Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

17 hours ago, simmo said:

Yes, goldie up north and sunny down south.

(And brissy in the middle)

We Aussies are a lazy lot. In Melbourne we call the MCG the G.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

14 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Autumn weather definitely kicking in now in the UK. Last few weeks though have been really mild and sunny with very little rain. Mince pies starting to turn up in the office and it won't be long before Christmas lights and decorations go up. You cannot beat a winter Christmas 😉

You can. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Parley said:

That's very true, I hear Melbourne called Melbs occasionally.   But in my 30+ years in Australia, I've never heard the Gold Coast called The Goldie.   

I referred to the Sunshine Coast as the "Sunny Coast" recently to someone on Zoom, probably because I'd just read it here.   He laughed, said he'd never heard it called that - Australian, nearly 80 years old.  Must be a local thing only.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

You can. 

You certainly can in places like Germany etc. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's very true, I hear Melbourne called Melbs occasionally.   But in my 30+ years in Australia, I've never heard the Gold Coast called The Goldie.   

I referred to the Sunshine Coast as the "Sunny Coast" recently to someone on Zoom, probably because I'd just read it here.   He laughed, said he'd never heard it called that - Australian, nearly 80 years old.  Must be a local thing only.

What grates to me  is Geraldton to the north of Perth being called Gero. Rhymes with derro I suppose . Some may deem somewhat fitting. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Only poms call it Melbs.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parley said:

The "rowwwwwnahhh" is another one. We just call it covid.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 15:37, simmo said:

Yes, goldie up north and sunny down south.

(And brissy in the middle)

Only if you're holding your map upside down. 

The real question is why would anyone from Queensland want to confuse the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast with Goldie (VIC 3435) and Sunshine (VIC 3020)? Surely they don't all hanker after living in Victoria do they?

• Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Germany definitely has a winter Christmas so however good it is it's not able to beat a winter Christmas.

• Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

The whole of the northern hemisphere has a winter Christmas.  Whether it will be a white Christmas is getting rarer and rarer to experience.

30 minutes ago, Toots said:

The whole of the northern hemisphere has a winter Christmas.  Whether it will be a white Christmas is getting rarer and rarer to experience.

Don't speak too soon toots. It would be really funny if it turned really cold for cop26 in Glasgow.

I read last week that the train drivers and the bin men were going on strike. Loads of delegates couldn't get hotels in Glasgow and were planning to go in on the train from other cilties. 

That's the time to get a pay rise, when the whole world will be watching.

I've cut down my alcohol intake drastically. I now don't have any beer or wine at home and only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday or Sunday lunch time - about 6 or 7 pints over a weekend.

The biggest change in my health is I look 10 years younger. My eye bags have almost gone, generally less haggard looking and back to a single chin!

Belly fat seems to be a bit more stubborn though 😜.

I can't say I feel any fitter than before but by looking better I think you naturally feel better mentality.

Just thought I'd share.🙂

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

Finally back and up and about after removal of "many stones" from my prostate. Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as 3 days after finishing antibiotics the UTI returns and I'm back to nighttime frequency and never passing more than 80 mils day or night. What indignities did I just suffer for nil result! I actually dreamed about my catheter bag bursting at visiting time!......................sorry, too much information! 🙄😃

Then, 2 days after discharge, I arose one morning to find that I could hardly walk more than 3 paces without experiencing horrendous pain in my rt hip. GP sent me for an x ray and ultrasound, prescribed prodeine forte, and rang me after getting results saying that he couldn't see anything 'profound" and that it was most likely to be something athritic and couldn't give me anti inflammatories due to a clash with my heart meds. 

I've suffered for 2 weeks and my pain killers ran out on Thursday but luckily the pain was almost non existent yesterday and today although it comes back if I am on my feet for more than  10 minutes. Anyone experienced similar and does it come good on it's own?

Initially it was that bad I nearly phoned an ambulance to take me to A and E and then I nearly decided to start smoking again as I've had that many health problems of late that I'm of the mind that if I'm on my way out I'm going to enjoy myself before I go so 😜 to "what is bad for you"

End of Grumpy Old Bastard rant 😀

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

8 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Finally back and up and about after removal of "many stones" from my prostate. Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as 3 days after finishing antibiotics the UTI returns and I'm back to nighttime frequency and never passing more than 80 mils day or night. What indignities did I just suffer for nil result! I actually dreamed about my catheter bag bursting at visiting time!......................sorry, too much information! 🙄😃

Then, 2 days after discharge, I arose one morning to find that I could hardly walk more than 3 paces without experiencing horrendous pain in my rt hip. GP sent me for an x ray and ultrasound, prescribed prodeine forte, and rang me after getting results saying that he couldn't see anything 'profound" and that it was most likely to be something athritic and couldn't give me anti inflammatories due to a clash with my heart meds. 

I've suffered for 2 weeks and my pain killers ran out on Thursday but luckily the pain was almost non existent yesterday and today although it comes back if I am on my feet for more than  10 minutes. Anyone experienced similar and does it come good on it's own?

Initially it was that bad I nearly phoned an ambulance to take me to A and E and then I nearly decided to start smoking again as I've had that many health problems of late that I'm of the mind that if I'm on my way out I'm going to enjoy myself before I go so 😜 to "what is bad for you"

You’ve had a rough time, hope things start to improve xM

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, simmo said:

I've cut down my alcohol intake drastically. I now don't have any beer or wine at home and only drink on a Friday evening or Saturday or Sunday lunch time - about 6 or 7 pints over a weekend.

The biggest change in my health is I look 10 years younger. My eye bags have almost gone, generally less haggard looking and back to a single chin!

I can't say I feel any fitter than before but by looking better I think you naturally feel better mentality.

Just thought I'd share.🙂

Don’t you miss it though?  I don’t drink excessively but I would miss my few glasses of wine I've had this evening watching telly.

Well done though. 

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Johndoe said:

you keep on ranting Kev … it does help … it does not seem right … can you see another doctor for a second opinion ?  … 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, simmo said:

Just thought I'd share.🙂

Well done Simmo.

I used to enjoy a glass of wine or two but I've gone right off it.  Haven't had a tipple for months and months   ....................  wine that is  ..............  still enjoy a gin and bitter lemon but even that's infrequently these days.  Don't miss it at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bottie said:

you keep on ranting Kev … it does help … it does not seem right … can you see another doctor for a second opinion ?  … 

Dunno if it'll make much difference Bottie. He's been my GP for 26yrs and I trust him implicitly. Guess the hip problem just another case of aging. He did say to make another appt if it was still troubling me and we'd look at something like cortisone injections. I have a review by the consultant regarding the prostate op in another 2months. I was surprised after the op when he said he'd removed "numerous stones" as I thought you only got them in your kidneys but apparently they can end up anywhere along the "urinary route"

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 16:33, simmo said:

The "rowwwwwnahhh" is another one. We just call it covid.

I've never heard anyone call in "rona" either, except in comedy sketches.

• Congratulations 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

18 hours ago, simmo said:

Just thought I'd share.🙂

I stopped drinking 4 years ago as I have a heart condition, just best to avoid alcohol and caffeine. I was never much of a drinker so I don’t miss it. What I don’t understand is that it seems to bother people that I don’t drink. If I could have a dollar for the times someone has said ‘one drink won’t hurt you!!’ I could be rich. One day I will say, ‘well don’t you think you shouldn’t have another drink as that’s your 4th, for example, and it won’t be doing your health any good, so it might hurt you’.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Then, 2 days after discharge, I arose one morning to find that I could hardly walk more than 3 paces without experiencing horrendous pain in my rt hip. .... Anyone experienced similar and does it come good on it's own?

Not as painful as that but I've had some pretty bad hip pain in the past and had x-rays etc., with a similar "nothing profound" result, except that the GP said there was no joint involvement, so not arthritis, just take pain killers.  What, forever?  

Apparently hip pain on the outer side of the hip is more likely to be caused by muscle, ligament or tendon problems than joint problems.  It's just possible it could be referred pain from your lower back - any history there?  

There's lots of videos on Youtube on "hip pain relief".  I found my hip was too painful to even attempt most of them, but I did find some that helped.  What helped me may not help you though, so I suggest having a look yourself and giving them a try.  good luck.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Apparently hip pain on the outer side of the hip is more likely to be caused by muscle, ligament or tendon problems than joint problems.  It's just possible it could be referred pain from your lower back - any history there?  

Yes, I've had back problems for quite a number of years. The bane of ex servicemen and mountaineers who have humped heavy rucksacks for a great deal of their earlier lives. There's been vast improvements in how they are carried for a number of yrs now.

Edited by Johndoe

7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Don’t you miss it though?  I don’t drink excessively but I would miss my few glasses of wine I've had this evening watching telly.

Well done though. 

Not really. For me it was more of a way to de-stress.  I can do this by other means and going to the fridge to grab a beer or bottle of wine was more habitual, by stocking up on juice I still drink a lot but not much booze.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 04:38, Marisawright said:

Do Gold Coast residents really call it The Goldie?

They certainly do!

• Like 2

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I've never heard anyone call in "rona" either, except in comedy sketches.

It was word of the year.

Screenshot_20211031-082919_Chrome.jpg