Guest guest33730

I know no one will care but...........

I do like Laylah. I'm cheering for her.

I want it all, and I want it now.

3 hours ago, Lavers said:

A new British star 🥳🥳

She was great. The first time I have seen Emma play. 

I had seen the other girl a few times including beating Osaka earlier in the tournament. Both players are very likeable so a shame one of them had to lose today.

It is nice to have a British champion again. The women's game is so open at the moment, every grand slam seems to throw up a different winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Parley said:

I had seen the other girl a few times including beating Osaka earlier in the tournament. Both players are very likeable so a shame one of them had to lose today.

It is nice to have a British champion again. The women's game is so open at the moment, every grand slam seems to throw up a different winner.

You have to love it. It was a fantastic game.

Ironically there was a piece in the express about Emma winning and Brexit blah blah blah. But the picture that they titled as Emma is actually Leylah Fernandez. Why am I not surprised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

5 hours ago, Parley said:

If she carries on playing the way she has been (9 matches without dropping a single set) it's not going to stay open! That said she was an unknown quantity in this competition. Her competitors now have plenty of video to study to try to figure out a way to beat her.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

15 minutes ago, Ken said:

If she carries on playing the way she has been (9 matches without dropping a single set) it's not going to stay open! That said she was an unknown quantity in this competition. Her competitors now have plenty of video to study to try to figure out a way to beat her.

Actually I thought they were very evenly matched. Leylah had the better serve which is important, but she also seemed to be missing her first serve alot. If she can improve on this it would vastly improve her game. 

Emma seems to suffer badly with the heat which is going to be something she needs to deal with.

But they both play a brilliant game. They both played well under pressure, just playing a point at a time. The pressure was obvious on Emma as she approached match point, but she bought it back under control.

Shame they had to interrupt minutes before the end, but Emma was bleeding so they really had no choice.

I hope we get to see them play again many more times in the future.

21 minutes ago, Ken said:

Nice to see 2 young girls in the final, just the beginning for them both.

• Like 2

I was looking at my ancient collection of albums.  I've hung to them for years and at one time nearly got rid of them but I still give them a spin now and again.  A few friends have been staying with us this weekend and we were discussing the music we listened to eons ago.  I was quite surprised to realise that many of my albums are over 50 years old.  😮 😱  I checked out some of them that turned 50 this year.

Imagine                 John Lennon

Aqualung               Jethro Tull

Man In Black         Johnny Cash

Sticky Fingers        Rolling Stones

Meddle                      Pink Floyd

Hunky Dory             David Bowie

Bryter Layter          Nick Drake

Led Zeppelin 1V     Led Zeppelin                         ....................................  and many others

Made me feel quite nostalgic.  🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I was looking at my ancient collection of albums.  I've hung to them for years and at one time nearly got rid of them but I still give them a spin now and again.  A few friends have been staying with us this weekend and we were discussing the music we listened to eons ago.  I was quite surprised to realise that many of my albums are over 50 years old.  😮 😱  I checked out some of them that turned 50 this year.

Led Zeppelin 1V     Led Zeppelin                         ....................................  and many others

That's really a very, very desirable collection. I subsequently dived in to my vinyl and found:

The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie ( I bought in the 70's, I think)

Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan (early 70's)

Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones and great drumming by Charlie Watts (early 80s)

Selling England By the Pound - Genesis, with Peter Gabriel, ( mid 70s)

Machine Head - Deep Purple (early 70s)

Slade Alive (early 70s)

Electric Ladyland -Jimi Hendrix ( Late 60s)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toots said:

kilroy.png.7470ec1c7765298c87bf523cf4c85470.png

Wot abaht opera?

Cheers, Bobj.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Toots said:

I thought I had every pink Floyd album at one time or another, but I don't recognize the songs apart from one of these days. 

Wild horses was a good song from the stones. Always preferred the stones to the Beatles.

I never owned a record player, and by the time my parents had enough money to buy one I had moved out of home. I only had cassettes and CDs. Cassettes sadly didn't last.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobj said:

kilroy.png.7470ec1c7765298c87bf523cf4c85470.png

Wot abaht opera?

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm not an opera fan Bob.  I appreciate the singers voices but no, I couldn't sit through an opera.  Just not my cup of tea.  😉

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Toots said:

I'm not an opera fan Bob.  I appreciate the singers voices but no, I couldn't sit through an opera.  Just not my cup of tea.  😉

I think it's incredible what opera singers can do with their voices, but I find the sound unattractive and unnatural.  Sometimes you'll see an opera star singing a pop song on TV in their normal voice, and they have a lovely clear, natural tone.  Then they switch into their "opera" voice and I can't listen to it.  I have been to see a full opera twice (got free tickets) and found them interminable.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

49 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think it's incredible what opera singers can do with their voices, but I find the sound unattractive and unnatural.  Sometimes you'll see an opera star singing a pop song on TV in their normal voice, and they have a lovely clear, natural tone.  Then they switch into their "opera" voice and I can't listen to it.  I have been to see a full opera twice (got free tickets) and found them interminable.

I like a bit of nessun dorma.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My Dad used to listen to Kathleen Ferrier records.  She isn't classed as an opera singer but had a lovely deep voice.  I think she was contralto.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Toots said:

My Dad used to listen to Kathleen Ferrier records.  She isn't classed as an opera singer but had a lovely deep voice.  I think she was contralto.

That’s taken me back! Remember her singing ‘Oh my beloved father’ 

• Like 1

What an achievement. The Golden Grand Slam completed today at the US Open.

Congratulations Dylan Alcott. What a legend of tennis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parley said:

What an achievement. The Golden Grand Slam completed today at the US Open.

Congratulations Dylan Alcott. What a legend of tennis.

Hope he gets the credit he deserves. What an achievement.  There’s more to tennis than just  the men and women singles players, who get all the publicity and accolade. Not detracting from from their skill, and the amazing win by Emma Raducanu, but you don’t often hear any reports about the doubles major tournament winners, they all deserve equal respect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

She was my Mum's favourite singer.   And yes she was a Contralto.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

image.thumb.png.e539c9946f2ba6ec0b5f51c69d161106.pngA qualifier, 18 years old, first professional title, didn't drop a set, 2nd grand slam appearance. The greatest sporting achievement of all time? 

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2021 at 16:15, Toots said:

Nick Drake, that would be a classic. I have all but 2 of those, Nick Drake being one of them. The first album I bought was Led Zep 1. My Mum and Dad bought me and old record player for Christmas and I'd disappear into the kitchen every night and just about wear that album out.

I have over 200 LP's still and gave a lot away when we emigrated. Bought a USB turntable and started ripping them all to mp3's a few years back. My wife decided the turntable was taking up too much space though so it got retired to above my LP storage. Have to get back into that project now I'm retired.

On 12/09/2021 at 15:43, Lavers said:

Nice to see 2 young girls in the final, just the beginning for them both.

Playing without fear, nothing to lose when you're young. Osaka and Barty will be kicking themselves.

Brilliant win though. Like someone said the other top players and their coaches will be analysing their play now, finding weaknesses, other top players will be more switched on when they meet them.

They both have extreme talent and will make heaps of money. I hope they can be at the top for a while, good to see new faces.

Glad Djokovitch lost too.

17 hours ago, Red Rose said:

image.thumb.png.e539c9946f2ba6ec0b5f51c69d161106.pngA qualifier, 18 years old, first professional title, didn't drop a set, 2nd grand slam appearance. The greatest sporting achievement of all time? 

Hang on a minute. If she manages to win the next one great, don't be putting too much expectation on her yet.

• Like 1

Iknowcb..

Found out I got first class honours in my degree, so super happy with that 🙂

Graduation will be months away still though.

Start my job next week so getting very nervous!

Hope everyones going good??

• Thanks 3
  • Congratulations 10

53 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Iknowcb..

Found out I got first class honours in my degree, so super happy with that 🙂

Graduation will be months away still though.

Start my job next week so getting very nervous!

Hope everyones going good??

Huge congratulations - being friends away from PIO, I know how much this has meant to you and how much you've invested.  You totally deserve to be happy with your efforts and reward.  I'm sure you'll make an excellent nurse and wish you every success in your career xxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows