Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

1 hour ago, BritChickx said:

Iknowcb..

Found out I got first class honours in my degree, so super happy with that 🙂

Graduation will be months away still though.

Start my job next week so getting very nervous!

Hope everyones going good??

Congratulations BritChickx … 

• Thanks 1

Iknowcb..

That's amazing!!!!  Well done, you and good luck with the new job, your patients are going to be lucky to have you to help them!!! If perfect strangers are allowed to be proud of you, count me in, I've followed your journey for a long time and you deserve all good things!

• Thanks 1

Iknowcb..

Really thrilled for you, although I only ‘know’ you through PIO, I know how hard you have worked, and have supported you long distance, you deserve your success. You will be a great nurse. x M

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Iknowcb..

I've been following your progress through your nursing degree with interest.  Very well done!!  😁

• Thanks 1

New Zealand's Maori party - Te Pati Maori - has launched a petition to change the country's official name to Aotearoa, calling for Maori place names to be officially restored in the next 5 years.  Ahead of last year's election, the party said if it won power, it would change New Zealand's name within 6 years, all towns and cities with "pekaha" (European) names would lose them by 2026 and half of all lessons in schools would be taught in Maori by 2030.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Toots said:

New Zealand's Maori party - Te Pati Maori - has launched a petition to change the country's official name to Aotearoa

I have a friend in Auckland.  She's not Maori but she's all for changing the name.  She says she's fed up of explaining, when she's overseas, that she doesn't speak Dutch or German and that New Zealand isn't in Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Iknowcb..

WELL DONE !!!!!   You have worked hard to achieve this, so give yourself a huge pat on the back BritChickx.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I have a friend in Auckland.  She's not Maori but she's all for changing the name.  She says she's fed up of explaining, when she's overseas, that she doesn't speak Dutch or German and that New Zealand isn't in Europe. 

And this would help make overseas people more intelligent? Silly idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

46 minutes ago, Toots said:

New Zealand's Maori party - Te Pati Maori - has launched a petition to change the country's official name to Aotearoa, calling for Maori place names to be officially restored in the next 5 years.  Ahead of last year's election, the party said if it won power, it would change New Zealand's name within 6 years, all towns and cities with "pekaha" (European) names would lose them by 2026 and half of all lessons in schools would be taught in Maori by 2030.

On that basis Australia should change its name too as many dumb foreigners mix it up with Austria.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Well that's not going to work. She'll have far more people asking where Aotearoa is than ever asked where New Zealand is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

2 hours ago, Toots said:

But just how much support does Te Pati Maori really have? I did a quick google and it looks as if they have 2 seats out of the 120 in the NZ Parliament and got 1.17% of the votes nationally. The attention they're getting from this publicity stunt is really what they're after and might be enough to gain another seat at the next election which is all this is really about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

6 minutes ago, Ken said:

But just how much support does Te Pati Maori really have? I did a quick google and it looks as if they have 2 seats out of the 120 in the NZ Parliament and got 1.17% of the votes nationally. The attention they're getting from this publicity stunt is really what they're after and might be enough to gain another seat at the next election which is all this is really about.

Sounds like The Greens here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Did she really say that?

Could she be telling porkies?

7 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Iknowcb..

1st class degree! Well done 👍

You should be a doctor.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Well that's not going to work. She'll have far more people asking where Aotearoa is than ever asked where New Zealand is.

Are people really that ignorant about world geography?  I knew where NZ was when I was 7 years old.  Education must have been much better way back then.  😉

Countries do change name e.g. Burma now Myanmar, Ceylon now Sri Lanka, Swaziland now Eswatini.  Why not NZ too?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toots said:

Are people really that ignorant about world geography?  I knew where NZ was when I was 7 years old.  Education must have been much better way back then.  😉

Countries do change name e.g. Burma now Myanmar, Ceylon now Sri Lanka, Swaziland now Eswatini.  Why not NZ too?

In the people of NZ want to change it then why not (well provided they don't whinge about having to constantly explain which country they are for several decades) - but they shouldn't be bullied into it by some racist minority party pretending it's politically correct for their history to count for more than anyone else's history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ken said:

In the people of NZ want to change it then why not (well provided they don't whinge about having to constantly explain which country they are for several decades) - but they shouldn't be bullied into it by some racist minority party pretending it's politically correct for their history to count for more than anyone else's history.

It was years before I realized Bombay had changed its name.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

20 hours ago, ali said:

Huge congratulations - being friends away from PIO, I know how much this has meant to you and how much you've invested.  You totally deserve to be happy with your efforts and reward.  I'm sure you'll make an excellent nurse and wish you every success in your career xxx

Aww thanks Ali 🙂 I hope so! Hopefully one day I can meet you and some others when I finally get over permanently. x

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bottie said:

Congratulations BritChickx … 

Thanks 😄 hope you're doing ok in WA?

20 hours ago, Quoll said:

That's amazing!!!!  Well done, you and good luck with the new job, your patients are going to be lucky to have you to help them!!! If perfect strangers are allowed to be proud of you, count me in, I've followed your journey for a long time and you deserve all good things!

Thank you 🙂 really kind of you to say. You never know, if I make it over for good and im in your area ill give you a shout! 

15 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

WELL DONE !!!!!   You have worked hard to achieve this, so give yourself a huge pat on the back BritChickx.

Thanks very much 😄 

18 hours ago, Toots said:

I've been following your progress through your nursing degree with interest.  Very well done!!  😁

Thank you!! x

19 hours ago, ramot said:

Really thrilled for you, although I only ‘know’ you through PIO, I know how hard you have worked, and have supported you long distance, you deserve your success. You will be a great nurse. x M

That's lovely, thank you 🙂 as above hopefullly if I make it over for good there'll be chances to cross each others paths! 

• Like 1

Our container arrived in London today 🤩 six months to the day since it was packed in Victoria!  Still has to go through customs and then find a delivery lorry ….but it’s on dry land!

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 2

3 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks 😄 hope you're doing ok in WA?

Thank you 🙂 really kind of you to say. You never know, if I make it over for good and im in your area ill give you a shout! 

Thanks very much 😄 

Thank you!! x

That's lovely, thank you 🙂 as above hopefullly if I make it over for good there'll be chances to cross each others paths! 

I might need a nurse by then! So you will be very welcome xM

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Toots said:

A name already long in use on the fringe. I think it sounds great.   Why not replace the existing name ? I'm not sure though I'd support a name change of all towns and cities though. A few would be acceptable if the population agree but not a broad stroke white wash of existing names. A good idea Maori becomes a  language learnt by all. Half of lessons? Probably too extreme. But to make the country bilingual would enhance identity on a global scale.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Our container arrived in London today 🤩 six months to the day since it was packed in Victoria!  Still has to go through customs and then find a delivery lorry ….but it’s on dry land!

At least not lost at sea. It seems a number of containers do go adrift every year causing navigational hazards and loss to owners. 

15 hours ago, Toots said:

Many are unfortunately. The English speaking world outside of The States, perhaps, should know of New Zealand , but the vagueness magnifies in many other countries around the world. I suppose many around the globe would struggle where to place Paraguay on a world map? Countries do change name and some     have been calling it Aotearoa  , especially left leaning commentators for a considerable time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does it really need to take nearly a week to approve a new thread? Asking for a friend.

• Like 2