too so that gives more hope all is ok   I’ve been following the case and it is the best news.   She will be traumatised though, bless her heart.  

I heard on the news the man who took her was seen buying nappies in the supermarket and he does not have children … not sure if this is true …

3 minutes ago, Bottie said:

I heard on the news the man who took her was seen buying nappies in the supermarket and he does not have children … not sure if this is true …

It said the police has been tipped off so quite possibly someone mentioned that to them.  

What a relief for the child's parents particularly that Cleo has been found to be physically unharmed.

Well Done WA Police, WA SES, the Federal Police and most of all, well done to the locals who spotted the perp acting suspiciously in the supermarket and immediately called the Police. 

• Thanks 1

I hate it when i have cleaned the toilets and everything is sparkling clean.

Then a few hours later i need to take a huge dump.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Parley said:

I hate it when i have cleaned the toilets and everything is sparkling clean.

Then a few hours later i need to take a huge dump.

Ye Gods Parley … really ? … 

Just now, Bottie said:

Ye Gods Parley … really ? … 

Yes. It makes you think why did i bother?

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

What a relief for the child's parents particularly that Cleo has been found to be physically unharmed.

Well Done WA Police, WA SES, the Federal Police and most of all, well done to the locals who spotted the perp acting suspiciously in the supermarket and immediately called the Police. 

I just hope we don’t get the usual “ he had a bad childhood “ / “ mental health issues “ … 

44 minutes ago, Parley said:

🤣🤣it's always the way, same with me usually as the misses has just put blu loo in the toilet 

56 minutes ago, Parley said:

solution … bottle of bleach … toilet brush … wife ! …

• Like 2